Am I strange?

Father Ted

Am I Totally Tonto?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Am I Totally Tonto?

• Yes - please step into this room lined with rubber wallpaper now...
    • No - Non UK market Tin is unlovely and I would rather pierce my own nipples with a stapler than buy a Yank Tank

Non UK tin just does nothing for me at all.This applies to both cars and trains. Had an amazingly slack afternoon at work where the DNA rate at my clinic has gone through the roof and was forced to read one of the magazines from the waiting room - the only "bloke-ish" mag was Railway Today or summat like that, and whilst the UK tin was fullfilling, the German, French and Sweedish stuff oddly was not.I also find Yank Tin (cars) about as un lovely as a session with the urethral scrape probe.Am I odd - or do other people find foriegn stuff a bit, well, lacking in va-va-voom?

Sorry, I think you should call the little green van with the men who give you the nice jackets where you can hug yourself all day.Mind you, I guess I'm the complete opposite, I find most UK stuff a bit on the dull side. Maybe they can pick me up after... :D

I find the bulk of old British cars to be fairly dull to be honest. Those that do interest me are usually a big let down when it comes to either driving or just owning (or both). That said there are still a few I'd make house room for.I admire the styling of many old American cars, particularly the 1960's stuff but apart from V8 goodness, mechanically they are totally agricultural and uniteresting. They last simply because they are made of girders and hunks of cast iron and have little engineering finesse. The driving experience isn't all that thrilling but okay for leisurely croozin' and guzzlin' gas. Driving my old '73 Omega was like stepping into a scene from Shaft, such was it's absolute browness and tyre squeeling wallowing round corners.Japanese stuff interests me because of interesting styling and engineering excellence. Generally they're not mechanically inovative but they're so well screwed together they just go on and on. They do tend to be well equipped cars for their age though. French stuff interests me in the same way as japanese cars but with the added bonus of bizarre mechanicals too. Some really clever thinking goes into some old French stuff. I don't feel a huge attraction to Italian cars with maybe Alfa being the exception. That's more a nostalgia thing as I was indoctrinated a little when I was young. I think the only cars I've never had a great deal of interest in is German cars. Well engineered and very rarely ugly, yet they've never captured my imagination and I've never longed for one of any kind. I kind of like a few older models but not enough to want to own one.

Having owned Yank stuff from a '55 Chevy 210 to a '94 Cadillac, the driving and owning experiences are, shall we say, variable! The '55 knocked spots off British stuff of the same era and class, some of the seventies stuff I've had was awful, but in a lumbering, endearing way. You haven't lived until you've buried the loud pedal in something big and stupid [and watched the fuel gauge instantly drop by about a third!] Biggest blast of the lot was a '28 Model A with a Corvette lump/4 speed manual , which would waste Imprezzas [in a straight line at least] all very juvenile, but highly amusing.....

I'm keen on French tat and Jap kit in particular, but still like everything else, big up respect to the Italian, German, and Swedish marques!I think I never really built any attachment to American metal as I never grew up with it - how could I get attached to a Pontiac when my neighbour had a Viva!

I have an unhealthy liking for 1940s US stuff, a Chrysler Wimbledon would be a huge laugh if you like 4 litre engines and 60bhp. Saloon version only, cabrios are for show-offs.

Posted Image

Anything that could have been in an Ealing comedy has a strange appeal too.

Some 60s US stuff looks good, I'd much rather have a Ford Galaxie than a Ford Galaxy :wink:

Posted Image

If I wanted to be elected as Autoshite president I'd probably have an AMC Eagle. Phooooar 8)

Posted Image

I've had various cars from foreign climes and I can safely say that good cars (and crap ones) can come from anywhere. Saying "I'll never buy a French car" or whatever is cutting yourself off from some quality motoring if you dig deep enough.

I think AMC in particular stand out from the pack as their cars were always a bit odd compared to products from the big three. They were prepared to try stuff that the Detroit giants weren't, like the Pacer and Eagle. They didn't always hit the mark but they were a bit more adventurous than most American companies.

French is my fave but I love anything old from anywhere - the more hated when new the better. Funnily I used to dislike US tin but slowly I've aquired the taste - I'm developing a bit of a thing for AMCs and Studebakers also the ludicrous old Lincolns (I think I'm the one going weerd)If anything it's Australian cars I like(d) the least (Holdens specifically since they have a sort of nationalistic conservative 'thing' and owned by folks who 'don't do jonny foreigner's crap' ) but I've softened to them too just because they've become old and shit like everything else just makes them lovely too. I love old British shite, especially Rovers and BMC.Only thing I don't get is Shiters that don't like some example of shite at all!What is it about old Yank Tanks you cannae dig?

Sorry, I should have been clearer - an hour farting about with Ascribe software left me brain pickled.

Non UK market tin, rather than non UK (made) tin is what does not float me boat.

Yes, I like the BX, but that AMD does nothing for me. Nor Chrysler Le-Barrons and the like. Also locomotives churned out by the Germans, Yanks and others dont entertain me at all ( this goes for UK rolling stock that was imported like Class 60's)

Just wondered if it was me, or whether anyone else found this stuff Fugly in its design?

Editorized for clarity:

Posted Image

Lovely...

Posted Image

Just not right at all...

Posted Image

Teh Sex

Posted Image

Teh Bucket of Cold Water...

But then - This (whilst not truly sexy in an underpant elastic pinging sort of way) is good...

Posted Image

This on the other hand induces willy shrivelling nonsexiness

Posted Image

Me, I love virtually everything, as long as it's built after 1950 and preferably before the mid eighties. Love late 50s yanks, 70s japanese, everything French, everything east European... The only things which leave me a little cold are the exotic stuff (Ferraris, Lambos etc), MGs and most 'classic' classics. Or anything customised. Never used to like UK cars much when it came to driving them, but some of my dream classic garage would be British - P6 Rover, Cortina Mk II, Corsair, Lagonda Rapide, Humbre Sceptre mid sixties etc etc etc

I like pretty much everything really, though I'm biased towards the unusual and obscure. Non-UK market stuff provides yet more stuff for me to be fascinated with, weird Japanese imports with super chintzy interiors, Lincoln Continentals, Dodge Monaco stacklight, Dodge Coronets with the weird snouty nose, that sort of thing.

I like anything that reflects the nation that made it. First love is Italian cars that look more at home in an art gallery than a showroom, but I can still appreciate quirky J-tin, big brash Yank Tanks, French cars that were designed by philosophers and traditional English cars that look like a Harvester pub on wheels :) What I can't stand are the so-called world cars, that are supposed to be all things to all people but end up being so bland they mean nothing to anyone. Shiters are refreshingly normal. If the men in white coats come their first call should be to my neighbour who replaces his Honda Civic with a brand new one every three years; my definition of being completely bonkers :shock:

I like American cars from the late 60's to the early 80s as that was what was normally in my favourite shows like the A-Team and Knight Rider.But for me Eurpoean, Russian and UK market tin (in that order) is my 'taste'.However, American trucks from the 40's to the 70's are a big interest of mine.As far as Locos are concerned, only UK items are of any interest to me, such as Classes 37, 40 and 47. However the Canadian-built class 66 has a utilitarian appeal.

There seems to be a bit of a dislike on here towards the smaller and more rubbish 80s American cars, personally I love them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fantastic! Great for pretending to be Principal Rooney, Sergeant Taggart or Charles Bronson (in a generic angry cop style role) respectively. Look at the ludicrous vertical aerials and lashings of cheap chrome! Brilliant!