Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Do we have any 1970s VW lickers who can tell me about their wipers

Having managed to find a wiper spindle I thought I was sorted, but it turns out wiper arms are not that easy to get now and one of mine is knackered.

Looking at pictures of Bay campers and possibly 1970s Beatles they may have similar wipers, does anybody have one to check for me?

The spindle is tapered and has a nut on it. The wipers are set up like a LHD car so looking at the windscreen the end of the arm kinks left.

From the centre of the hole to the end of the metal arm not counting the plastic is approx 320mm

Does anybody know wear to buy bolt on wiper arms?

one might check defender items

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DKB000051PMD-Land-Rover-Defender-Front-Wiper-Arms-bolt-on-type-LHD-2001/291403613978?hash=item43d902471a:g:vRkAAOSwPhdU~~DD

Yes, but we're not always in the same part of the house!

I used to regularly be part of a group msn chat that included a married couple like that, somehow they still managed to have a kid though.

Do you two not talk?

My study is on the ground floor in the new part of the house and Mrs6C’s study is a 1st floor bedroom in the old part of the house we cannot hear each other and there is a fair way between the two including a staircase.

The only other way is my subwoofer, sometimes she complains that my US country music or Youtube drag racing is going right though the house, maybe we could build a code!

LNA wiper update – I have done a temporary fix, the pivot shaft in the arm runs in a thin tube that is pressed into the monkey metal casting and the ends of the tube are broken away allowing the long part of the wiper arm to wobble. I have put a nut and bolt though it with largish washers which seems to have limited the movement.

I think it should MOT like this and I have found a second-hand one that I will be getting at the Visa’s 40th Birthday in two weeks.

post-4787-0-40531500-1535440644_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-98499100-1535440672_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-60748600-1535440771_thumb.jpg

The component in question (the monkey metal bit) is common to hundreds of different cars. Lots of moderns now have interesting and bizzare shapes to this bit, but a staggering number of 70s, 80s and 90s cars use exactly the same component. I've swapped a few in the past when they've worn like this.

Tuesday while preparing No.2 Visa 17RD for MOT the driver's wind glass dropped down. It turns out the channel that supports the glass and the window winder runs in had rotted away. 

I asked the headmaster from the Independent Visa Forum if he knew of any and he said you have got one!!! Sure enough the yellow spares car I have had one is great condition.

I have had it fitted today and I am hoping it will MOT early next week.

post-4787-0-44005800-1535656131_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-87028900-1535656151_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-00156700-1535656171_thumb.jpg

4 out of 5 ain't bad, so far!

I collected the C15 yesterday with a fresh MOT, the brakes still feel a bit dead and I might take it back for another go. Anyway for now it stops the MOT rollers going round in the prescribed way.

For this weekends Visa Rally I now have two Visas, LNA and C15 ready, just a second 17RD to go!

This evening I am taking our Metro to a MG meeting in Pinner (100 mile round trip) to join the shiny MGA, TF etc!

How the drive looks today.

post-4787-0-66178100-1536075956_thumb.jpg