1990 Mazda 626 - save or shun?

sallan91

Hello everyone,
Tomorrow (friday), an elderly gentleman is coming into my work to trade in his beloved Mazda 626 which he has owned for nearly 24 years. According to the salesman its led a fairly pampered life, it's only got 40something thousand miles, full service history, has just had the radiator and clutch replaced at a cost of £500, been kept garaged and still has its original stickers and plates from a long-since-demolished Mazda dealer in Edinburgh (Edina Mazda, Meadowbank). MOT is only til November but hopefully it won't need much if anything. I'm going to give it a thorough check tomorrow.

Like, the majority of trade-ins over 5 years old, my work plan on sending it to auction, however, I fear it may not generate much interest at auction and will instead just be scrapped (sadly it seems to happen to a lot of old cars that have been sent to auction).
I don't want this to happen, especially with it being so rare and in such good condition. Staff at my work are allowed to buy one trade-in per year so I want to buy it in order to save it but unfortunately I can't afford to keep it so I am posting on here to see if anyone would be interested in buying it from me, the car is located in Edinburgh and buyer would need to collect.

PM me if interested, thanks.

Pics of it on my Flickr page -  https://www.flickr.com/photos/98660088@N03/15544258375/     https://www.flickr.com/photos/98660088@N03/15358247117/

Why don't you get someone to buy it then sell it to you a few weeks later?

I reckon it should generate some interest on here, assume this is the one?

15358247117_55f2d0620c_s.jpgH174MSX 1990 Mazda 626 LX by sallanfiesta91, on Flickr

Ps: Love the Nova!

Save.

Obviously!  It's 24 years old, who with the slightest passing interest in cars would do anything but?  Beats the pants off the grey blobs that will be 99% of all the other trade-ins, and it'll be a fraction of the price.  Win-win.

From the pictures there's a Hyundai dealer in the background, so assuming it's photographed in Edinburgh it surely has to be...

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/dealer/macklin-edinburgh-east

...maybe they have some sort of 'policy' where they take your keys as above to try and talk you into a deal? 

Be wary guys...didn't we have this kind of post with that Jag I wanted? Leaves pictures "will be scrapped next week" kind of stuff, and doesn't get back to anyone, possibly trying to rip somebody off.

If that is not the case and the OP has simply forgotten about this post/can't get online/has a life, then I will say sorry and eat my words.

Hi folks, my manager said I could buy it for £500 (they charge trade in price + £100 'admin fee'), it would have been lower but the customer haggled on the trade in price (he apparently wanted £1500! lol). If I'm buying it I need to do so by tomorrow morning otherwise it will be sent to auction. I had a quick look at it the other day, the main issue I can see with it is a bit of rust round the rear arches and the bottom of the front wings (not bad at all for its age) and possibly rusty front suspension parts (it got an advisory on this last year), nothing that can't be fixed though.

Would anybody be interested in buying for £500? I'm not bothered about making any money on it, I just obviously don't want to lose any.