Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

There is a bit of history to this Alfa Giulietta 2.0.

We have know the Giulietta since 1994 when our friend Steve bought it, Rob is still a friend who lives a mile from me and Alfa Services Northampton was the garage Andy worked for before setting up his own Alfa garage.

Steve bought it from a scrap yard in Buckingham and then drove it as a daily car having it fixed and improved by Alfa Services. He then sold it to Rob who used it as daily and sold it to Alfa Services as a loan car. Steve then bought it back and as he had an attachment for the car, but had to move and lost all his lovely storage. Now off the road and non running he offered it to us knowing that if we took it on it would be saved. I turned it down, step in Mrs6C and in spite of my protests of "what sort of mate are you" Steve offered it to Mrs6C for £1 on the basis it would be safe with her. I knew Mrs6C does not carry cash so the sale could not proceed and we would all be spared years of dealing with a difficult motor car, somehow she miraculously manage to produce a pound coin and handed it to Steve before I could stop her, which why we are all in the position we are!

post-4787-0-55192000-1550928150_thumb.jpg

Steve back a few years ago.

post-4787-0-52840000-1550928160_thumb.jpg

Following weekend I could have come up and helped out (if you consider a fat bloke standing around with his hands in his pockets as help), good luck all.

There will be other play days at the Field of Dreams.

Not least because the guys have done so well getting the Spitfire Mk3 with 2.5 6 cylinder engine working, that I want to push on and make it safe and legal to drive on the road.

How about 6/7 April, maybe a day over Easter or is that intruding on family time? I like the idea of an early assessment of what is needed so I can get any parts, even if we don't do a lot. I know I am going to need tyres so will need to put the Spitfire on stands while I get them put on. Then my next free weekend is 25/26 May and I have booked sunshine in the hope some might join me that weekend in the Field of Dreams.

post-4787-0-21983500-1550931899_thumb.jpg

Then 15/16 June or 22/23 June are possible dates. Remember you can work on you own stuff and don't have to work on ours to be welcomed. 

I will open the field of dreams for camping during the Festival of the Unexceptional weekend around the 20th July.

I can also open it for Autoshiters camping by request at other times.

When Steve sold the Giulietta to Mrs6C he also gave her a original sales poster that hangs in our living room.

I like Italian sales posters. The full stop is a definite style decision.

I have one too.

Freeing the brakes on the axel was a pain and we could see those! Perhaps a set of axel ramps would be a good idea? Can the car be jacked ( are the sills ok?)?

post-8687-0-98396700-1550942509_thumb.jpeg

I like Italian sales posters. The full stop is a definite style decision.

I have one too.

Freeing the brakes on the axel was a pain and we could see those! Perhaps a set of axel ramps would be a good idea? Can the car be jacked ( are the sills ok?)?

I am sure there is one pair of ramps at the field, I think there is a second pair as well and I think I have a third pair but they might be in the garage.

There will be other play days at the Field of Dreams.

I'll get me diary.

20th of one month to around 4/5th of the next are good weekends.

Was it you that had trouble with an XW7 engine in a Visa? A local scrappy to me has taken in an E reg 205. Want me to take a look see if it's a suitcase or a TU?