Fiesta Sedan

fordpoplier

There's been saloon versions of the previous model Fiesta for the south american market I believe:

Posted Image

and this is the Ford Ikon, an Indian car based on the model before that:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quite interesting to read an American review of a European car, given that we're normally quite critical the other way around (won't go around corners, flabby handling blah blah). They seem pretty impressed which surprised me, I still picture ALL Americans driving 4.2 litre V8 tanks so figured a 1.6 max engine size would WTF??? them out. I did like this quote though...

(as a lot of Europeans do, all day) at 90 mph

Yes, we all do 90mph all day. The autobahns, they're right the way across europe and pass by my front door don'tchaknow? :)

Looks just like a shrunken Mondeo...

And for that very reason I think Ford would shif them if they launched them in this country. Perhaps not mega volumes, but certainly the Doris and Sid group who want to downsize but not look like they have downsized, or perhaps they prefer a boot to a hatch? So long as it would get Sids golf clubs in the back and Doris's cakes for the WI meet, I bet they would sell.Of course Beige and white would be the only colours they would come in.

Not so sure about that, when there's a 4 door version of a car usually sold as a small hatch, they seem incredibly difficult to shift in this country for reasons unknown. The Suzuki Baleno saloon for example.

Yeah, sold 'a few' where the hatch seemed to sell loads and loads. Going back to the Mk2 Polo there were a few more saloons sold but still vastly outnumbered by the hatch and coupe.

Dunno, on one hand I'm sure it wouldn't cost much (eg the Festa Sedan is indian, RHD country, so all the tooling is there) but not sure they'd sell loads.

Although I was surprised that they do a saloon version of the latest Focus, thought they'd got burned with that on the Mk1. Sure I only saw about a dozen out on the road, as opposed to thirteen trillion hatchbacks.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Dunno about that, look at Ventos. Jettas seem to be fairing better these days though.Back in the day, our old FoMoCo rep told us that Yanks see hatchbacks as downmarket, even though they are clearly far superior cars to saloons. That's why they soak up all the 4 door versions of hatches that Europeans are too sensible to buy.

I reckon mid-sized saloons cater for the old geezers, two proud to admit they can't cope with a large saloon any more. A nice Focus estate or something looks bigger, but isn't as likely to cause them hassle in Aldi's carpark. Fast-forward ten years when said old geezer can't see 10ft in front of him and you need an even smaller car. Saloons do seem more 'executive' though, didn't Ford drop the hatch version of the Granada citing reasons such as 'businessmen don't like draughty necks when the boot is opened' :)

• 3 weeks later...