Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

The Ex Hairnet Visa sits in the field and I have been looking for an 1124cc engine for it. I asked the guys on the 104/Samba.LNA FB group if maybe a 13600cc will go in, but there is a lot of mucking around converting it to 5 speed or changing the timing cover to a 4 speed one which are rare so that idea hit the buffers.

I have been offered a 954cc engine at a cheap price and the opinion is that it will fit.

These at are the sellers words:

The engine is complete except for the starter motor. It was running a few years back but I haven't had it running recently. Oil and water were fine with no contamination when I drained the water and checked the oil on the dipstick.

The 10E Visa is not my favourite because it lacks pulling power and character, but it would get the car back on the road.

The question bearing in mind I will be asking for volunteers to fit it, is it worth the all the effort to fit the 954cc engine that has not been run for several years or should I hold out for a rare and difficult to find 1124cc one, at the risk of the car never making it back on the road? 

post-4787-0-32403900-1533638884_thumb.jpg

maybe a 13600cc will go in,

Oh the amusing typo. I'm not sure a thirteen-and-a-half litre engine would fit in the entire car, never mind under the bonnet.

Are 1124cc engines that hard to come by these days? IIRC they were used in a whole raft of cars, 205's included. An upgrade to 1360cc would make it a quick little car.

Did these ever have a TU series engine fitted? Given that you could get XY and then TU engines in a lot of other bodyshells, an upgrade to TU would be very interesting*, and allow fitment of a Saxo/106 1.6 litre engine!

I’m gonna say don’t fit the 950, I think you should hold out for an 1124. there must be a samba or early 205 power unit sitting about somewhere with your name on it. If you get the 950, you just know when you get it up and running an 1124 will appear on a FB group on eBay for like £40 or something.

Is the front end structure all completely different to the C15 van?

Oh the amusing typo. I'm not sure a thirteen-and-a-half litre engine would fit in the entire car, never mind under the bonnet.

Are 1124cc engines that hard to come by these days? IIRC they were used in a whole raft of cars, 205's included. An upgrade to 1360cc would make it a quick little car.

Did these ever have a TU series engine fitted? Given that you could get XY and then TU engines in a lot of other bodyshells, an upgrade to TU would be very interesting*, and allow fitment of a Saxo/106 1.6 litre engine!

13600cc just what I said it would not fit!

1124cc suitcase engines seemed to have dried up in the UK and I don't want the cost of getting one from France. I have a project Visa GT with 1360cc and twin carbs, that is the one I want to spend my time and money on. The Super E is just a cheap fix to save it.

Never TU in a Visa. For the XU 1.6i and diesel they altered the body to fit a wider track moving the front strut towers out an inch or so.

The central locking on our ZX has stopped working so while it was in at my favourite garage today having a suspension rattle removed (anti roll bar link) I asked them to take a look at it. They say all the other door motors work so it is the driver's door at fault There are two items in the door, a central locking control unit and a micro switch on the latch mechanism, which is most likely to have packed up?

post-4787-0-39563400-1533841612_thumb.jpg

The Ex Hairnet Visa sits in the field and I have been looking for an 1124cc engine for it. I asked the guys on the 104/Samba.LNA FB group if maybe a 13600cc will go in, but there is a lot of mucking around converting it to 5 speed or changing the timing cover to a 4 speed one which are rare so that idea hit the buffers.

I have been offered a 954cc engine at a cheap price and the opinion is that it will fit.

These at are the sellers words:

The engine is complete except for the starter motor. It was running a few years back but I haven't had it running recently. Oil and water were fine with no contamination when I drained the water and checked the oil on the dipstick.

The 10E Visa is not my favourite because it lacks pulling power and character, but it would get the car back on the road.

The question bearing in mind I will be asking for volunteers to fit it, is it worth the all the effort to fit the 954cc engine that has not been run for several years or should I hold out for a rare and difficult to find 1124cc one, at the risk of the car never making it back on the road? 

Better to rebuild the engine it already has, as there isn't anything wrong with it that a set of new liner seals and a fresh head gasket wouldn't put right... a full engine rebuild gasket kit appears to be available:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Engine-Rebuild-Gasket-Set-CITROEN-VISA-11-1-1-57-109-5-9-1978-11-1985-/232592574411?hash=item36279907cb

It would be a nice winter project to do in the warm garage at home.

Better to rebuild the engine it already has, as there isn't anything wrong with it that a set of new liner seals and a fresh head gasket wouldn't put right... a full engine rebuild gasket kit appears to be available:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Engine-Rebuild-Gasket-Set-CITROEN-VISA-11-1-1-57-109-5-9-1978-11-1985-/232592574411?hash=item36279907cb

It would be a nice winter project to do in the warm garage at home.

I think it would be better to pass the car on to someone who can focus on it, we have far too many project and the Visa GT is the one I want to work on. 

ZX central locking - my Avantage always centrally unlocks but sometimes doesn't centrally lock - it could be the microswitch as locking the rear driver's side door first reactivates it, sometimes just opening and closing the driver's door does it.

ZX central locking - my Avantage always centrally unlocks but sometimes doesn't centrally lock - it could be the microswitch as locking the rear driver's side door first reactivates it, sometimes just opening and closing the driver's door does it.

Ours became slow and 15 secs after you unlocked the drivers door the others go, but now it is dead.

With the suitcase 1100's, I'm pretty sure the 1.1 also came with a 5-speeder in certain variants of 205 (1.1XR 1.1GR), so you would need a 104, Visa, Samba or LNA unit.

I always found these engines quite easy to work on despite the lack of room in the engine bay checking valve clearances - I think some spares are getting a bit thin on the ground now but not totally unobtanium. I'd price up rebuilding it if searching for a replacement proves fruitless.

I always wanted to know if you could convert a 1360 to 1587cc using TU5 liners & pistons. Probably not is the answer

Give us a PM if you need a help spannering, Bucks isn't mega-miles

Never worked on nor dismantled a TU5. Been a few years since I worked on any PSA engine. Mainly rattly Simca units, suitcases and the occasional carbed TU.

I saw an early 205 while delivering some work type stuff to Bosham near Chichester this morning. Looked as rough as dog's arse but it had 'that' whine and ran nicely. Probably not long for this world bodywise so I can always keep an eye out in the local scrappers see if it ends up in one.

ZX Floundering somewhat as I have to book my Auto sparks 3 weeks in advance. My local garage have now photographed the driver's door solenoid and the thinking is before they put it all back together we would change this is I can find one. 

Anybody have a drivers central locking solenoid they can sell me for a 1996 ZX Avantage?

post-4787-0-78906500-1533916671_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-46033700-1533916692_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-39909200-1533916711_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-22154800-1533916729_thumb.jpg

That one has a different electrical plug on it with two spades , there are five spades on the one I have.

I have now found one with five spades and while the operating arm has 3 instead of a holes and I ordered one to give it a try. There is also a control unit under the dash, but the guys from the Citroen Car Club think it is just as likely to be a broken wire so If this does not work we will put it back together and book the Auto sparks.