Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

I had a E320 Cab for 6 years and the engine moves it along very nicely with authority, but you have to tell it to. 

The Alfa is just something else only a 2.5 24v so gorgeous to rev out, it just wants to zing. Yet it is docile and pulls adequately at low revs.

Try it for yourself next time you visit.

Just this evening I used the black one with Mrs6C as passenger and she remarks if you drive it like that you had better get the cam belt changed!

Nice Alfas.

We had a 156 that came through the garage when I was there. It was one of the twin spark four pots, and was one of the nicest sounding four pot engines I ever came across, was a lovely car to drive too. Never been in a V6 156. The older V6 from the 75 was a truly musical thing, don't doubt the later one is similarly nice one the ears...

Having waited an hour and 12mins of my 60-90 mins predicated recovery time I have just had a call from CMG recovery to say they have just been given the job by the RAC and they will be 60-90 mins!

When you call them do they just ask "which car is it this time?"

Alfa FTP! they are known for the spring cup at the back rotting out. A least on these rather than on merc w210s etc it’s a bolt on part rather than part of the body shell! Can’t see from the pic but is it sitting low on one side? Has the spring mangled a tyre?

My understanding is the v6 is the least flakey Alfa engine tbh (maybe that’s not saying much) but they’re supposed to have an unbreakable bottom end and both power units in mine (156/166) were in fine fettle despite less than thorough servicing through their lives.

As the happy owner of a 24valve straight six I’m interested in how the v6s behave. Mine is quick enough if needed but very docile and happy to cruise along under the speed limit, but if stabbed will hit 100 in third- over 5000rpm it’s hang on to the steering wheel time.

This is what I enjoyed most about the ex-Wobbler (12valve) 300E - when it ran properly!  And yet, when convoying across Wales keeping up/down with FPB7 in the (also ex-Wobbler) AS-bike BX estate, it would do 32mpg.

Late to the party so not much use now but if the spring cup has only partially failed, it is sometime possible to get home with the space saver as that clears the spring cup.

I must confess when I bought a spares or repairs Alfa 147 with just this issue, I chickened out of a 200 mike drive on it and shipped a new shock to a garage near the car and swapped it before coming home.