Junkman in French Farina Frenzy - Caution: Peugeot 405 content

Junkman

So (<- this is how we germanophoniacs traditionally start a story). It's 3am and I'm home from an odyssey that started at 11am yesterday.

The ones among you, who follow the Ebay thread, might have noticed, that I uncovered the arguably last remaining Peugeot 405 GTX in two-litre giffer flavour.
Well, a deal was struck on Thursday, and a collection was agreed on for this Saturday.

The journey was undertaken unusually railway-free, courtesy of Mr Conelrad and his ex-Junkman Mitsubishite.
It took us disconcertingly far south of Bramhall, and beamed us through a wormhole back to the 19th century, and into a fairytale land called "Surrey".
Some people were met, money was given, and said car and paperwork received.

Obligatory petrol station photo:

002.jpg

Soon we re-entered the 20th century, courtesy of the M25, which was now travelled anti-clockwise, through the Dartford Crossing,
one of the last bulwarks of genuinely medieval highway robbery.

Our journey then took us to Peterborough, residence of a certain man with a knob van, with whom we enjoyed a wonderful dinner in a wonderful pub.
We continued northbound towards Leeds, then did a left turn near Lofthouse, and followed the M62 towards Manchester, where we eventually
re-entered the 21st Century.

On the entire journey, neither car put as much as a foot wrong.
Which was kind of boring.

So what have we got here?

A 1994 Peugeot 405 GTX 2.0 Automatic with all mod cons that come with the GTX package.
There is even a piece of oak glued to the glovebox, the French concept of building a Rolls Royce competitor.
It has a new exhaust exorst and fresh rear tyres, as well as a cambelt that is a mere 3,500 miles old.
The car drives absolutely faultlessly, in fact, it is the best driving example I have owned so far.
The interior and the boot look and smell new.
The 90stastic radio perfectly plays Radio 2, including the national anthem at 1am.
The only thing I can really fault it on, is a fuel gauge showing about 1/3rd full irrespectively of the actual fuel level.

Still think the 405 shape looks fresh, there's one that visits house in my road and I'm always impressed with it. Prefer it's angles (as per my 205) to the curves of the old 406 daily hack I run. Always a good drive, there were loads of them at the company I worked for in the 90's, were very reliable on the whole and popular too with their owners. Don't see many about now, esp the estates that were mostly worked to death.

Hope yours is a continuing success.

You swine.  I phoned up about that last week and was told it had been sold; I was surprised as I thought I was the only one who bought them.  I should have know it was you (told you you'd want another after selling the estate).

Every time I drive my GTX auto saloon I am more convinced I will never find a car that is nicer to drive, even ditched the 406 V6 coupe as I didn't like it as much.  Have just had new discs and pads (genuine Peugeot pads - £15 off ebay) fitted and the brakes are wonderful again.

Yours is Saxon blue, one of my favourite colours.  And please don't tell me it was one of the GTXs with cruise control fitted as I'll be badgering you to sell it to me forever.

Img_2569a.jpg