Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Maybe, but all I need is a lace on or stitch on cover like every accessory shop used to stock for a 13 inch wheel.There are plenty on the internet but I have tried 3 and they are all mis labled.

I have been told about an old fashion accessory shop in Wolverton and I will go and check them out while collecting my Visa 652cc that now has a new MOT tomorrow.

How difficult can it be to buy a 13 inch steering wheel cover!

I went to the shop in Wolverton and they only had stretch overs for 14-15 inch wheels, the next one I tried in Badwell, but it has been turned into flats, no. 3 in Stoney Stratford only has 14-15 inch stretch covers the same as the Buckingham shop. Buckingham shop phoned there supplier Motorserv in MK who only do 15 inch covers.

If anybody goes into there local accessory shop please look for 13 inch wheel covers for me.

Might be worth giving these guys a call?

https://www.autocareturriff.com/

When I was last there (admittedly a couple of years ago) they had quite a lot of old accessories like this tucked away in dusty corners. A fair ways off obviously, but if they've got one I can probably arrange a mate to pick it up and post down to us.

Worth a call/email at least.

It turns out this is one of the Steering wheel covers I have. Do or die, I gave it another go to stretch it until it broke or fitted, it went on.

Next problem, description said for wheels 3-5 cm rim thickness and mine is comfortably in that range, but it does not go round the rim properly. The box in the small print says max rim thickness ½ inch, no wonder.

Anyway I have fitted it, rather untidily and torn a hole, but it feels nicer to hold than before.

post-4787-0-27855300-1534960901_thumb.jpg

Strange changing world, my 1974 Peugeot 504 is in a trim shop 30 miles away and is unlikely to be ready for the road until next year at the earliest, today I taxed it.

It had not been changed it to historic tax class so I had go to the post office with a MOT declaration form V112, sign the V5 to agree it be changed from PLG to Historic and now it is taxed for free! 

No tax disc is a disappointment and all I got was a till print out.

post-4787-0-84397400-1534962431_thumb.jpg

At last I seem to have sorted the misfire on my BMW E30, the autosparks diagnosis was right, HT leads.

It was not all plain sailing because there is a pulse counter on HT lead six that needed to be plugged in, that involved getting the camera on a stick out to see which way the clip released and then route the cable. Also the king lead was coming out of the conduit in the wrong place and when I opened it, I had HT leads everywhere.

post-4787-0-52986700-1534963192_thumb.jpg

The car had been out on loan and since it is back under braking something rolled into my feet but disappeared again, at last I got the object but was is it?

post-4787-0-34337200-1534963052_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-65125800-1534963069_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-05433900-1534963103_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-17665900-1534963136_thumb.jpg

It turns out this is one of the Steering wheel covers I have. Do or die, I gave it another go to stretch it until it broke or fitted, it went on.

Next problem, description said for wheels 3-5 cm rim thickness and mine is comfortably in that range, but it does not go round the rim properly. The box in the small print says max rim thickness ½ inch, no wonder.

Anyway I have fitted it, rather untidily and torn a hole, but it feels nicer to hold than before.

Get yourself a cheapo leather jacket from a charity shop and make your own; make sure the leather is well soaked so it shrinks on.

Yes, and apparently they don't fit properly as supplied, just like the originals, so some tweaking is required....

EFA

The car had been out on loan and since it is back under braking something rolled into my feet but disappeared again, at last I got the object but was is it?

Cheap buttplug, just so you can give them knowing looks for ages before asking about it.

Do we have any 1970s VW lickers who can tell me about their wipers

Having managed to find a wiper spindle I thought I was sorted, but it turns out wiper arms are not that easy to get now and one of mine is knackered.

Looking at pictures of Bay campers and possibly 1970s Beatles they may have similar wipers, does anybody have one to check for me?

The spindle is tapered and has a nut on it. The wipers are set up like a LHD car so looking at the windscreen the end of the arm kinks left.

From the centre of the hole to the end of the metal arm not counting the plastic is approx 320mm

Does anybody know wear to buy bolt on wiper arms?

post-4787-0-17687200-1535309570_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-85205700-1535309728_thumb.jpg

Strange changing world, my 1974 Peugeot 504 is in a trim shop 30 miles away and is unlikely to be ready for the road until next year at the earliest, today I taxed it.

It had not been changed it to historic tax class so I had go to the post office with a MOT declaration form V112, sign the V5 to agree it be changed from PLG to Historic and now it is taxed for free! 

No tax disc is a disappointment and all I got was a till print out.

yeah right you went for the cake :P

Do we have any 1970s VW lickers who can tell me about their wipers

Having managed to find a wiper spindle I thought I was sorted, but it turns out wiper arms are not that easy to get now and one of mine is knackered.

Looking at pictures of Bay campers and possibly 1970s Beatles they may have similar wipers, does anybody have one to check for me?

The spindle is tapered and has a nut on it. The wipers are set up like a LHD car so looking at the windscreen the end of the arm kinks left.

From the centre of the hole to the end of the metal arm not counting the plastic is approx 320mm

Does anybody know wear to buy bolt on wiper arms?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-VW-Bay-Window-Campervan-Windscreen-Window-Wiper-Arm-Black-T2-Bus-1969-79/111820130814

long enough big enough and yes :D

if you google the OE number he gives you - you get this from two

other very well known vw places that have been trading longer than ive been alive :lol:

https://www.vwheritage.com/211955409b-wiper-arm-left-or-right-black-vw-spare

https://www.justkampers.com/211-955-409-b-windscreen-wiper-arm-black-t2-bay-1969-1979.html

*slaps chris with vulgs hat