Corsa B £180

RobT

Fresh from Vauxhall's heritage fleet comes this Corsa 1.2 Swing. It's a base spec so has bugger all in terms of toys, which makes for a charming driving experience....MoTd to the 2nd May 2015, 4 decent tyrez (all Uniroyals), mostly solid bodywork and a grim interior.

Front brakes squeak a bit sometimes, but it pulls up straight and is actually quite a decent thing to potter about in. 5 speeder too so is fine on the motorway once wound up. I'm yet to work out how to open the ruddy fuel filler cap (why so difficult?!!) so i ran it on vapours when I collected it a few weeks back.

Don't all rush at once...

post-5013-0-51008600-1417705108_thumb.jpgpost-5013-0-73328800-1417705143_thumb.jpgpost-5013-0-23488000-1417705184_thumb.jpg

Shit the bed, that's got my name written all over it! It's still a long sho(i)t though due to distance/funds/ect. Has it got the 'all important' power steering?

I don't think they have a fuel cap release by the way, so just lock/unlock central locking (if it has that) then try it. if no joy just WD40 the gaps and get pulling!

Ooh.  Bit of a bargain, that.  How many miles on it?  (not that it's particularly important at that price).  I confess I rather like these but not enough to take this one off your hands.  It could only be better if it was in that lairy purple colour they all seemed to be in at one point.

Bollocks.

I misread the title as "For Sale - Corsa B.180" ie 180 Thai Baht. That's about £3.60.

As an extra kick in the teeth it's in London Village. Here in Chiang Mai, this vehicle would be worth upwards of B.100,000; that's two grand of your Queen's pounds!

I know because a friend of mine had one here, same colour etc, a couple years back he was asking 120,000 THB, and he was fighting the punters off with a shitty stick!

No PAS alas, so really is bargain basement. I've upped the psi in the fronts so it's a bit better, but it makes me realise PAS is the one thing I'd struggle to live without on a daily.

Mileage is 111,000 but the engine runs well and is quiet, similar to wot other Vauxhalls of this era are like. If my insurance company didn't want to bum me for £80, I'd have put this on my classic policy and run it for a while. The Rover 75 was only an extra 40, so WTF is that about?

Bollocks.I misread the title as "For Sale - Corsa B.180" ie 180 Thai Baht. That's about £3.60.As an extra kick in the teeth it's in London Village. Here in Chiang Mai, this vehicle would be worth upwards of B.100,000; that's two grand of your Queen's pounds!I know because a friend of mine had one here, same colour etc, a couple years back he was asking 120,000 THB, and he was fighting the punters off with a shitty stick!

GR9 for export then Joe!

I paid £180 and have lobbed it on the bumming tree for £275, so I fully expect loads of Mongs to offer me 50p for it.

Rob's in London, I'm in Chiang Mai for the winter.

GR9 for export then Joe!

Not to here, once you've paid for it to get it into port, you're stung with 300% (of market value here) impost duty (unless you pay a comparable amount in baksheesh), so it doesn't happen much as a result.

Well, that was embarrassing. I had potential buyers turn up on time earlier, nice couple too, and the bastard thing wouldn't start. I've noticed it can be a reluctant starter, but is normally fine after two or three cranks, so will charge the battery overnight to see if that helps.

The bloke even said to contact him back if I do manage to fix it, so he must be desperate! I felt a right twat though and apologised for wasting their time.

Crankshaft sensors in Vauxhalls are no more than a 'Hazelnut in Caramel' Quality Street rammed into the engine block. I'd bet my last Noisette Triangle on that being the culprit.

I really don't see the problem with no PAS. I've got 195s in the front and apart from making slightly heavier weather of getting out of tight spots its completely fine. Less to go wrong.

Despite doing 'stuff' to this today the muthafucka still won't start. Most annoying. And my local motor factors wanted to shaft me for 40 quid for a new crank sensor, even though the C12 NZ engine in this doesn't have one. They must be affiliated to Euro Car Parts these days as they've gone a bit shit recently.

On the plus side I managed to open the fuel cap AT LAST and bunged some pez in, so atleast I know an empty tank isn't the problem.

I'm tempted to tow it to my new lock-up and forget about it until the New Year, as the 220 is currently sitting outside open to the elements and would rather have that under cover.

ARSE.

Has it dragged up any shit from an almost empty tank? Piss taking aside have you tried constant turning over with your foot on the floor and random checking of plugs to see if they're wet?

Has it dragged up any shit from an almost empty tank? Piss taking aside have you tried constant turning over with your foot on the floor and random checking of plugs to see if they're wet?

Yes, did plenty of that yesterday! Plugs were moist and all blacked up when I took them out, so gave them a clean and the engine bay reeked of fuel so atleast the pez is getting through.

Will take a look at the distributor and see if a bit of fiddling will sort it, or try and get a cheap replacement. Previous owner had new dizzy cap, rotor arm and HT leads last year due to starting issues so I'll discount those for now.

It started fine on Thursday, the day before I posted the gumtree ad...Typical.

SUCCESS!!

I think the issue was poor connections, as it started up once I disconnected and cleaned the battery earth to the bulkhead, plus randomly sprayed the starter motor connections with WD40. I also gave the starter a whack for good measure. Should have done all that to start with really!

I'll have another go tomorrow just to make sure it works again, but atleast I can now move the fugger. The recent cold weather may have exposed the crapness of the battery so will buy a new one I think. 30 quid plus free delivery from batterymegastore.co.uk seems a bargain. I'll get a new one for the Metro whilst I'm at it.