Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

Mrs6C would enjoy rushing to the station in an Ami with the rush hour traffic,  starting with a right turn onto a busy A road! 

It's hair-raising enough with the ZX... the main road at the top of our lane is really busy now, even in the school holidays. It's often only the well-timed HGVs on it, collecting the cars in a neat row behind, that give us the opportunity to pull out and turn right in a clear space of low-ish speed traffic... while keeping an eye out for the idiot who chances to overtake everyone at that point... :-(

The Alfa 156 and Volvo T5 are much better at a fast getaway, but only in the dry...

Cars All Day

The E30 has had a misfire for a while and has had a new distributor cap and plugs but it persisted. The Auto sparks tested the HT leads today and says two are open circuit so his meter reads nothing but the sparks are managing to jump the gap sometimes! New leads ordered.

The central locking had stopped working on the E30, the auto sparks says there is nothing wrong with his electricity and the problem is around the drivers door lock so the door panel will have to come off sometime.

At least the ZX has working central locking again, it turned out to be the control module in the drivers door.

I took the Visa 652cc for MOT today, I needed to jump it off the drive, it has been parked up all winter, but after 10 miles I had to stop for fuel. It still had a flat battery at the pump, fortunately a very nice lorry driver gave me a push, he said he had pushed along bigger Dinky toys!

It is now having a new battery, service and rear exhaust box before it gets its MOT.

post-4787-0-72929300-1534370801_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-30560800-1534370987_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-65346100-1534371066_thumb.jpg

It is Outrageous!

Let me tell you a story, back in 1982 I saw an advert for a project 1966 E-Type for sale in the Thames Valley Trader, I went to see it and bought it. Tonight’s story is about the seller Geoff who had just started running a garage and said if you want some work done on it, come and see me! Within a few weeks I booked a fortnight’s holiday and went into his workshop and he moved my car from his house to his workshop. That was the start of a friendship that has endured all these years.

Geoff has always had an E Type of his own, a 1964 3.8 FHC it has been several colours and has had various custom mods over the years. He has been criticized a number of times for vandalizing a beautiful E-Type, but when Noah was building his Ark, Geoff was modifying his E-Type! He bought it in 1973 and by then it was nine years old and only fit for scrap! To my mind he is entitled to have it looking how he likes it as without him it would no longer exist.

What a pleasant surprise tonight when he turned up in it unexpectedly.

post-4787-0-21446000-1534535790_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-60579700-1534535805_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-61461200-1534535827_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-38724700-1534535905_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-16750400-1534535925_thumb.jpg

Mick Jagguar, as he's been known for decades, is indeed a 1970s Kustom Kar, crafted in the days when 9 year-old E-types were unloved, cheap, rusted-out and generally fit only for the scrapyard. Geoff was in the RAF at the time of Mick J's acquisition and ran him as a daily driver for years. Geoff did all the modification work himself, in steel and it still stands up to inspection now. Would anyone do this to an E-type these days? Probably not, unless they are on a US car-themed TV programme, but back then, it saved Mick J's 'life' and he's now a piece of social as well as motoring history.

Personally I love the more recent headlight job. It fits the shape so well and is a real 'modern meets classic' bit of styling - with extra chrome! The car runs as sweet as anything and sounds superb, too. Not loud or raucous, just purposeful and tenacious. A bit like Mick J himself, really :-)

I'm not a fan of that front to be honest. Side and rear profile looks good though. Especially those fat tyres. Many have such spindly thin tyres.

Can't you get brand new bonnets nowadays anyway? Not exactly a disaster or impossible to change the style of it to something else again.

The chap has owned the car for forty five years. He's earned the right to have *his* car as *he* likes it.

I'd expect that he'll not give a flying fuck that some guy on the Internet who owns a fucking Invacar feels the need to describe his car as a mess!

One man's hobby is another man's mental illness.

I hate both invacar and e type whether modified or not but i would defend a man's right to fuck around with the lights on either if thats what he or she wants to do.

I like that I do. Especially as it's been done in period rather than hacking about an otherwise mint car.

It's clear that he's had a clear vision in mind, and it's not just been a case of loading the 70s equivalent of the boy racer aisle in Halfords into a Blunderbuss and firing it at the car as some efforts from the time I've seen seem to be.

First glance and it was ugly.

2nd glance HHHMMMMMMM.............

Proper look, the front is very good, long, wide and low Quite happy the 7" Lucas bits are gone.

At the rear I like it, still very Jaguar. The only dislike is the front wheel arch which looks too big, but that may just be the fault of the photographer !

VULGALOUR STAMP OF APPROVAL

Yeah. It looks nothing like anything on the road, so Tata ain't gonna give one.

I particularly like the bonnet and lights cause it's removable.

I'm hatching a plan to fit a astra gte 16v bonnet vent on to an mx5. I've been hatching that plan for 9 years. Nothing had happened so far. So respect to anyone that finds the time.

I sort of like it. I can see it as a modern reinvention of the E-type. If it had never gone out of production, but continually refreshed until the present day I could well imagine the headlamps being a similar arrangement.

I'd have chosen different wheels though. Not a fan of slotmags on the E-type, but it's not my car to mess with.

Has anybody got a lace on 13 inch steering wheel cover they can sell me?

The Steering wheel surface on my LNA is falling apart and I thought I had a replacement from the green Visa, but that did not have the new fangled bit to operate the self cancelling indicators.

It is not very pleasant holding the steering wheel so I thought for a quick fix I would fit a lace on or sew on cover.

I have order 3 from ebay and each is under sized in spite of what the seller has stated. So far one returned, one no response and the third says he can only give me a refund if I give him positive feedback!

post-4787-0-38018100-1534711993_thumb.jpg

Now there's a car to divide opinion (the E-type, not the LNA as I'm sure we all agree that's great). I guess it upsets the toffee-nosed Jag club bores, which is no bad thing, and there are still plenty of standard E-types so he's hardly butchered something unique. The Pug lights fit surprisingly well and dare I say it look better on that than on the 206. This may sound a bit strange but the front actually reminds me a bit of a DS.