Pretty decent 1974 DAF 33 – 20mph drift cool – £500

Sam Glover

My ongoing automotive purge has reached the DAF 33. 

I fear that it has a long period of festering ahead of it – so I might as well move it on to a better owner and simply buy a really good one when I (inevitably) feel the need for air-cooled Variomatic motoring in the future.

It's rough round the edges, but solid. It's mechanically decent and in a good state of fettle. I've fitted a complete new exhaust and spent quite a long time touching, bothering and finessing it mechanically.

It's not MoT'd – but it ought to sail though. I got it MoT-ready about a year ago, then never bothered. I've taken it for spins – sometime literally – around the airfield from time-to-time to keep it limber.

Problems: the drive-belts could do with replacing and there's no heater. Changing and adjusting the belts is child's play, but they're about £120 a set.

I have the front bumper. 

It's an absolutely hoot to drive – really very nippy. There's no diff, so it's fully retro drift cool.

It's near Chippenham – SN14 6GU.

Daf331.jpg

Daf333.jpg

Daf334.jpg

Daf335.jpg

Daf336.jpg

Daf337.jpg

You'd love it V, the brakes can be a bit woeful as they are drums but that means you adjust your driving technique. Left foot braking is the way forward with these. They are comfy and fun to drive, not that woeful at all really. The boot is quite decent. Getting your wheels balanced is a challenge but some places can cope if they have the old tech stuff. You can get parts from my mates in Essex or from a chap called Danny in Holland. 

They are pretty well put together and the metal is of a reasonable gauge. They are just so easy to drive but you have to make sure you are at a standstill when changing from forwards to reverse otherwise there is lots of grinding noise and unhappiness. It's easy really. For such a small car they are spacious inside. It takes about 5 mins to move the seat backwards as they have to be unbolted. I could tell you loads. I'd have it too if I didn't have the Rover 75. Hmm, didn't have the Rover 75............

Sam's car is pretty tidy. 

That looks like a Bergina 44/46 to my tired eyes. Iz I correct?

Whats Beringa? Google says its unserviced ladybits? Am I missing something here?

Yeah, mine was a 44 (if you click on the thread there are more photos). Found the Variomatic odd at first but kind of miss it now. Would get another.

I appear to have bought a new car... Got so carried away on the test drive that Sam had to remind me that I was driving on the French side of the road!

Collection thread will be uneventful as its going to be on a trailer, but towed by the Avantime, so still plenty of things could go wrong.

The old lady who lived 2 doors down from my childhood home had a 33 in a disgusting ear wax colour.

That was about 1977 and I don't recall seeing one since.

"Auntie Gertie" has long since passed on and I don't doubt her Daf has too.

GLWTS etc.