1996 MGF for sale - £450,now Purchased by DVee8

Station

I had this up for sale last year - I lost track of the thread, and winter was approaching, etc.

This is my friend's, she bought it in 2007. It's called 'Ruby'. She doesn't know how to sell, so I'm doing it for her.

It has had a new engine, radiator, underfloor coolant pipes, balljoints, 'spheres', etc etc. It's had pretty much everything replaced in it's life time. I put EPAS in, I malso made it switchable as it's good for parking, but the feel is great without on a drive. I did all the work myself.

It still runs fine, it doesn't overheat. Photos from last year:

14094730490_d3677efe85_h.jpg

14094682579_8a093828bc_h.jpg

14094779407_73e171d00c_h.jpg

I put a new door, front wing and bonnet on a few months ago (they were keyed in the above photos). It polishes up really well. Will put a new tyre on the alloy (it is sat on the spare at the moment). There are a few bits on the body, but otherwise it could be driven without any fixing. One key and one fob.

It doesn't get used - it has done an incredible 145,000 miles, but doesn't show it at all. The only rust is on the new wing on the front bottom lip! Will come with 12 months MOT.

Yes, it's a nice little car, she will be very sad to see it go, but can no longer use it as it's 'too big'.

The new engine had done under 10,000 miles (I can't remember exactly), I changed the belt, head bolts, tensioner, metal guides and the MLS head gasket for Payen ones before putting it in, it has never overheated.

5370807262_2a055d7f13_o.jpg

5572681174_1041832042_o.jpg

Subframe was stripped and zinc/stonechip and then 2 pack black painted:

5364268144_f852b57f4c_o.jpg

5370834046_2419a0bfea_o.jpg

New rad, pipes etc:

5572626074_f4828917f8_o.jpg

5509824307_6c628343cd_o.jpg

New spheres:

5512956274_57990b605d_o.jpg

Pumped up:

5523271607_0a9eb96125_o.jpg

Car can come with either the black or the silver alloys, it's up to you.

I used to have a TF, cracking little car. The F's are just as good with a reportedly nicer ride because of the hydragas spheres.

The TFs have no ride quality at all. Work's had the heady combination of arse tyres and knackered shifter cables. Overall it was horrible to drive. How TFs sell for double the price of decent 'F is beyond me. The only place a TF would be quicker thsn a F would be on a fast, flat, radiused track like Castle Combe.

Red was a really common colour for 'Fs, but BMW hated the buck it was shown sprayed in this aforementioned shade. A quick change to BRG and the Germans were smitten, or so the story goes.

Sierraman: Bang it on ebay, there's people with more money than sense putting solid roofs on a floppytop car all day long - £250 plus easily.

I would if it was a bargain, like cheaper than replacing the rear plastic screen, but I suspect your FIL is not an idiot and will want decent coin for it.

Utter bargain. Driving position is fine as long as you don't have arthritis (reason I sold mine). Get it bought folks, this is one very sorted F.

You sit on it, rather than in it, imo.

Akin to sitting at a bar stool and resting your drink on a coffee table.

Each to their own, and all that!

You sit on it, rather than in it, imo.

Akin to sitting at a bar stool and resting your drink on a coffee table.

Each to their own, and all that!

not quite sure I get that description? Mine fits nice, roof up or down and I'm a touch over my fighting weight and 6'3"

not quite sure I get that description? Mine fits nice, roof up or down and I'm a touch over my fighting weight and 6'3"

5' 11" and about 14.5st, so no featherweight, either - if not so tall.

My gripe is the seats are too high, and as a result, you are looking down at the dials and reaching down for the wheel.

Dunno if that makes sense?

I'm 6' and fat, and I love the position, I find it really low. I am mostly leg though so the wheel is straight ahead rather than down, and the seat is all the way back.

Probably matters what you've got out of though, if I get out the Touran which is pretty van-like, the F feels like I'm sitting slightly below ground level.

I'm 6' and fat, and I love the position, I find it really low. I am mostly leg though so the wheel is straight ahead rather than down, and the seat is all the way back.

Probably matters what you've got out of though, if I get out the Touran which is pretty van-like, the F feels like I'm sitting slightly below ground level.

I do want to like them.

When I drove Shitpipes, I had just stepped out of my MR2, and that is a pretty tough act to follow, for driving positions, I suppose.

For me, it felt as though a lower seat would transform it.

Gave this a good clean today and booked I for MOT this week.
I forgot how nice these look and I think red is the best colour - you rally don't see red ones at all now, I think they dropped the COF Flame Red colour after 1997, it lasted for one year. That rear end photo is a beauty.
I would definitely have another one of these and put a different engine in as the whole HGF the previous engine had put me off k-series for life, although it had done 140000 miles on the original one, and it did fail because of a cracked cylinder liner.

Not big on F's myself but this one looks really nice. I've seen properly shite ones with bigger price tags on them. I can't quite understand why they are still so cheap, like I said, I'm not a great fan but they seem underpriced to me. If I had the space I'd buy this/one like it and store it away for a couple of years then flog it when the prices had shot up - which they will.