Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

My Alfa 156 has been bashed again this time by a carer for next door, my friend who witnessed it said she made no effort to steer the car and just reversed into it across a fast county road. Pushed the door in a bit, but the door works and car still drives ok.

My problem is whether to claim on her insurance or would I be worse off in the long run given my low value car would be written off?

As mentioned in another thread; people are terrible.

My Alfa 156 has been bashed again this time by a carer for next door, my friend who witnessed it said she made no effort to steer the car and just reversed into it across a fast county road. Pushed the door in a bit, but the door works and car still drives ok.

My problem is whether to claim on her insurance or would I be worse off in the long run given my low value car would be written off?

Turns out to be a company car that hit me and the girl had no idea what to do so I rang the company today. I was called back by a helpful person who asked if I would mind settling this without going though insurance. He suggested I got some repair quotes and they would consider just paying for the repairs. I think the repairs will cost more than the car is worth and said as much, suggesting that rather than me and them spending time and effort on this I would settle for a very modest payment in return for not having to get quotes etc. I was asked to email photos and within an hour I had an email to say the cheque is in the post. I still of coarse have a damaged door but the rear door is off colour and the front wheel arch scraped so I will decide what to do after the next MOT in November.

My neighbour told me the girl was quite upset today so I called her to say it was all sorted out.

glad its sorted but to be frank (dont take this the wrong way) id leave it parked there so yer nice stuff isnt damaged.........

Needs must, I think I will stay there although that is my favourite spot for the car I am using and that seems to be the MG ZR at the moment. Maybe people will see a yellow car and miss it!

post-4787-0-86389700-1492717367_thumb.jpg

BX GTI 8v tinkering today, we have drained the old fuel and it runs on easy start but not on petrol. There is petrol at the fuel rail union and the plugs were dry so I guess either the control unit is not telling the injectors to fire or they are gummed up by 8 year old fuel. How can I check?

What type of injection do I have?

post-4787-0-17416800-1493240360_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-93721400-1493240373_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-19977200-1493240414_thumb.jpg

I've previously used something like this to test injector wiring.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Noid-Light-Lighting-Fuel-Injector-Fault-Diagnostic-Tool-Set-6pc-VS213-/301555397772?hash=item46361a348c:g:km0AAOSwv0tU-2YD

You plug it into the injector connector and crank the car and the light flashes away if the electrickery is getting to the right place.

Please note I don't know if that actual set contains one that will work with your BX, probably though as nearly all cars use components from one of about 3 mobs eg Bosch.

Have I missed if its sparking or not? Its been about 10 years since I owned GTi BXs but I seem to recall it won't inject fuel if it doesn't detect spark first.

In my experience of the 8v BX GTi, the problem was nearly always the ignition module (admittedly running on 2 cylinders was the normal problem). Its a 7 pin unit if I remember rightly for the later system. The earlier version was 6 pin.

According to the HBOL Bosch LE3 Jetronic was fitted to BX GTis until July 1990, and Magneti Marelli Motronic MP3.1 thereafter.

Judging from the underbonnet picture earlier in the thread, it looks like Bosch Motronic 1.3 management to me - I assume this is a CAT equipped car and has a lambda? Rare beast in the UK if so, as most were non-CAT.

Non-CAT cars are as in the quote above (although it's Bosch rather than Magneti Marelli) but yours clearly isn't MP3.1 due to the AFM in the picture, plus the inlet manifold is different on the non-CAT XU9J2 engine.

Given that it'll run on easy start, you've presumably got spark and thus the crank sensor, ECU etc are working as spark is controlled by the same ECU as the injection.

Sticky or gummed up injectors are possible, I've seen it before on XU engines that have sat for a prolonged period. A sharp tap with a spanner whilst cranking over will often free them off, otherwise those injectors are comparatively easily sources as they're used on various XU9 engines, some Volvos and a few other cars. I should have a set somewhere if needs be.

One thing that's worth checking is the wiring. I've not seen the loom for a late 8v BX GTi, but the wiring on BX 16v's is a joke, with the injection part of the loom connected to the main engine management loom through an unsealed wiring plug that ends up corroding and giving a bad connection. It's possible that the injector pins on that are grotty, assuming that your loom is built in a similar manner.

If you don't have any luck, I'm happy to cast an eye over it when I'm next up Buckingham way and I've got various spares for that engine/management :)

Have I missed if its sparking or not? Its been about 10 years since I owned GTi BXs but I seem to recall it won't inject fuel if it doesn't detect spark first.

In my experience of the 8v BX GTi, the problem was nearly always the ignition module (admittedly running on 2 cylinders was the normal problem). Its a 7 pin unit if I remember rightly for the later system. The earlier version was 6 pin.

Yes we have sparks and it will run if you spray easy start into it.

Judging from the underbonnet picture earlier in the thread, it looks like Bosch Motronic 1.3 management to me - I assume this is a CAT equipped car and has a lambda? Rare beast in the UK if so, as most were non-CAT.

Non-CAT cars are as in the quote above (although it's Bosch rather than Magneti Marelli) but yours clearly isn't MP3.1 due to the AFM in the picture, plus the inlet manifold is different on the non-CAT XU9J2 engine.

Given that it'll run on easy start, you've presumably got spark and thus the crank sensor, ECU etc are working as spark is controlled by the same ECU as the injection.

Sticky or gummed up injectors are possible, I've seen it before on XU engines that have sat for a prolonged period. A sharp tap with a spanner whilst cranking over will often free them off, otherwise those injectors are comparatively easily sources as they're used on various XU9 engines, some Volvos and a few other cars. I should have a set somewhere if needs be.

One thing that's worth checking is the wiring. I've not seen the loom for a late 8v BX GTi, but the wiring on BX 16v's is a joke, with the injection part of the loom connected to the main engine management loom through an unsealed wiring plug that ends up corroding and giving a bad connection. It's possible that the injector pins on that are grotty, assuming that your loom is built in a similar manner.

If you don't have any luck, I'm happy to cast an eye over it when I'm next up Buckingham way and I've got various spares for that engine/management :)

I would love somebody who knows more than me to have a look over it, but the car is still at my mothers house in Princess Risborough.