Rover 25 GTI - *flashback*

Jim Bell

Coming down a narrow high kerbed tunnel in car park. Rounded a corner and there was a pedestrian. I swerved.

There's signs saying NO PEDESTRIAN ACCESS FOR A REASON.

Think he was off his tits on glue or similar.

Oh fuck. That's terrible! I know where there's a breakers full of 25 \ ZR bits if it helps.....

Want me to get el prices? I'm going there for some MGF bits soon, so can probably pick 'em up on the way? In KNOB_VAN?

Cheers dude. Bang me a text before you go if you don't mind. I'll have a look and see what's required. Hopefully nothing's propper bent.

I'll get you a price on the 25's OSF wing and bumper - they're the same colour which would help in the short term.

Take it you can't sue this nob for damages?

Fucksticks. It seems to be the week for cars getting smashed up, Dez of Retros Rides had his homebuilt rat rod diesel pickup smashed up Saturday as well,

I guess if you claim off your own insurance not only would they write it off but next years premium would go up too. Hope you can get it sorted for not much cash. 

Coming down a narrow high kerbed tunnel in car park. Rounded a corner and there was a pedestrian. I swerved.

There's signs saying NO PEDESTRIAN ACCESS FOR A REASON.

Think he was off his tits on glue or similar.

What did he get for Christmas? A fucking death wish!

Hopefully it not too bad eh? 

Fucksticks. It seems to be the week for cars getting smashed up, Dez of Retros Rides had his homebuilt rat rod diesel pickup smashed up Saturday as well,

I've nearly had four car accidents (none my fault!) in the least week, all this makes me a bit nervous... Two morons nearly run into me while I was on mini roundabouts slamming their anchors on just in time to stop themselves barreling through the junction like it wasn't there. Just today it was a Tesco deliver driver pulling out on me while I was doing 60 and earlier some idiot in one of those stupid faux-4x4 lifted hatchbacks doing near enough an emergency stop so they didn't hit a fucking tiny pheasant.

I'm buying another dash cam, screw it.

Gutted to see this,really like this car :-(

It's not dead.

Drove it home tonight on the space-raider. Feels fine. Will confirm cosmetics only damage when the sun comes up.

If you enjoy mis-matched panels of varying colours, AND I THINK WE ALL DO!, you might want to bookmark this Fred.

Now my mechanical knowledge is limited, but I've had a look at some of the metal parts that live behind the wheel, and as far as I can see, everything thats meant to be straight is straight, and everything thats meant to be curved is curved.

People with more sense than me, please feel free to check out the below pics and tell me whats actually damaged:

Well theres yer prarblam:

kqXkeYV.jpg

wvd6c8j.jpg

Straight bit is straight:

3rHD4gV.jpg

RcOBYd6.jpg

SPkky4G.jpg

VTajv7i.jpg

Bent bit is correctly bent:

S5eMKzA.jpg

Strut, top and spring look ok:

z1hB539.jpg

CeUtrIP.jpg

wsGbL8h.jpg

Other side for comparatives:

85JIxfV.jpg

Tried to pull the wing out a bit:

Before:

2DJD631.png

After:

Ch9lkhn.jpg

VIRTUALLY NEIN IMPROFFMINTS.

Not too bad, ON THE HOLE.

Might get away with just bolt on bits.  The headlight is pointing VERY WRONGWAYS, but seems fixed absolutely solid in place, as if it hasnt been moved. Will see what the crack is when the bumper comes off. Cant really see anything from the bay.

Booked in for a new tyre tommorow (sure that wheel will hold air fine and ballance up*).

TRW has very very kindly offered to provide some bits, so might be on for a proper sorting.

Watch some space.

Looks areet to me.

Get the tyre done then get a garage to check wheel alignment as its bound to be off a bit now.

If you can get the bits, then fine - otherwise a bodyshop will have that wing sorted no problem. The headlight brackets have probably been pushed in or the panel they fix to will have bent - once its stripped down that will probably just pull back into place fairly easily - doent need to be pretty, just needs to get the headlight sitting correctly then an MOT garage to fine tune the adjustment of the headlight aim.

I've nearly had four car accidents (none my fault!) in the least week, all this makes me a bit nervous... ... Etc......doing near enough an emergency stop so they didn't hit a fucking tiny pheasant.

I'm buying another dash cam, screw it.

Just saying like, shouldn't we leave enough space between us and the vehicle in front for exactly this kind of stuff? I couldn't actually run over a pheasant, no matter how tiny if it could be avoided. If something runs into the road surely the natural reaction is to brake. Hard. Once the millisecond or ten that it takes the brain to compute that it isn't a child or a dog etc. The driver that is too close behind either hits you in the rear or misses you (hopefully). Not being confrontational. But them's the rules really. Leave room for error. IMHO.

As for cars/vans/ pedestrians etc actually pulling/jumping out in front of you, fair enough. Unavoidable.

From looking at your pics, the front suspension looks OK. You might want to "relax" and retighten the big nut on the front of that tiebar (access through a hole in the front subframe). There's 2 big bushes in there and they can get knocked off-kilter if you crack a wheel on a kerb etc. That said, the tyre monkeys should know that when they're doing your alignment.

Attached are some PDFs for how to take the front end apart, if you need 'em. I can't find the one for removing the front wings, but it's pretty obvious once you get the bumper off.

Good luck!

front bumper.pdf

Headlamp.pdf

Wheel arch liner.pdf

Thanks very much SD. Yeah, the wing bolts are pretty obvious, but I'm thinking just pull it out and leave it on.

I'm expecting every bolt holding the bumper on to snap so may invest in or enlist the assistance of someone with a cordless drill.

Just going for tyre and alignment now.

uD6L8ei.png

Well the news is not Good news. There's something seriously bent.

New tyre on, took it for a run. Heard a rubbing noise from the osf.

"Is that the bearing?"

I thought. Could be. Carried on. Then smelled burning rubber. Ok. Stop. Checked for wheel to body contact. Nothing touching that I cound see.

Limped on into Asda car park and phoned a friend. Overrun suggests jacking it and stunning the wheel to check bearing.

Soon as I jacked it, the problem was apparent.

A0z6glV.png

The tyre is rubbing on the spring cup bottom and on the back of the arch.
Well that's not good.
Rang the Tyre fitters (just fucking spent £100 on another tyre and alignment). They said, bring it back and we'll have a look at it, but if it's crash damage, we'll have to charge you for labour.

So I won't be doing that.
Something is bent. Probably the strut or the bottom arm thing. This is bad news.

Running spend total:

£1145.46

Thinking time.

You need to get both front wheels off and do a detailed inspection of both sides looking for differences between the two sides.

If the wheel is touching the strut, something is very bent, quite possibly the strut itself (which is a straightforward bolt in/out meccano job if you need a new one).