austin metro vanden plas auto.

bub2006

After replacing forward clutch in this car i still have limited forward drive and I'm losing heart in it. I don't know these engines,could be an easy fix as reverse is fine. Mot till January 2016. Just over 32k on the clock. 2 keys,owners handbook,hbol, lots of receipts too. Some rust on rear arch but that's about it bar some surface bubbles on front valance. New plugs,alternator and oil change. Rear shoes have been replaced as have the fuel line and carb cleaned. Altogether it owes me about £900 quid and I will throw in a near enough complete 1275 auto engine. Car located near derby. Make me an offer. Consider swap for small car,preferably auto.

It's sad you're considering selling, I entirely understand.

I can't help wanting to try and help diagnose the problem all the same.  When you say 'limited forward drive' are you suspecting a gearbox issue or could it be something as simple as a throttle cable needing adjustment?  Tell me to FRO if you've already made up your mind and don't want to explore the issue.

When I bought it it squealed and slip when pulling off. Owners club said forward clutch shagged as it was fine in reverse. Replaced forward clutch and it no longer squeals,just revs up and creeps as if it's still slipping but no high pitch squeals

Had a natter with Chompy about this, he knows his Metros.  He suggested it could be either a failed torque converter if your car has one.  More hopefully, what you're describing happens with low or burnt gearbox oil and clogged filters so it might be a case of cleaning it out and/or topping it up to restore drive.

Apparently they do.  The three main causes Chompy encountered for the problem you've got is forward clutch being dead (which you've done), dead torque converters and burnt/low oil/clogged filters combo.  All these things can cause you to keep reverse but lose forward momentum while the car will rev its tits off if you try and make it go forward with more throttle.