What has two seats, a mid-mounted 6 cylinder engine, and a turbo? Time for windscreen number 5!

mat_the_cat

Bullet has been bitten!

post-5223-0-08455100-1445541329_thumb.jpg

With the slight doubt about the 'acceptable' visible cracks, the wear in the guides (would be getting on for £200 to replace them all), plus the fact I don't know whether it will pass a pressure test, I decided that for peace of mind I'd be better with a new one. And that's not even taking into account the shiny factor!

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a delay on this getting exhaust valves, but they arrived and it's now assembled. Just an excuse to show more shinyness!

post-5223-0-23471000-1446918363_thumb.jpg

So I've cleaned up the surface of the block, and the carbon deposits from the top of the cylinder walls. I'd thought there was a tiny wear lip at the end of the ring's travel, but once cleaned up there was nothing detectable whatsoever. Amazing for over 250k miles!

Gasket in place using a couple of old cut down head bolts to hold it in position. Strangely there was no dowel in the block for precise location.

post-5223-0-62482800-1446918273_thumb.jpg

And the new head is now on, but yet to finish the torquing procedure as it has to be run until warm, then cooled before the final stage.

post-5223-0-73661100-1446918315_thumb.jpg

I didn't actually, my reasoning being that I'm not planning to tune it, it's pretty low revving anyway (so air velocity unlikely to be the limiting factor) and I was worried about changing the swirl characteristics with little knowledge of what I was doing!

I got it all back together yesterday evening, and ran it up to temperature to do an oil & coolant flush. Sounding much healthier now!

I'd only got a spanner to do up the injectors with, so with the head off I obviously wasn't able to get enough leverage to get them to seal - and with the head on I couldn't get the spanner in. So I've now bought a deep 27 mm socket to torque them properly.

I went for a 30 mile or so test drive last night, and all seems well apart from a possible exhaust blow...will double check the manifold nuts. Just a faint ticking under load. Not the best evening for a breakdown if there'd been a problem though - torrential rain, gale force winds and no mobile signal!

I notice from the Grumpy Old Man thread that practical threads are being missed, so I'm afraid this is all I can do for now. It's hardly a highlight, but I bought a new battery last week and starting is now instant again :-) Have a picture!

post-5223-0-69412900-1448054263_thumb.jpg

I too find the Sony beep annoying, so will have to investigate turning it off!

I notice from the Grumpy Old Man thread that practical threads are being missed, so I'm afraid this is all I can do for now. It's hardly a highlight, but I bought a new battery last week and starting is now instant again :-) Have a picture!

attachicon.gifDSC_5727.JPG

I too find the Sony beep annoying, so will have to investigate turning it off!

On my Sony head unit you hold the volume knob down until it enters a menu, then beep>off.

I like the video of you 'kneeing' the valve cover to hold it in place.

• 1 month later...

Well, this has been an eventful last couple of days! Out of the 3 vehicles we currently have on the road, the only one fully working is the van. Despite the fact it's done 60k miles more than the other two put together! First her MINI ('04) snapped the handbrake cable, and then we set off for Sheffield yesterday in the Kangoo, in terrible weather. 10 miles down the road and there's a bang from the rear, followed by a grating sound and a pulsing brake pedal. My guess is one of the shoes has broken up inside the drum.

So we limped back home and transferred everything to the van. Turned out that was probably a wise move, given the flooding we came across!

(NB. I wasn't filming - I'd have done it in landscape...)

Everything went smoothly once we were out of Wales, and even managed 26 mpg :-) Also, the OE temperature sender I fitted is making the needle sit in the middle of the gauge rather than 3/4 towards hot. 400 miles on the new head and all seems well.

The van's been earning its keep yesterday, towing a small digger back home so we can lay some drainage.

post-5223-0-63299600-1451592734_thumb.jpg

At 3000 kg it's the most I've actually towed with it, and was slow but steady!

Trenching went well...

post-5223-0-32950300-1451592904_thumb.jpg

...until...

post-5223-0-79496500-1451592845_thumb.jpg

A new, unwanted water feature :-( Turned out the water supply to the house had been laid only a few inches below ground! But after fixing that, and 12 hours later, it was all done!

post-5223-0-49591200-1451592899_thumb.jpg

We've had standing water outside the house for weeks now, the ground is so saturated. At least now it can drain away.

I have to lob a drain in down the hardstanding area where I park my car as its usually a couple of inches deep after a heavy rainfall. Fortunately there is a storm drain running nearby with an inspection chamber ( which I usually lift up and sweep the water into) so when no one from the council is looking I'll tap into that....

Hope you have buried the water main a bit deeper now Mat.