Tempcover vs. the Post Office / DVLA?

pogweasel

Anyone successfully taxed a piece of shite on a tempcover policy?

To obtain taxPolicyholders of tempcover.com are allowed to use their certificate of insurance to tax their vehicle. A number of other leading short term insurance providers DO NOT give consent for this. (Subject to DVLA/PostOffice acceptance)

https://www.tempcover.com/TempCover/tcvTxtReasons.aspxI've got to collect my ZX ebay trophy, but I want to put it on a short-term cover to begin otherwise I have to fart about something royal transferring my NCB from the BMW (which may or may not be going into storage, depending on employment, when the T&T are up at the end of the month). Now what are the chances of me getting to sunny Slough and being turned away when trying to get tax? Slim? High? Insane??Alternatively, if I book up in advance, would the tempcover policy show on the MID, allowing me to do some online jiggypokery?All a PITA really, don't want to get knobbed in the bum by DVLA ? ANPR right now as I needs to keep the money in my pocket!

You cannot tax a vehicle on line if its not in your name.This is such a pain in the hole!! I bought the 405 specifically to use to and from a residential course.Because of the bloody endless hoops the DVLA make you jump through just so you can pay them money - I couldn't use it at all and I'd already transfered the insurance from my AX so couldn't use that either.I ended up using the cosworth all week and burning enough money in petrol as the fuggin tax disc would have cost - if I was allowed to buy one!Arseholes - the lot of them!I feel your pain :x

Speaking live from Slough now I'd say you would be the only person taxed and insured in Slough :lol:

Not had a problem with cover notes* myself, I reckon your average postie counter would cry about it. Can you get the seller to tax for you? The main post office is the back of smiths in the centre of town.

*Mrs E is the only non grumpy post mistress in the country, however unfortunately Pog she lives and works in Essex cos that where my house is.

I've used a faxed certificate to tax a car before when the post took too long. 12 months later, in exactly the same situation, they refused it at the same post office.I'd say print out your certificate from tempcover on the bestest colour laser printer you can find, so it doesn't look like something you drew yourself, and go for it. Do tempcover have a phone number that the post office can ring to verify the legitishness?

Lateral thinking Pog, take out a real policy and abuse the 14 day cancellation clause :twisted:

You can do this once, maybe twice. They start to get really upset as it'll be logged on the insurers database, and some companies may refuse to insure you if they think you're on the fiddle.

I've taxed a car on a 7 day ebay insurance tht was emailed to me and I printed off, so anything is possible.On the other hand, pop to Reading (junction 10) and use Cemetary Junction post office on the London Road. They don't seem to care where any of the documents come from. :wink:

Off-topic but there's a GR8 curry house in Burnham called Peppers, I was in there last night. You should pop in when you collect the "Elation".The MID bit won't work for online taxation purchase as you ain't the reg'd keeper yet.On-topic again, why don't you ask if you can have 2 weeks temporary cover with the insurer of your Beemer (i.e. tell 'em you've bought a replacement and you're going to sell it, but you need it insured for test drives etc) - t'wife did this when going from Fabia to Accord and it cost something like 25 squid for 14 days, fully comp - so the same as 2 days' Tempcover. I reckon that would be a better bet all round than trying to bluff Postman Pat, should also mean the car is then on ASKMID and hence the risk of Plod pull twixt Burnham and Biggleswade is reduced.Bit of a daft question, but has the current owner got it insured? Might be worth an ask, add the cost of a drink to 6 months' rent and get 'em to do it for you.