Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

After SiC pointed out this retro look radio I ordered one for the Gamma. 2 1/2 weeks from Hong Kong seems good service to me. It looks good, but I can't fit it yet as the car is locked in a shed with no wheels away from home while the wheels are being refirbished.

How are you getting on with this? Its just popped back up on the eBay app on my phone to tell me its been reduced to £12.52. For that price I decided to order one. If they're alright I'm tempted to order another as a spare/other cars too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Vintage-Car-Radio-MP3-Player-Stereo-USB-AUX-Classic-Car-Stereo-J3E5/282905290101

post-20071-0-35333900-1527706968_thumb.jpg

How are you getting on with this? Its just popped back up on the eBay app on my phone to tell me its been reduced to £12.52. For that price I decided to order one. If they're alright I'm tempted to order another as a spare/other cars too.

The radio is sat here on my desk, the car on the drive and you haven't come and fitted it yet!

Back to the CX today (yesterday) with the Auto electrician and changed the ECU. After sorting a broken earth on the fuel side we had signals to the injectors and petrol, but only one cylinder firing. The Auto sparks thinks 3 of the injectors have gummed up as it has been several years now since it run. Next job is to check the fuel pressure before we take the injectors out and have them tested and cleaned.

We even managed to get the CX running nearly, to lift the suspension, great news as it will have to move from where it is soon.

I have just returned from 100 miles in the MG Metro and can report it is running very well. First time I have driven a Metro in the dark for several years and the lights seem quite good. One small hiccup was the instruments lights went out for a while after running over rough road in Pinner! 

post-4787-0-22107700-1528244447_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-08021000-1528244482_thumb.jpg

I have just returned from 100 miles in the MG Metro and can report it is running very well. First time I have driven a Metro in the dark for several years and the lights seem quite good. One small victory was the instruments lights came back on for a while after running over rough road near home! 

FTFY... :-)

Well that did not go to plan, I thought I would do a trial fit and see what wiring I would need, but I can't get the blanking panel out.

If the saloon dash is like the coupe dash, there is a large washer and screw at each end of the hood piece (over the instruments) and if you undo these screws this cover lifts off. It is surprisingly heavy, plastic covered steel I think. Might help with radio install.

If the saloon dash is like the coupe dash, there is a large washer and screw at each end of the hood piece (over the instruments) and if you undo these screws this cover lifts off. It is surprisingly heavy, plastic covered steel I think. Might help with radio install.

Thanks yes I have these screws, but the drivers door is too close to a another vehicle to be able to open it fully so I have to wait until we do a shuffle. 

post-4787-0-49558700-1528279044_thumb.jpg

I have some good news to share with you for a change!

If you remember Mrs6C's Cadillac did not make the South Coast Shiters meeting back in April  because it would not start. Since then we have fiddled with it a few times including trying to start it in N instead of P and changing the battery. All to no effect.

Finally I had a go at persuading my local semi retired Auto sparks who does not do modem stuff that that with a brain his size and the fact with have the factory manual and wiring diagram that he could help us! After a bit of talking him round he gave in and agreed to come to see me next Wednesday AM. I described the symptoms and he said transmission inhibitor switch, I explained I had tried N as well as P. He said I should vigorously move the gear selector with the key in the start position. BINGO it burst into life and now starts every time.

We still have the boot lock to deal with that will not lock down, it has an electric closer.

post-4787-0-95769200-1528374777_thumb.jpg

Funnily enough our 1958 FE35 diesel tractor has an inhibitor switch to stop it being started in gear and this often sticksafter a winter lay-up. Vigorous stick-wiggling (ooh-err-missus!) does the trick though. Wonder if the boot close is the same? Will check over the weekend...

ZX is back on the road after a local mobile mechanic fitted a new clutch cable on Friday. Annoyingly it was so out of adjustment the clutch dragged and I had to adjust it because he couldn't come back till Monday.

OK not on the road but in a grass field, but it had to drive on the road to get there!

post-4787-0-24010700-1528580779_thumb.jpg

Funnily enough our 1958 FE35 diesel tractor has an inhibitor switch to stop it being started in gear and this often sticksafter a winter lay-up. Vigorous stick-wiggling (ooh-err-missus!) does the trick though. Wonder if the boot close is the same? Will check over the weekend...

Yep! :-)

The boot closure motor now works fine. Suspect that the same 'neutral safety switch' inhibits its operation as well as the starter, to stop it being opened when in gear...

To celebrate, I gave the car a wash and took it to the Citroen DS rally... :-)

post-22262-0-40205400-1528581520_thumb.jpg

The Saab got an unusual outing this morning, a few days ago a call went out for a large convertible for the Town Mayor of Brackley to ride in for the Brackley parade. I figured that what they wanted was a wonderful vintage tourer but offered the Saab just in case. I don't need to say more........ 

post-4787-0-85007400-1528734520_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-83739500-1528734531_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-53094500-1528734540_thumb.jpg

The Saab got an unusual outing this morning, a few days ago a call went out for a large convertible for the Town Mayor of Brackley to ride in for the Brackley parade. I figured that what they wanted was a wonderful vintage tourer but offered the Saab just in case. I don't need to say more........ 

As long as it's a product of a defunct car maker, I don't think anyone would object!

16th June Field of Dreams open day

You are invited to just drink tea with us, fix your own car or work on our stuff.

I would like to do some prep for the Festival of the Unexceptional weekend.

These are some ideas I have for this weekend.

Cut the grass with ride on

Turn on water

Spitfire brakes

Clean scrap Range Rover to Photo and sell

Fire up JCB

Test lay tempory section road I have

Resite yellow Visa shell

Tidy yard for max space

Take head off spare Visa engine

Trim Hedge around entrance

Strim around entrance

Wedge gate post more upright

Service chain saw

Fix Peugeot 50cc field bike

Pull failed bearing out of Hayter Condor ride on cylinder mower

I am happy to extend from one day to include Sunday 17th if there is any interest.

For those wishing to camp at the weekend please make yourself know, arrive when you like, stay as long as you like, we just need to arrange entry to suit you.

PM me for the address if you have not visited before.

post-4787-0-20506800-1528735352_thumb.jpg

How's that going to look on the insurance claim form?

"Turning into my drive I collided with a tree I didn't have...."

Unfortunately the way the insurance industry works these days if I claimed I think I would end up worse off. I think I would suffer increased premiums for several years not only on the policy I claim on but my other policy as well, for being involved in a accident.

And just what the hell was wrong with the 2cv?!

Any body coming from the North East should note the A508 - A5 - A422 roundabout is closed this weekend for road works.

I will try and come up Saturday, but I now need to go to the bank in the morning so possibly won’t be there until midday. What’s the weather forecast like?