Dull Q - Peugeot 405 clutches

Milford Cubicle

Look at the clutch cable, if the inner works the arm it's just a bog standard good old clutch.If the outer moves the arm, it's the nasty works totally backwards, pain in the @rse, why the f*ck did they design this type of clutch, clutch.

You might find it useful to subscribe to http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/. It gives you exploded diagrams, part numbers and even official dealer prices from your VIN.

Change the language to English and click s'inscrire. It's a bit of a faff to begin with but it's easy to use once you've sussed it and very useful. I use the Citroen version quite a lot.

There are two types of clutches listed for my 405 - a 'pull-type' (1992-1997) and a 'push-type'(1990-1997), how do I find out which is the right one for my car? I should have done this before I ordered a 'push-type'. :roll:

Which engine do you have? If it's a 1.9TD then it's 99.99% a pull type clutch.

It is a 1.9 TD, but the clutch is listed for a 1990-1997 405 1.9TD - which is why it's got me baffled.Push-type clutches are just on the earlier/lowlier models then?

That listing is teh wrongzorz then. 1.8TD's (to 1992) had a push clutch, 1.9TD's (from 1992 on) had a pull clutch. What the listing is probably mistaking is that the 1.9D non-turbo had a push clutch and was available from 1988 to 1997. (possibly with a change in 1990, hence the 1990-1997 listing)