Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

The second failure is my Peugeot moped, first the rear brake was stuck on but that freed dragging the bike around but now it will not start. It has petrol and wets its plug if you keep kicking it over. We tested for a spark and with the plug out kicking it over causes a spark at the plug. I don’t know what to do next?

post-4787-0-48872400-1525645448_thumb.jpg

The rear brake was also locked on my Honda off road moped and no amount of bumping would free it so we decided to take the wheel off. It did not want to come so I started to compose a post asking you lot for help and it took me so long Slowsilver found a way to unstuck the brake shoes and get it apart. Refitting is a reversal of removal but even then it did not give up without a fight as we had a fractures fuel pipe and the only pipe we could find was too big and needed bodging on. Anyway after all that it started easily and Slowsilver test rode it!

post-4787-0-47145300-1525645500_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-88481500-1525645514_thumb.jpg

Then was the W8 mower, the idea was to cut the grass to the toilet, water and camping paddock before the grass was so long that this 8hp beauty could not cope with it. It started easily first time since Sep and off I went and got right down the field and run over a garden hose throwing the drive belt. The field is still quite wet and soft and I had the Alfa 156 today so not wishing to face pushing the mover back I ventured into the field with the Alfa and managed to tow it back in. Slowsilver to the rescue and soon the belt was back on. I managed to run out of fuel and then it would not restart, pilot error this tine because ethe cutting deck was engaged and it has a safety switch to stop it starting until the cutter is disengaged.

The good new is the camping paddock has had its first cut ready for 14th July and so has the orchard as Mrs6C has a group from Northamptonshire Native Breeds Trust doing a farm visit to us at the end of the month.

post-4787-0-98105300-1525645573_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-00315700-1525645584_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-78962100-1525645592_thumb.jpg

Can't believe how easily the Honda moped started after sitting in the field for months.

It has no petrol tap. Instead there is some sort of diaphragm arrangement on the tank outlet with two pipes on it. One goes to the carburettor and the other to somewhere else on the engine which appears to create a vacuum when the engine is cranked over or running and opens the fuel feed to the carb. When the engine stops the petrol feed is automatically cut off.

Fixed the split petrol pipe, kicked it over just once to check for leaks and it started!

Don't claim to be any sort of motorcycle expert but I have never come across this arrangement before. Simple and cheap but very effective.

Disappointing that we failed to achieve the desired result with the Alfa and the other moped, but at least we had some fun and the grass got cut.

I now consider myself educated by the more knowledgeable motorcycle shiters.

Have spent most of my life tinkering with machinery (mostly cars) but haven't really done anything with motorbikes since I was sixteen.

As the saying goes, you're never to old to learn.

Unfortunately you can get to old to remember what you have learnt.

The assorted chod at the FoD provides an ideal opportunity to learn new stuff and relearn old stuff.

Edit: Just realised that "Chod at the FoD" would make quite a good title for the Field of Dreams open days.

I am looking to see if there is any interest in another Field of Dreams Open day before the Festival of the Unexceptional?

Not least to find a way to roll out some temporary roadway I now have so if it is wet we can get to the camping paddock without getting muddy on FoU 14th July.

So who is free 16/17 June, is Saturday or Sunday best?

post-4787-0-63267600-1526056463_thumb.jpg

I'd be game for meeting up, only missed last one as it clashed with a show that lasted later than I expected. Might even have a working Lada for the next one...though dunno if that or the Activa are the most interesting.

...if I can convince my other half to drive the Activa (he's afraid of the Lada) could even bring both I guess.

Saturday 16th June is GO for Field of Dreams open day.

I need some help getting ready for 14th July Festival of the Unexceptional camping.

I would like to trim the entrance hedges back to give us some more room, cut the grass with the ride on and have a tidy up to free as much hard standing as possible.

I would also like to test lay some temporary road way in case we need it 14th July, which will involve the JCB.

I have set the main day as Saturday but I can do Sunday as well if anybody wants to camp over.

DVLA admits system broken

I have tried to SORN the yellow Visa I got two weeks ago and every time I tried it said it was on SORN and would not let me do it again. Today I got a V212 letter to say I would get fined and nuns and kittens would be hurt if I did not SORN my new car immediately.

I emailed and this is the reply:

Thank you for your enquiry received on 17/5/2018.

Upon checking the vehicle record I can confirm there is an error with the Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) updating correctly.

I have referred this to our licensing team who will update the SORN for you.

You should receive confirmation of this within 2-4 weeks.

I hope this information is of assistance to you and answers your entire enquiry.

Guest VicN

I have been to collect my spare Triumph engine today, I agreed to buy it 3 years ago, paid a year ago and finally was forced into collecting it as my favourite garage has closed down.

1600?

In Shock news Six Cylinder does his own spannering. Yes tonight I have taken the inlet manifold off my E-Type so I can get at the core plug that is leaking. 3 hours including taking it outside to drain the water, but now I have a sore scratched arm for putting it places the car did not want it!

post-4787-0-03944700-1526594422_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-54782800-1526594434_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-03398700-1526594442_thumb.jpg

I need some help getting ready for 14th July Festival of the Unexceptional camping.

I would like to trim the entrance hedges back to give us some more room, cut the grass with the ride on and have a tidy up to free as much hard standing as possible.

I would also like to test lay some temporary road way in case we need it 14th July, which will involve the JCB.

I have set the main day as Saturday but I can do Sunday as well if anybody wants to camp over.

Up for this, as always.

I fancy having a go at some mowage.

Have only piloted the ride-on on the end of a tow rope before I fixed it for you last time.

Would be good to use it in anger.

Plus anything else that takes my fancy on the day.

Hope you get some more support this time.

Can do Sunday as well if anyone else is planning to be there.

I’d like to come up and help prepare. When do you have in mind?

In Shock news Six Cylinder does his own spannering. Yes tonight I have taken the inlet manifold off my E-Type so I can get at the core plug that is leaking. 3 hours including taking it outside to drain the water, but now I have a sore scratched ar** for putting it places the car did not want it!

FTFY!!! :-)

Guest VicN

2500, it was in a saloon last, but has side bolt for non saloon fitting as well.It is so long since to bought it I can't remember what was done to it, I just remember liking what was listed and it was from the guys I trust.

My memory says that all triumph sixes had Stromberg carbs. Were the 2.5s different?

My memory says that all triumph sixes had Stromberg carbs. Were the 2.5s different?

Of the Triumph sixs, early 1600 Vitesses had down draft Solexs, late 1600 Vitesses and all 2 litre Vitesses and GT6s had Strombergs. Triumph 2000 and 2500 had SUs. TR6 2500 Mechanical injection.

My Vitesse 2.0 is fitted with SUs and I would say it makes no difference.