Xmas Day Car Borkage with BONUS Idiot Points - Car NOW SOALDED

Guest Breadvan72

Guest Breadvan72

Whoops.  Xmas get thereitis takes a toll.  Hilarity enhanced by Alfa 75 breaking down almost exactly opposite on the other side of the motorway.  Much cheery waving ensued.  His rescue truck got there first.

As for the HPE - looks bad.  More info after the hols.  

Me = fuckwit.  When an old car, or any car, sends you a clear message to stop, you fookin well stop.  I know that.  It is THE LAW. Reader, I fought the Law, and the Law won. 

EDIT:  1000 quid gets you a structurally sound car with a knacked engine but loadsa spares and a working supercharger.    Rebuilt engine on sale in Scotland.  [That turned out to be a scam, it appears]

EDIT AGAIN:  Now sold to a bloke.

post-5528-0-99591900-1419542403_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-03135300-1419542437_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-99411600-1419542461_thumb.jpg

That's not the kind of Christmas Present you want..

I'm sorry to see that.

I hope you manage to find a decent engine ok for the old girl and it doesn't cost to much to repair.

That looks a lovely old car and red really does make a HPE stand out, you've really got to give it to the Italians when it comes to a Stylish car.

Guest Breadvan72

I felt quite phlegmatic about it all yesterday.  Went to bed, kipped mightily, woke up all happy, remembered what had happened, and felt a bit pissed off. Luckily, I have a ten year old daughter, so I know all the words to that song from Frozen.  

Guest Breadvan72

I walked back along the motorway (on the safe side of the barrier) to see if I had left any bits of car on the road, but couldn't see any, although they may have been scattered already by passing traffic.    I didn't see anyone swerving, or taking damage from debris, so hopefully not.    I suspect that some uppy downy round and roundy bits have indeed had a bang at the block.     The car is now parked outside a local garage which I will ask to give me the bad news on Monday. I may then need a hand rope towing it a few miles back to my place if any Ox/Bucks shiters fancy  a few minutes of terror looking at the back of an old Landy and trying to get un powered brakes to work.  My wife won't help with towing as it freaks her oot.

I am already hearing via Facebook of people who have blocks, even complete engines (the Volumex version of the two litre twin cam has some differences from the standard unit), so the car may be saveable, but I may look to sell it as a project as I don't have the space, time, skillz etc and would rather spend the money on other heaps.  The problem is that I know from eBay that the supercharger on its own could sell for £1500 or more.  I am reluctant to part oot the car, but will I be able to get someone to pay that amount for the whole thing?  Buy supercharger, get car free. I would rather it be saved than go to some kit car or pre War MG blower fancier. 

Sorry this has happened, I always wanted one of them too.

I am already hearing via Facebook of people who have blocks, even complete engines (the Volumex version of the two litre twin cam has some differences from the standard unit), so the car may be saveable, but I may look to sell it as a project as I don't have the space, time, skillz etc and would rather spend the money on other heaps.  The problem is that I know from eBay that the supercharger on its own could sell for £1500 or more.  I am reluctant to part oot the car, but will I be able to get someone to pay that amount for the whole thing?  Buy supercharger, get car free. I would rather it be saved than go to some kit car or pre War MG blower fancier. 

To put some perspective on it, how much would it be worth with an un-borked engine?

Guest Breadvan72

Cheers beko, we need to wait until Watlington Garage have eyeballed the damage.

Skattrd sold me the car early last year for 2K, which was a bargain.  I was planning to sell it next month for 3K - price increase because it has had work done on it since I bought it and now has a lot of spares with it  (eBay antics R Us).   The yarmouth was going to need new brakes and attention to some bleb soon, but nothing too terrible on the bleb front.  A perfect one of these might be 4k to 5K tops.  

All Lancia Betas still have the curse of the Daily Mirror and that cock end Clarkson upon them, even though anyone who has ever driven any variant of Beta knows that they are fookin ace and ought to be worth good wonga, if the world were righteous and sane.  Still, if the world were righteous and sane, then fuckbrains like me wouldn't be allowed to bork rare and good cars.   

Skattrd sold me the car early last year for 2K, which was a bargain.  I was planning to sell it next month for 3K - price increase because it has had work done on it since I bought it and now has a lot of spares with it  (eBay antics R Us).   The yarmouth was going to need new brakes and attention to some bleb soon, but nothing too terrible on the bleb front.  A perfect one of these might be 4k to 5K tops.  

Deffo a bargain. 3 grand would give you a budget of 1,500 quids for the repairs, or maybe a tad more than that if you feel guilty about it...

My dad had a couple of HPE's back in the day (just boggo 2.0's), absolutely lovely cars. A supercharged one has been on my want list since I first heard of their existence.