Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

Guest VicN

Of the Triumph sixs, early 1600 Vitesses had down draft Solexs, late 1600 Vitesses and all 2 litre Vitesses and GT6s had Strombergs. Triumph 2000 and 2500 had SUs. TR6 2500 Mechanical injection.

My Vitesse 2.0 is fitted with SUs and I would say it makes no difference.  

My memory is shit. Solexes, yep, remember that now, they were crap. All my sixes were in Vitesses. I didn't know the 2000s had SUs (looking on google most seem to have had strombergs).

2500 PI was a lovely thig when it worked.

I can't make this I'm afraid it's evas birthday! Plus I'll be utterly skint after shitefest! Saying that I'm utterly skint now so there won't be much difference, but I won't be allowed out to play!

Maybe Mrs 6C took entrance money off you, but visiting our field and even camping in it is free, bring a packed lunch and all you have to pay for is a couple of litres of diesel.

I do understand you have a family and need to look after them.

I collected my refurbished wheels and nearly new tyres yesterday for the Gamma and with the help of a friend fitted them and bought the car home. Unfortunately the drivers side rear brake was dragging and getting hot so I sent Mrs6C in to take it apart. We learnt from the Gamma Owners that the piston has to be turned by 45º while pushing it back. This had the inner pad working but not the outer because the slide pin was seized. Removal, cleaning, lubricating and refitting sorted it. It types quickly and logically but I took several hours working out how it fits together and what to do next to cure it. 

Anyway I shall go to the ball tomorrow or at least set out for it!

post-4787-0-41190200-1526741343_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-63592100-1526741353_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-17022100-1526741364_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-02646000-1526741376_thumb.jpg

After SiC pointed out this retro look radio I ordered one for the Gamma. 2 1/2 weeks from Hong Kong seems good service to me. It looks good, but I can't fit it yet as the car is locked in a shed with no wheels away from home while the wheels are being refirbished. 

Was looking at ordering one of these for the Maxi.

However, this has the old pre-DIN mounting with the 2 spindle holes and the central rectangular cutout.

The layout of this looks similar, but how does it fit?

Can you remove the knobs and front panel and fit it into the old-style mounting or is it simply a DIN-sized box?

However, this has the old pre-DIN mounting with the 2 spindle holes and the central rectangular cutout.

Can you remove the knobs and front panel and fit it into the old-style mounting or is it simply a DIN-sized box?

If it's like mine but with a different face they come with a remote control so you could fit it out if sight somewhere?

If money is of little object...

http://www.tadpoleradios.co.uk/SonyInterface.aspx

You get your Dremel clone out and cut the plate, any rectangular plastic finishing bezel will need relieving at the rear of the bottom two corners too. Just measure 3 times and cut once. It's tight, but it will fit.

3508952482_4295509013_z.jpg?zz=1

Maxi Heater_Radio Plate by E Honda, on Flickr

I lent out my BMW M3 Evo convertible and in return have the use of a much more Autoshite 2003 Scenic, I have had no enthusiasm to drive it but after two cars failed at the weekend Mrs6C has used it and quite likes it.

So what’s new, the ZX has broken its clutch cable and came home with the AA help. Has any body got a clutch cable for a 1996 ZX TD before I try finding one elsewhere?

The 156 has a hot smelly rear brake and is at a local garage for a brake calliper.

post-4787-0-55474800-1527074710_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-28842100-1527074727_thumb.jpg

You get your Dremel clone out and cut the plate, any rectangular plastic finishing bezel will need relieving at the rear of the bottom two corners too. Just measure 3 times and cut once. It's tight, but it will fit.

3508952482_4295509013_z.jpg?zz=1

Maxi Heater_Radio Plate by E Honda, on Flickr

Thanks for the info.

Good to know that it is possible to fit a DIN unit into the factory panel.

Don't think I'll risk cutting the existing panel in case I make a hash of it and then need to reinstate it, but if I can find another one I might give it a try.

Don't suppose the one in the picture is going spare. If so I would be interested in exchanging it for some pictures of the queen, which would save me attempting to hack one about.

Old picture, car long gone.

The arseache is that there are two strips that run top to bottom either side that hold the plate into the dashboard. these strips have holes in them for the two spindle fitting. The majority of the strip has to be cut out so that there is a thin connecting strip left at the outer edge on each side. I might have take some photos of the reverse of the plate, but I've no idea where they are.

My next breakdown yesterday was not in moving but cutting, the grass was a bit long in places for my 8hp Tractor and it stopped the blade turning wearing the belt down until it would not cut at all. I got a belt that works from the local agricultural dealer, but they advise me it is a standard V belt and it should have a reinforced belt, anybody know about these things?

The two convertibles I have driven today!

post-4787-0-36111900-1527098162_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-45852300-1527098174_thumb.jpg

Now for some self indulgence having spent 3 evenings cutting grass, the camping paddock is looking great so I could not resist taking the Saab for a lap of honour and snap a few photos.

Remember you are welcome to come and share the field with us 16th June, 14th July and other times by request.

post-4787-0-15600200-1527101082_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-51672400-1527101093_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-58631100-1527101101_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-05893700-1527101113_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-62246000-1527101122_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-02366400-1527101131_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-08989600-1527101143_thumb.jpg

I don't know about doughnuts but it will lift its front wheels in the air if you are sharp with the drive take up!

I wonder why the belt was slipping? :-P

If you have an LT sized space on Friday night I would like to take you up on your offer :-) We are on our way down to France (albeit via Norfolk) so would be nice to catch up with people and chat chod...

I wonder why the belt was slipping? :-P

If you have an LT sized space on Friday night I would like to take you up on your offer :-) We are on our way down to France (albeit via Norfolk) so would be nice to catch up with people and chat chod...

It was the cutter belt that slipped and I replaced today. The drive belt is very long and I will replace it because it jumps off from time to time. I can't just order a belt because it is an old machine and they had different engines and transmissions and I can't find any numbers on it.

We have an LT sized space, was that for 15/16 June or 13/14 July?

I lent out my BMW M3 Evo convertible and in return have the use of a much more Autoshite 2003 Scenic.

Another car that I never knew you had! E30, E36 or E46?

Also a Scenic is a very bizarre swap for an M3.

A slight change of flavour this weekend, an engine but no wheels.

It is on the canal around Milton Keynes for the next two weeks so if anybody fancies a day trip up the cut PM me and we will see what we can arrange. Needs to be weekday or even a short evening trip as weekends are busy already. 

post-4787-0-43317300-1527505966_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-33086200-1527506009_thumb.jpg