FAO SCOTTISH BUS FOLKS..

320touring

I would absolutely love to get that to just-about-scrape-through MOT condition, leave the exterior 100% as is, and then drive it around Stonehouse's bus routes providing a terrifying, ghostly, lost-in-time bus experience. Rather than taking fares I'd just say "woo-ooo-ooo" and go translucent.

Didn't cms (Andy) used to own a bus?

I had about twelve, including four of those Alexander-bodied Leyland Leopards - HCS 793N, GCS 69V, PSX 188Y and PSX 189Y. Picked GCS 69V up from it's original owner with MOT for £500+vat back in the day.

ULS 330T was Midland's MPE330 though I think it spent time with Strathtay and Meffans so it'll be fairly pumped. That said I absolutely still would, those Leopards (in general, I was brought up in Western-Clydeside land) were the bus of my childhood and I really miss mine. They are rugged, aluminium bodied and framed so no rust, they look as cool as fuck.

Back in the day, we borrowed some ex lowland Seddon/Alexanders for our fledgling bus service. Think heavier leopard with Gardner engine and a four speed stick box! Green and yellow with "best bus in the country" in big vinyl letters down the side. Once we found out they were individual letters, they were never swapped around on the offside to spell rude things, oh no.

Mega mpg but after eight hours with one, you were totally wrecked.

That was new cross hospital for me every hour.

Leopard silencers(the small straight through ones) fit on atlanteans too.

Other notable roars - Bristol RE. Sitting by the town hall in the late nineties was a bus spotters wet dream of sounds.

Early (pre war) London RT class. A barking exhaust note truly unique to that early batch.

Five cylinder Gardners. A weird staccato note with muffled roar.

The CIE Bombardier double deckers. GM two stroke with Alison box. Very angry sounding things and sadly all gone too.

For really vocal sound effects try the Devon General Regent (ROD???) owned by one of the Blackman clan. It's got no silencer at all. That can be heard for miles!

I had about twelve, including four of those Alexander-bodied Leyland Leopards - HCS 793N, GCS 69V, PSX 188Y and PSX 189Y. Picked GCS 69V up from it's original owner with MOT for £500+vat back in the day.

ULS 330T was Midland's MPE330 though I think it spent time with Strathtay and Meffans so it'll be fairly pumped. That said I absolutely still would, those Leopards (in general, I was brought up in Western-Clydeside land) were the bus of my childhood and I really miss mine. They are rugged, aluminium bodied and framed so no rust, they look as cool as fuck.

What'd y'know about McEwans? Once or twice a year I see a McEwans bus it a livery that can only be described as diarrhea brown with yellow lettering and one yellow stripe down the side - Is someone moonlighting as a McEwans driver in an old coach?

Edit: I'm not really into the whole bus-spotting community but I see bits of pieces here & there and the knowledge surrounding any one vehicle seems to be pretty amazing. Pretty sure this is the bus I see , I wonder why they were running it around in a totally different livery. Seems to be deed now anyways.

5453223927_133506f6f9_b.jpg

MacEwans Coach Services Volvo B10M-55 Alexander-PS ( K745 DAO ) by stuartgillies91, on Flickr

I grew up with these in Linlithgow, the town's Midland Bluebird depot had lots of these up until around 2000. ULS338T was part of the local fleet.

As Andy said, alloy body and frame and a big unstressed shire horse of an engine made many of these see 20 years plus service. Hopefully this will be saved.