Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

Apologies if I've missed it - but where is the field of dreams located? I'm going to be doing collections of one or another - so would love to drop in and meet n greet……… PM me if that's OK dude.

PM sent.

Anybody who needs the address please PM me and I will send it by return.

I will not be posting the address on here as it can be read by non members.

I see you have sourced a replacement door too! What's the plan next? Reckon you'll go for a full exterior respray?

Not yet, there are at least two wheel bearings and a front sticky calipars along with a couple of electrical gremlins to be delt with before it comes home.

We then want to enjoy driving it as it will be that time of year, dealing with the grumbles as we go. Pride of Longbridge, National Allegro Day, BL Gaydon and BL Autumn Day are all on the plan.

Painting will have to wait until the winter season.

Some Vanden Plas updates:

A tad of metal needed letting into the bulkhead:

post-22262-0-42712700-1551999230_thumb.jpg

The new engine:

post-22262-0-09913100-1551999148_thumb.jpg

Bulkhead repairs finished and the new engine fitted:

post-22262-0-18025200-1551999158_thumb.jpg

New foglight and indicator lens fitted:

post-22262-0-55274600-1551999127_thumb.jpg

Dent knocked out of front wing:

post-22262-0-88194300-1551999182_thumb.jpg

New rear door in Autoshite beige - with bonus coachstripe!

post-22262-0-10146900-1551999195_thumb.jpg

Leather cleaned and fed, picnic tables polished and a new carpet set:

post-22262-0-41309500-1551999865_thumb.jpg

Count the pedals!

post-22262-0-30869300-1551999171_thumb.jpg

Ready to go out for ice creams:

post-22262-0-30250100-1551999205_thumb.jpg

Ice cream run completed! :-)

video-1551987008.mp4

If you are planning to visit the Field of Dreams  on Sunday 17th March and if you need the address please PM me, as I will not be publishing it and on the day communications may be a bit hit and miss.

The plan is to open up at 10am and finish 3-4 pm depending on the weather and we might even go to the house afterwards.

If you want to camp/car camp before/after that is fine just pm me.

It is a car like any other and has led me a right song and dance for the last two years with a carburettor diagram slitting and pissing petrol out, just when I had to get it moved. Then a core plug leaking and a second, dead starter, manifold water leak, ignition feed stopped working and electric fan stopped working.

Finally today a friend came over and beat it into submission! Yes after 18 months it finally works again.

He thought it was nice I let him take it for a test drive, me I did not want the walk home if it all ground to a halt!

post-4787-0-30588200-1552508869_thumb.jpg

It is a car like any other and has led me a right song and dance for the last two years with a carburettor diagram slitting and pissing petrol out, just when I had to get it moved. Then a core plug leaking and a second, dead starter, manifold water leak, ignition feed stopped working and electric fan stopped working.

Finally today a friend came over and beat it into submission! Yes after 18 months it finally works again.

He thought it was nice I let him take it for a test drive, me I did not want the walk home if it all ground to a halt!

I’m happy for you, but it does nothing for me I’m afraid. Perhaps it’s an age thing. I like the 120, 140 and 150 and the mk2 ( not mk 1) but not the e. They look over- bodied to me, perhaps a wider track would help.

I’m happy for you, but it does nothing for me I’m afraid. Perhaps it’s an age thing. I like the 120, 140 and 150 and the mk2 ( not mk 1) but not the e. They look over- bodied to me, perhaps a wider track would help.

Every one to there own, but these have been a lifetime love for me and this one I have had for 36 years!

I’m probably just odd and in a minority.

You are not the first to not like an E Type, but I find an XK150 heavy and old fashion to drive.

But I am all over the place and get enjoyment from almost any car, I am even looking forward to getting the VP 1500 back next week and running it! 

The E type is gorgeous. Simple as that.

The fact you have such a long-term bond with it, and saved it when it was crumbling is a testament to your determination/insanity, and makes it all the more special, in my eyes.

The E type is gorgeous. Simple as that.

The fact you have such a long-term bond with it, and saved it when it was crumbling is a testament to your determination/insanity, and makes it all the more special, in my eyes.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate them, and think the coupe better proportioned, but when my premium bonds come up, or I sell the company to a gullible billionaire it won’t be on my shopping list.