Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Hey I could use the fuel pipe off that 75, the one that plugs into the fuel rail and has an integral clip that clicks it into the rail. I could probably use the inlet manifold too actually if my repair strategy turns to shit.

You are welcome to what ever you need, the garage that did some work on my 75 Tourer took some parts from the inlet manifold to make the Tourer run better.

If it is something that is simple to unscrew from the top I can get it off for you, if not you will need to get it off yourself or wait for a Field of Dreams open day when I am sure somebody will volunteer to help.

post-4787-0-17393100-1519937612_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-06929800-1519937694_thumb.jpg

The Audi 80 heater matrix is a dash out job. Probably a couple of days to do it yourself - a days work at a garage who’ve done one before. It deserves to be fixed as it’s a special car; I just don’t have the balls.

I don't fancy doing it but the alternative is a spares or repair ad so I will have to give it a go to keep the car.

As the snow melts car thoughts are returning, like why is the back rest on the rear passenger side on our 740 estate stuck upright?

Mrs6C first reported she could not put the seat down, I had a go and broke the plastic handle in the seat back, but the metal part is still there and operates the outer catch. The inner catch will not release and I can expose some of the catch by putting down the other 1/3 of the seat and lifting the hinged board that makes a flat floor. I have had a poke with a screwdriver and can't make it do anything.

Has anybody experience of the rear seats on a Volvo 740 and can tell me how to release the catch?

post-4787-0-65068600-1520164149_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-52097000-1520164160_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-13709200-1520164413_thumb.jpg

As the snow melts car thoughts are returning, like why is the back rest on the rear passenger side on our 740 estate stuck upright?

Mrs6C first reported she could not put the seat down, I had a go and broke the plastic handle in the seat back, but the metal part is still there and operates the outer catch. The inner catch will not release and I can expose some of the catch by putting down the other 1/3 of the seat and lifting the hinged board that makes a flat floor. I have had a poke with a screwdriver and can't make it do anything.

Has anybody experience of the rear seats on a Volvo 740 and can tell me how to release the catch? Yes Mrs6C and she just did.

FTFY... :-)

Yes Mrs6C has put her hand in the armrest hole, pulled the rod hiding there that is connected to the catch and it released. It turns out the outer catch was in the locked position but not in place and a tweak with pliers released it. We have clipped the seat back into position several times and it released fine every time. I am hoping it was just twisted and will continue to work.

The only thing is now I have a broken plastic release catch in the backrest, anybody got a spare one?

post-4787-0-98578300-1520273800_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-80652600-1520273976_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-85738800-1520274649_thumb.jpg

If it’s any consolation (probably not!) my rear seat release handles are snapped off too. The plastic is really brittle and just shattered when I tried to lift it. All that’s left is the little metal stub.

God knows how I’m going to fix it?

If the handle stub can be removed I did wonder about trying to fabricate a new one from steel, weld it to the original broken metal stub then paint it in interior trim colour.

I have a new toy to play with, 2009 Citroen C3 Picasso VTR Plus 1.4 petrol 30,000 miles, I know , I know not news worthy which is why I put it in my own thread.

Anyway it is not mine, but it is mine to use and store while it is up for sale for the friend who helped me get my BX running.

post-4787-0-34878400-1520441400_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I see that you have also parked your 4x4 behind all the 2wd cars thus requiring slithering and shovelling nonsense before driving to the pub for lunch.

Its downhill, just make sure the road is clear as you slide gracefully across it into the hedge

Chatting car nonsense has got me out of my chair and into the garage.

Well at least for a few minutes to repair the damage I did to the E30. After a winter on the drive partly because it would not start at Christmas and partly because I wanted to use it, it has finally had space made for it to go in the garage at home and dry out. I needed to leave the boot open and to avoid disconnecting the battery and disabling the windows I thought I would take the boot light bulb out, instead I blew the fuse trying.  

post-4787-0-93614200-1521376187_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-62798500-1521376198_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-69614500-1521376210_thumb.jpg

The Mercedes’ bootlight switch pulls out to turn off the bulb if you need to leave the boot open for a while. A very good feature.

Also interesting to note that bmw has the blade fuses in 1989 but Mercedes still had the useless ceramic bullets in the mid nineties.

The Mercedes’ bootlight switch pulls out to turn off the bulb if you need to leave the boot open for a while. A very good feature.

Also interesting to note that bmw has the blade fuses in 1989 but Mercedes still had the useless ceramic bullets in the mid nineties.

I have just been and tried the boot light switch in case it locked but no such luck.