Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

Six Cylinder removed the alternator in the end. The silvers had spent a good 20 minutes wiggling it trying to get it to move, Chris came up and just lifted it out!

Unfair. It was only nineteen minutes.

And that included removal of the complete offside engine mounting to extract the bottom fixing bolt.

We loosened it for him so he could take the credit for its removal!

Another enjoyable day of tinkerage despite the intermittent wetness.

If anyone needs a professional* stuck brake drum removal person I now have my diploma in large hammer manipulation and brute force techniques.

Itll be ready for the road next year

When the weather improves I must take a proper look at it and see what needs to be done. The lacework doors aren't a problem, as I have a shed full (literally). The rest of it is probably no worse than other Heralds I have returned to the road...

Thank you for moving all of the wood & pallets to let the Herald get out and about! :-)

I have been in Wales this weekend at the In-Laws and they have a ford to cross to get a car to their house. I have photographed cars in the ford when it is 'flat calm' and last year I showed off my Volvo XC70 in there, splashing around. Today the river was running so fast and deep that I did not dare take my 2 1/2 ton Range Rover into it, for fear of being washed downstream!

420G...

post-4787-0-76181500-1522706569_thumb.jpg

Volvo XC70...

post-4787-0-99322000-1522706683_thumb.jpg

Range Rover (NOT!)...

post-4787-0-12472800-1522706712_thumb.jpg

Having lost some friends who were washed off the road - and others' experiences I know a few things about water across the road.

1. If the water is ponded up and you get stuck you just look a bit stupid

2. If the water is flowing across the road be very cautious, it doesn't take much to float you away

3. If you do get stuck in water you can have the electrics fail and lock the doors and windows, not good in rising water. If in doubt drop a window so you can crawl out

4. Don't be brave, turn around and find another route, it's not worth losing a car, or life

5. Buy a BX (other proper citroens will do), set the suspension on high and enjoy everyone watch the performance

Having lost some friends who were washed off the road - and others' experiences I know a few things about water across the road.

1. If the water is ponded up and you get stuck you just look a bit stupid

2. If the water is flowing across the road be very cautious, it doesn't take much to float you away

3. If you do get stuck in water you can have the electrics fail and lock the doors and windows, not good in rising water. If in doubt drop a window so you can crawl out

4. Don't be brave, turn around and find another route, it's not worth losing a car, or life

5. Buy a BX (other proper citroens will do), set the suspension on high and enjoy everyone watch the performance

Fortunately I do have a fair amount of experience of Off Road driving and fording rivers with the Bucks and Oxon Response Group.

https://borg4x4.tidyblog.co.uk/

I have a BX! 

post-4787-0-56424000-1522771075_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-27044700-1522771107_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-60230600-1522771153_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-55125100-1522771165_thumb.jpg

Fortunately I do have a fair amount of experience of Off Road driving and fording rivers with the Bucks and Oxon Response Group.

https://borg4x4.tidyblog.co.uk/

I have a BX!

Getting a P38 wet requires a certain amount of bravery!!

Enjoyed the FOD pics. If the planets align and Im your side of the water I might get to one!

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Getting a P38 wet requires a certain amount of bravery!!

Enjoyed the FOD pics. If the planets align and Im your side of the water I might get to one!

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

The L322 I have had for the last 8 years has been far worse electrically than the P38 I had before it. I have never taken the L322 wading. The list of faults with both of these would fill a page, but the two Range Rovers before were both classics and were just fine.

FOD 14/15 July sounds like it will be a good one and I will set another couple of dates. If you know when you are this side of the water PM me and I will see if it fits in with my diary and give a call to arms!

The L322 I have had for the last 8 years has been far worse electrically than the P38 I had before it. I have never taken the L322 wading. The list of faults with both of these would fill a page, but the two Range Rovers before were both classics and were just fine.

FOD 14/15 July sounds like it will be a good one and I will set another couple of dates. If you know when you are this side of the water PM me and I will see if it fits in with my diary and give a call to arms!

And when ( or if) you get an L405 it'll be even worse, I think these could be the car that finally stops serial RR buyers just accepting the unreliability, not least because there are now some alternatives.

One client has vowed never to buy another JLR product after having more than 20 Range Rovers, he's now got a Bentayga and whatever you think of the challenging looks- doesn't breakdown. With Roll Royce, Lamborghini and even Ferrari coming into the market , Solihuls complacency just looks crazy .

And at the other end of the market I recently bought an ML and one of my brothers a Touraeg even though in both cases we wanted and had the budget for a nice* L322 and as a family brought up with Land Rovers- that hurts.

I'm sure both will cope with the extreme off-roading they're likely to see, just a couple of weeks ago part of Waitrose's car park wasn't cleared.

My Diary is already starting to fill up for the summer so I though I would strike out some weekends for Field of Dreams open days

How about 28/29 April or 5/6/7 May?

Then my next free weekend is 16/17 June so how about another one then.

Already booked is the 14/15 July for the Festival of the unexceptional. 

I have this 1988 Range Rover 3.5 EFi to dispose of.

It was taken off the road by a friend because the body needed loads of welding. I have had it 5 years taken the engine and gearbox from it for my other Range Rover Classic and another friend has taken a fair number of smaller parts.

Do you need anything from it?

Does anybody want it whole?

Do you just want some fun stripping it?

Low insulting offers are fine as you will have to come and take any bits off yourself.

I need to make space as my dead CX is coming to take its place for repair.

post-4787-0-95082700-1522959959_thumb.jpg