Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

Less than 12 hours into the year and I did a learn about a car I'd never heard of. This isn't a Triumph Renown. I said it was and the owner corrected me.

post-5267-0-16305400-1514816272_thumb.jpg

It's actually a Triumph 1800 Town & Country Saloon, the Renown's predecessor that might look the same but is very different underneath. Hands up who thought the Renown was the first post-war Triumph? You're all wrong.

I once suffered badly bruised nuts trying to bump one of these off. I also caught my knackers on the edge of my GS van's seat when jumping aboard after attempting a solo push start.

What happened to the 'double entendres' thread?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this thing a few times in West London. Didn't know it was electric, didn't know it was Chinese. Seems to be the first-ever Chinese car to get over here, and in right-hand-drive.

Theres one of them in east London which never seems to move, having just checked, it had a grand total of 143 miles at its last MOT, which ran out in Oct 2015, but somehow it still has tax till December 2018 (how the hell does that happen?).

post-3844-0-92504900-1515667495_thumb.jpg

25 years ago i saw a renault 5 with a boot ..is that recently ? Called a renno 7

800px-Renault_7_Siena_1976.jpg

I really dunno why they dont do this to todays supermini 's , wouldn't weigh much more and so much more room for shite

I have one of these and not a bad little car unusual only problem is its red and fades to quick

Theres one of them in east London which never seems to move, having just checked, it had a grand total of 143 miles at its last MOT, which ran out in Oct 2015, but somehow it still has tax till December 2018 (how the hell does that happen?).

Tax on direct debit is my guess.

That's a MK1 NCF Diamond..  They were cortina based and a bit shite.  The MK2 and MK3 were both MK2 granada based.  Mk2 used a flat windscreen, MK3 used the Granada screen and looked a lot better for it.

I, in my infinite idiocy, bought an NCF Diamond kit in about 1996.  I had it specially made as the MK3 front body, but with the MK2 back as it was about 6" longer, and I thought the length would be useful.  Never got any further than shoving some subframes under it and making it roll on teeny-tiny granada wheels, which looked stupid.  I also modified the bonnet to have vauxhaul pantograph hinges, allowing it to be hinged at the bulkhead, rather than at the slam panel.

I then promptly sold it on eBay about 15 years later, having done very little with it.  I lost a metric fucktonne of cash on that vehicle.  Had I known then what I know now, I would never have bought it, but I was young, foolish and had a rather excessive belief in my own abilities.  I *now* have the skills that would allow me to complete a kit car.  I didn't at the time, but I didn't know that either.

post-3568-0-83604400-1515784820_thumb.jpg

This is a standard MK3.  Red isn't a great colour for it, but you can clearly see the MK2 Granada headlams, indicators and windscreen.

... and the front and rear subframes hanging out under the car.  I'm fairly sure that unless you'd gotten quite handy with modifying the chassis to accept real 4X4 running gear, it would be hopless off road.  I'd still have one though.  The road presence when driving their demonstrator was brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

This is more a spec of car I never knew you could still get...

Chevy Silverado - Regular Cab, Short box. 

post-19988-0-96054000-1516574310_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of the old C10's and such!

One of my friends who now lives in rural Oregon works at a GM dealership, and he said he's never seen in the metal, and none at the dealership has ordered or sold one! And i can confirm this spec can still be bought, having checked just now!

I can't help but love it in this spec! 

This is more a spec of car I never knew you could still get...

Chevy Silverado - Regular Cab, Short box. 

attachicon.gif14951743817.jpg

Reminds me of the old C10's and such!

One of my friends who now lives in rural Oregon works at a GM dealership, and he said he's never seen in the metal, and none at the dealership has ordered or sold one! And i can confirm this spec can still be bought, having checked just now!

I can't help but love it in this spec! 

That reminds me of the Kangoo Compact.

Behold, the baby van.

renault_kangoo_compact_4634.jpg