Extinction predictions

Bren

In contrast to the cars you don't see anymore threads, which ones will go out with a bang/whimper /fart and disappear completely?

I think anything modern with a diesel engine will suffer, emission standards will be raised in the future, coupled with high repair prices, mean certain models with diesel engines will be permanently consigned to the history books.

I think vec C and mondeo diesels may be in that category - can you think of anything else?

Peugeot 405.

The last ones are used up as chore whores and they will be gone before anyone regognises them as end of an era classics.

Anyway, "extinct" needs a definition. I don't believe any mass produced car is truly extinct.

For example, who would have thought, that a few of the initial Hyundai Ponies survived, and are now cherished?

Hmmmmm. Good question. Begs the question what will future 'shiters be tinkering with in 20 years time.

IMHO it will still be much the same as it is now. Although the cars from the 1970's through to the 1990's will be scarce.

Can't imagine a barn find 2014 Vauxhall Insignia or similar being desirable in 2034. Possible though I suppose.

Peugeot 405.

The last ones are used up as chore whores and they will be gone before anyone regognises them as end of an era classics.

Anyway, "extinct" needs a definition. I don't believe any mass produced car is truly extinct.

For example, who would have thought, that a few of the initial Hyundai Ponies survived, and are now cherished?

Not while you and me are still around.

Pug 307/8 and most of their mates incl Citroen stablemates,  Megane with the kardishan arse and most other Renners.

Anything with keyless go or an electric parking brake and no suitable retrofit alternatives, so Avensis, Passat Insignia Mundano.

Anything with an automated manual, DSG or other shit gearbox, unless a manual can be retrofitted.

Modern Diesels will be the first scrapped, and that in popular makes is the majority now.

Quite how anyone's going to get a crusty wreck with 19 ECU's going after its been stood in a barn for ten years i haven't a bloody clue, job to get some of the buggers going again if the battery goes flat, the more complicated the more likely to be weighed.

Maybe we'll all be importing Japanese greys in a few years and spend weeks filling the undersides with quality rustproofers and service them religiously till we're blue in the face, knowing full well they might well be the last cars on the planet that are worth fixing..

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Xsara Picasso.

I'll put money on me forgetting to buy one before its too late.

There will be at least one decent one left, i look after mrs fp's grandads 52 plate it's a 1.6 pez in that light blue for extra misery it only has the lower end of 30 odd thousand miles, i talked him out of getting rid for a bini a couple of years back

Most new diesels will only have a realistic life expectancy of ten to twelve years I'd think. At that age, once a big repair bill arrives they'd be lucky to avoid the bridge.

Most cars should have the odd survivor, only those aren't particularly desirable now and sell in tiny numbers could become completely extinct.

anything that's in the £490 tax band will just disappear when the value gets below £1k

That or we'll see a lot more cars with dubious identities. I for one have never checked the vin number against the logbook on anything I've bought in the last 10 years,presumably for MOT a bit of tin with the right number stamped on it and slid down in front of the old visible vin would do.

While the french will doubtless keep the Renault Safrane alive... in the UK there were about 1,000 left three years ago now down to 337 thats over 200 being scrapped a year or over 20% so at this rate there will be none left in two years time.....  It would be interesting to know which cars are being bridged in the highest percentages though.