Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

The next glitch was google maps on my Samsung phone saying walk down this street a bit further and turn left, then it could not find me and when it did it said you have walked a long way past the street you needed!

In the end the seller drove out and found me, I then found myself getting into a blacked out van with a man I didn't know in a strange part of London.

The Fuel was just above red so I stopped for diesel on the embankment and for the restart it turned slowly and soon had a flat battery. I had to push it off the pump.

My phone was down to 3% so no more live breakdown posts, with my last volt I called the AA!

The AA man put a jump pack on it and it would not start turning rather slowly, easy start and it would still not go, then the long jump leads from the Van and it went. He put his tester on it and said the alternator was giving 14v but the battery was no good.

Now the sales pitch, I can replace that for you he said. Me won't that be rather expensive from you, the reply it has a 5 year guarantee and the bit that rubbed me up the wrong way, if you choose to drive it home and need a jump again you won't be covered now the fault had been diagnosed and you have not taken the appropriate action.

post-4787-0-93644100-1508339947_thumb.jpg

To be fair to the AA, when I collected the 'free' Volvo and suffered alternator replacement, he said he could replace it, but I'd be far better off finding somewhere locally. Which was nice of him! He was thrilled to be working on a simple, old car...

Glad you got back though! Nice little caper that, AND you visited the dungeon.

To be fair to the AA, when I collected the 'free' Volvo and suffered alternator replacement, he said he could replace it, but I'd be far better off finding somewhere locally. Which was nice of him! He was thrilled to be working on a simple, old car...

Yeah when my Xantia had a throttle cable snap the guy loved the car and was full of praise for it.

Although when my BX wouldn't start I jokingly quipped 'bet you don't see many of these' to which he replied 'my job is to assist with starting issues'.

I didn't bother elaborating.

Was this the AX replacement?

A reversal, where you have gone for a V8 and me a 4 cyl diesel from a brand I have no history with.

Yeah when my Xantia had a throttle cable snap the guy loved the car and was full of praise for it.

Although when my BX wouldn't start I jokingly quipped 'bet you don't see many of these' to which he replied 'my job is to assist with starting issues'.

I didn't bother elaborating.

Was this the AX replacement?

Exactly the same here, the guy was so happy to have something simple to work on when my clutch linkage went in the dark, in the snow! He said it was the first shout he's had in months that didn't need his box plugging in!

Red Raspberry Car

I was working slowly in my study
My boss was Mrs6C
She told me several times that she didn't like my time(wasting)
Cause I was a bit too leisurely
Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
But different than the day before
That's when I saw her, Ooh, I saw her
She walked in through the Autoshite for(um)
She was a...

Red Raspberry car
The kind you find second-hand in a town
Red Raspberry car
And if it was warm the windows wind right down
Red Raspberry car
I think I drove her

Built like she was
I had the nerve to ask the price
And I planned to drive her home
So, look here
I put her on my insurance
And-a we went driving
Down from south London's dungeon
I said wow, overdrive never turned me on
But something about the colour
And her rust
She was so bright
But I could tell when she failed to proceed
She knew how to give just clicks
She was a...

Red Raspberry car
Red Raspberry car
Red Raspberry car
I think I drove her

The rain sounds so cool when it hits the car roof
And that horsepower - you wonder what you bought
Thunder drowns out as the AA man says
He deals batteries from his car
Listen, he says the first time is the only free one
But I tell you, if I had the chance to do it all again
I wouldn't recharge the battery
Cause baby I'm the most
With a car as fine as this was then

Red Raspberry car
Red Raspberry car
Red Raspberry car
I think I drove her

Red Raspberry has been given a full night of electricity and is reading full. It started fine 3 times.

Now the drop tester, it started out on 9v which is ok if not great. But soon dropped to 6v which is not good. It pains me to say it I think the AA man was right and the battery is well past its best.

(For those unfamiliar with a battery drop tester it loads the battery by putting a large resistor across it and draws high current. You watch how high the voltage starts and how long it takes to drop away to assess the condition of the battery, but will only work on a fully charged battery. Some experience is necessary as different battery sizes vary the result, I have 38 years with access to a drop tester. When batteries had cell caps it was even more useful because you could watch for bubbling in the cells which was a certain dead cell.) 

I have now fitted a battery off another car and we will see how I get on.

post-4787-0-61760700-1508409495_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-58152100-1508409509_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-11702000-1508409520_thumb.jpg

Didn't realise you had what I thought was called as a high-discharge tester. Ooh Er Missus.

Drop tester just sounds like you drop the battery from higher and higher until it breaks!

Maybe volt-drop tester would be a good description.

The Maxi can need cranking for 30 seconds or so when it has been standing for a while to get the fuel up to the carb, and a couple of times the battery has gone flat before the engine has fired.

I asked the local battery emporium to check it for me last week, expecting them to use one of these.

All they did was check the off-load voltage, which I had already done, and pronouced the battery good, which they can't possibly tell just from this.

Maybe the next time the Maxi visits you we could test it out properly. After 38 years I am confident that you know what to do with it.

Didn't realise you had what I thought was called as a high-discharge tester. Ooh Er Missus.

Drop tester just sounds like you drop the battery from higher and higher until it breaks!

Maybe volt-drop tester would be a good description.

The Maxi can need cranking for 30 seconds or so when it has been standing for a while to get the fuel up to the carb, and a couple of times the battery has gone flat before the engine has fired.

I asked the local battery emporium to check it for me last week, expecting them to use one of these.

All they did was check the off-load voltage, which I had already done, and pronouced the battery good, which they can't possibly tell just from this.

Maybe the next time the Maxi visits you we could test it out properly. After 38 years I am confident that you know what to do with it.

When I started working in a Motor parts Store in in 1979 I was shown how to use the battery tester and they called it a "drop tester" so I guess I am not going to be able to call it a new name now.

And yes of course we can test the Maxi battery, but it should be fully charged and disconnected from the car.