MOTORING CHAOS! etc.

Just predicting what the Daily Mail headlines will be, they seem to make a big deal about this sort of thing, also "snow claims £268M of YOUR benefits" and "they should send it all back".

The main reason I post this is that amongst the smashed-up cars I saw on the way to work today was a Fiat Tempra Weekend with a badly caved-in front wing and smashed quarterlight.

Posted Image

Shame as I've been admiring it on the way to/from work for about a year now, it parks on the street on a busy road. I reckon someone has done a big slide and crashed straight into it. Doubt it'll get the money spent on it to keep it being pressed into use, so that's probably the end for it. Have to wonder how many shitey vehicles will come off the road permanently now just on the basis of needing a panel.

Also there was an Astra Coupe which had slid up a banking and into a telegraph pole, but I doubt anyone here will be that bothered about that one, other than the fact it was styled by Bertone - stylist of the marvellous Daewoo Espero and its stunning pillarless-esque looks.

Ah, snow. It filled me with delight* to witness last night an advert for GMTV saying how they would be REPORTING ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW IN THE COMING WEATHER MAYHEM. *When I say delight, I of course mean unbridled vitriol and another incidence of shoes being thrown at the telly. What a complete bunch of shits. Of course here there is no WEATHER MAYHEM, other than it being a bit damp.

Ah, snow. It filled me with delight* to witness last night an advert for GMTV saying how they would be REPORTING ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW IN THE COMING WEATHER MAYHEM. *When I say delight, I of course mean unbridled vitriol and another incidence of shoes being thrown at the telly. What a complete bunch of shits. Of course here there is no WEATHER MAYHEM, other than it being a bit damp.

Don't watch ITV then!

Not even a sniff of snow here despite the severe weather warning last night saying fife should expect up to 20cm. It didnt even rain.It appears the selfish buggers in Yorkshire have nicked all the snow again..for some reason they seem to have had a lot more of it than anyone else these last few years.Gutted.

It was frozen here yesterday morning,but as I'm still laid off work didn't have to get up until later.Got a call about some agency work for today,8.00 start so not too bad.Got up about 7.15 this morning,a bit warmer than it has been but pouring with rain.Went out to the car,it wouldn't start as the battery was flat :x .Really couldn't be bothered to start changing batteries etc,so I phoned in sick & went back to bed.I've just finished watching Thunderbirds,so I'm going outside to investigate :?

LOLOLOLOLOL. I was up in Bradford on Monday night for a Tuesday morning meeting there, and opened my hotel room curtains on Tuesday morn to find a fresh blanket of snow. My excitement then turned to disappointment as I knew the trip from Headingley to Bradford proper would be a mare, and it was. Do people just not realise that snow on the roads = slow down, and don't make any sudden steering/accelerator/brake movements? Twonks. Funny to see all the estate agents slithering backwards on gentle uphill slopes in their 318 coupes with 20" RIMZ though.Thankfully it seemed that other than a small covering around Derby that was it, so the trip back down the M1 was uneventful, other than my car now looking like it's been smeared in treacle due to the slush + grit residue.Entertainingly I spent the day down at our fleet management company yesterday and they said 9 of our drivers had gone off the road on Monday with the result being undrivable vehicles - all in Bradford or Leeds :roll:

Do people just not realise that snow on the roads = slow down, and don't make any sudden steering/accelerator/brake movements? Twonks.

Very surprisingly, the bulk of drivers kept to a steady 20mph on the slush this morning, however I am going to single out one car for criticism: a panic-stricken woman in a new MX5 who was locking up her brakes with increasing harshness. "Hmm I'm not slowing down very quickly on this incredibly icy surface, maybe if I brake much harder next time, that'll work!"

I assume it's the proliferation of scrotum airbags, ESP, LSD, AC/DC, UB40 and built-in Derek Acorah in moderns that make their pilots think they are invincible regardless of the weather conditions. For sure, all the electronic aids in the world will not allow you to cheat the laws of physics.Driving in my elderly Pug, at approximately half the weight of the average modern and without airbag, ABS or traction control (but still it has everything I need - good heater, comfy seats, wireless that picks up Radio 2) I drove in an accordingly careful manner, as I was concerned about being run over by a locked-up midget bint in a Touraeg or somesuch. Should really have dropped my tyre pressures a bit from the 38PSI I usually roll for max economy (53.5MPG this trip) but we survived with nary a bowel-clenching moment.

This was the scene here at just before 6:30am- doesn't look like it's actually snowing due to the 1sec plus exposure time

Posted Image

However, with the aid of the flashgun, it looks like this.

Posted Image

Made driving to work VERY interesting!! But, all gone within about an hour- so much for the forecast 5hrs of blizzards and hysterical panic-mongering of the news reports!!

We had snow, but quite slushy. I think I lost traction once, for half a second, trying to move off from a standstill uphill. It was hardly WEATHER CHAOS FOR MILLIONS OF MOTORISTS really but then it only takes one phone call from Doris (86) of Derby, saying she couldn't drive to bingo in her Nissan Note for it to be CHAOS.

Nothing to report in the deep south, not even all that much rain to be honest. Today wasn't even particularly cold. Yesterday was the worst it has got with a dusting of ice to scrape off the car glass both in the morning before setting off for work & in the late afternoon at work before setting off for home again. I hate scraping the car! :roll:

. I hate scraping the car! :roll:

Don't scrape, squirt!

Milkbottle full of warm (NOT hot/boiling) water, quick wazz over with some squirty spray, heater on, off you go.

Lately I've taken to just driving around with my head stuck out of the window whilst it clears off.

Posted Image

Britain, today

Posted Image

Meh, big fuss over nothing! We were promised a decent dump of snow which didn't materialise.

I quite enjoy driving in the snow, it's a bit of a challenge to be so gentle with the brakes, steering and throttle and get the balance just right.

The picture on this BBC News story sums it up really.

I've been known to do a variant of the head out of the window thing. My first car was a Chrysler Sunbeam and consequently the windows didn't open and it wasn't unknown for me to lean out of the door if I was in a hurry and the screen was iced up.