Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

As I've been working my way through the semi-modern Jaguar range, I reckon I'm going to have to try an S-Type one day. In black this looks pretty good. I have warmed slightly to the look of them over the years. The 30+ mpg fuel economy sounds quite encouraging after the stuff I've been driving around recently. XK8 manages 17 in mixed driving, which isn't totally brilliant. The sound at WOT however, is...

Well petrol is cheaper at the moment - I saw 121.9 on Monday.

I filled the tank this morning and zeroed the trip. A short run locally this morning 23.6 mpg.

Now the big one I have been sold a Pup! The cassette player does not work, I got out my Inspector Morse tapes as it only seems right and they won't slide in.

All I can say is I put the slag in the Jag and gave her a fag! oh no that is Sweeney.......

Edit - Buckingham Tesco £123.9 this morning

post-4787-0-93064300-1544100884_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-52216800-1544100895_thumb.jpg

I filled the tank this morning and zeroed the trip. A short run locally this morning 23.6 mpg.

Now the big one I have been sold a Pup! The cassette player does not work, I got out my Inspector Morse tapes as it only seems right and they won't slide in.

that's because its the wrong cassette- an s-type needs Midsomer Murder tapes, any f00! kno that!

Having boasted to rml2345 that both my new cars were in fine working order I immediately broke the S Type Jaguar before he got to me.

I went to fit Osram night breaker bulbs because the headlights were so poor and found the headlights both flopped around on there leveling adjusters. A fix on you tube was to add a screw to act as a manual adjuster which I have now done, but while main beam is lots better dip is little different. I had noticed with the lights off the headlights showed some cloudyness but with the lights on they are terrible so I will have a go at polishing them over the next few days.

post-4787-0-08112700-1544382421_thumb.jpg

If you go back a long way in my Notes you will find that I had to araldite one of the core plugs on my E Type to get it home 6 miles, the car has sat out of use ever since and now the summer is over I decided to tackle it. I asked a mobile Mech I use for Citroens to tackle it as it was going to involve getting under the car to get the starter motor off to change the entire right hand side set of core plugs. Unfortunately he managed to push one of the small ones though into the water jacket and was unable to retrieve it.

I bought a small magnetic pick up tool and some very small super strong rare earth Neodymium magnets which I thought I could drill a hole in, screw it to a junior hacksaw blade to slide into the water jacket and grab the core plug.

The new pick up tool broke trying to get it into the water jacket so I had a go making a pick up tool using a rare earth magnet. I tapped a centre punch on one of the magnets and it exploded in a flash! I have never seen anything like it.

I had some other magnets on order with a hole so I was ready to wait for them to arrive.

Mrs6C got interested at this point and decided to have a go at retrieving the lost core plug and has succeeded!  

post-4787-0-13539300-1544385605_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-46197300-1544385617_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-46522100-1544385673_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-26796400-1544385690_thumb.jpg

God that interior of the S type takes me back - press day Brum Motor Show 1998, me and a colleague sitting in it thinking it was awful. Whilst I quite like the S type now I still think the early interiors are horrible. Rover got it so right with the 75 and Jaguar got it so wrong.

I think the Rev BJ once said it looked like what a Hyundai designer of the period would do if instructed to design ‘an old British car dashboard’ over a weekend, and that about sums it up.

Facelift cars have much better dashboards, both in style and quality.

Anyway, sorry to moan all over your latest car purchase Chris, enjoy it!

Some progress on the E Type today, core plugs fitted, carb jet diaphragms fitted and inlet manifold refitted and of coarse the backward step one of the heater hoses is falling apart and as it has different sizes on each end I have had to order a replacement. 

Oh well next week now before any more will get done........

Edit - in case you wondered why we have only done 2 out of 3 carbs today it is because I had already done the other one. It was pissing fuel out, fortunately it was the only one you can get to with the carbs in place.

post-4787-0-05570200-1544658294_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-49187300-1544658309_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-75308300-1544658324_thumb.jpg