Mind the used Jonnys. Anglia 105E & G1 Honda Insight FOR SALE

jonny69

..while you're in France ..why not go shopping for anything else you might need for the Ami !? ;)

wish you a safe journey,  a comfortable ride, and a great time at LeMans  8) 

You couldn't make this up. The carbon clutch release bearing seems to have jumped off the selector fork and is jammed half behind it, so no clutch. How has that even happened? Any way to rectify this with the engine in situ or is it basically now game over?

image.jpg

• 1 month later...

Engine out yesterday with help from Big_Pappa69.

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

Diagnosis is clutch bearing was dead and it caught on the clutch plate. Probably pulled it out the fork. You can see the broken bit in the bottom of the bellhousing.

Things Citroen people tell you #56:

56) Just undo the four engine bolts and slide the engine forwards. Will take about 20 minutes max.

-Just undo. Lol. Top two bolts are accessible, but the bottom ones are not. Left hand side one needs the oil filter taking off, which again needed a very big bar to get it undone and oil went everywhere; right hand side one needs the exhaust downpipe and box taking out. Even then, the brake drums are RIGHT in the way of anything you try to put on the nuts.

-Slide the engine forwards. Lol. The front panel of the car has to come off to slide the engine anywhere. This means unbolting a LOT of stuff, disconnecting the lights, the headlight adjusting mechanism, bonnet catch, braces, wings, bumper and many inaccessible stupid little bolts. THEN the front engine mounts, THEN you will find it can only slide forwards about 10mm because of the front crossmember. It needs lifting up quite a long way, gearbox supporting from underneath and then it'll slide off with help from a pry bar.

-20 minutes max. I made that about 4 hours with two people on it. I've taken a lot of engines out in my time and that was one of the worst.

Things Citroen people tell you #57:

57) Engine only weighs about 25 kg, don't even need a crane.

-25kg? You're kidding, right? 50-60kg maybe, not 25kg.

-Don't even need a crane. You're having a laugh aren't you? Did you not notice the comedy* angle you need the engine and box at to slide the engine off the gearbox? Have you even seen the length of the spindly little input shaft in the gearbox? Yeah, go on, just yank it off by yourself and see what happens. I dare you!

Anyway, it's out now, diagnosed and parts on their way. Big_Pappa69 coming back next week to help me put it back in. I'm planning to take it to RRG, but it would be stupid to say I'm confident it'll make it.

Experience, jonny. That's all you need. And a little patience if you struggle with the job, first time. 

That crane's strong enough to lift up a fully laden Ami, btw! Should be easy with two men - I'm not huge at all but can manage easily without help, by meself.

"You're having a fucking laugh aren't you? Did you not notice the comedy* angle you need the engine and box at to slide the engine off the gearbox? Have you even seen the length of the spindly little input shaft in the gearbox? Yeah, go on, just yank it off by yourself and see what happens. I dare you."

Try supporting the gearbox with a piece of wood under it, a length of 2x3 is enough. Engine needs to be jacked up about a couple of inches for the crankcase to clear the chassis member.

Anyway, you've learnt your lesson - don't ask people who've done it before, they'll tell you it's not difficult if that's the case. Much better to swear and curse with others who agree with you!

You are discovering the downsides of Ami ownership. Dyanes are also a bit of a pig to work on. Getting the engine out of a 2CV is much easier, because you can remove the front bodywork in mere seconds. Not as bad as early Meharis though. On those, you have to remove the entire body sides if you want to get the rocker covers off...

• 9 months later...

Well, fuck. I managed 20+ years knocking about in classic cars but a change of jobs at the end of last year put a sad end to that era. They decided to close down my department at work and can all the projects, so I was forced to look for something else. I went fuck it, I'm going to go and work in F1, which I did, but it means my commute is too long for either the Anglia or the Shitroen to realistically deal with. It would also bankrupt me in petrol.

I didn't really know what to look for. All I knew was that I hated driving moderns, wasn't interested in them in the slightest and that made it quite difficult throwing a load of wad at something I actually didn't want. Then I was chatting with Mrs_Seth on Facebook and she suggested I should get an Insight. Bizarrely, for something so scarce, there's a guy importing them just round the corner from me, so one was viewed and purchased. Here it is.

post-4119-0-84513900-1495198595_thumb.jpg

It's properly 90s concept car in design. This is a late one made in 2005. Drives like a late 90s-designed car, as expected.

Stats. 1-litre petrol with hybrid motor backup. About 100hp all-in. CVT auto. Lean burn because it's an import. All-aluminium and weighs around 760kg. Does me about 72-74mpg per tank commuting on the M1 and M25 at normal speeds. Best one-way commute was a little over 94mpg. I think it probably has 100mpg in it, but not on my shitty commute route.

To be fair, it is quite crap and has plenty of shite qualities; but I deemed it a bit too new, probably too expensive, too green and too complicated for the main board :D

More useless information:

-The IMA motor is on the flywheel and permanently turns with the engine, so it can't drive on electric-only like a Prius.

-Battery is about 35kg of NiMH and where you'd normally have back seats. It's in a fucking massive box with a gigantic 1990s computer with flashing lights and lots of fans. 168 Volts @ 100 Amps at full chat. There's a pair of hench orange cables running front to back with DANGER written all over them!

-Press the accelerator and you get part engine / part electric doing the work. Take your foot off the accelerator and the engine cuts. It coasts down using the electric motor regen to 'engine brake'.

-Engine stays off if you come to a stop and just restarts as soon as you take your foot off the brake.

-The weird thing is because the IMA motor is on the flywheel, it doesn't crank before it starts. It just sort of goes from stopped to running.

-Motorway work is a mixture of lean burn if you're doing a constant speed and dipping in and out of the battery when you speed up and slow down.

-Very top part of the travel on the brake pedal engages full regen but no brakes. You can do most of your braking this way.

Steady speed empeejees I've seen, roughly:

80mph - 65-66mpg COUGH, OR SO I'VE HEARD

70mph - 70mpg

60mph - 84+mpg

50mph - 94-98mpg

Around town it does about 45-50mpg