Primera Good Car - Bad Car

VWPowered

I really want a prefacelift Primera at some point, has to be the saloon though. I bet the 2.0 SLX one is pretty amazing, there was one near my work about 2 years ago and I used to drool over it on a regular basis. I'm sure the SRi is a nice bit of kit, but the hatch does very little for me.

Still, here's a Youtube video of some sort of budget Japanese cop film which features a really basic looking Primera as some sort of unmarked squad car, features ramming and handbrake turns: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TVek6cewaZM

They aren't dull at all, they're cracking to drive. Very 'sporty' suspension setup, even on the base models so they handle very responsively. That SRi is a bit of a fake SRi, just a trim designation rather than anything special. Is it 1.6 or 2.0?Hirst, I think you will enjoy SLX luxury - the 1.6 SLX I had, it featured a more luxurious and brown-tinged upholstery than the LX. Oh, and extra driving lights.

2 litre Primera SRIR.H.D. UK plates, 113,000 miles, 1997. Very reliable, good runner, excellent bodywork, all electrics working. New brake discs and pads, new battery etc. Located at Jarnac, dept 16. Driven daily but 3 minor things needed, Two new tyres, handbrake sorting and clutch adjustment/replacement. Needs French CT. Will make excellent second car or potential profit. Almost giving it away at 250 euros as move imminent. Photos available.three days lateropen to offersthree days laterHi last chance to get a bargain , we leave next weekemaikled said was it possible for some pics , wouldnt be able to offer alot but would offer a ton just to take it away, she said that was fine...just need to decide whether its worth its beans as either a do'er seller on.. or readvertise it as a parts car for someone.. or break it.. thing is dont want to get stuck with it like i did the cabriolet...

I had a SGX 2.0 on an L plate IIRC, my second ever company car, It replaced a battered Sierra GLX, What a difference it was, loads of toys, ultra reliable, went like stink, only problem was that it was white, the same as Leeds Taxi's. Which meant stopping outside a pub, even at traffic lights into guaranteed drunken bint attack..

Not exciting image wise, but discreet and a very good machine.2.0 SRi Has the same suspension and body stiffening pack (strut brace and extra tunnel stay) as the GT so it handles like a go-kart, but with long gearing of the standard 2.0 making cruising economy pretty decent (37~40mpg).For P11 the suspension tuning was done by Dirk Schoysman (try his name in Google) under contract with Nissan. He also did the 350Z and the GT-R amongst others... A collegue of mine was driven round the Nurburgring by him in a Primera SRi (he was giving press demonstrations at the car's launch) and said it was fantastic.At this age, usual problems are rusty floors (esp rear sills, axle side), rust under the rear spoiler, knocking upper links, duff central door locking actuators and squeaky wiper spindles (add 3 in 1). Also (depending on drivers weight!) floor splits at the outer rear LH and RH seat mountings - check for severe creak not coming from the seat back frame itself.

Not exciting image wise, but discreet and a very good machine.2.0 SRi Has the same suspension and body stiffening pack (strut brace and extra tunnel stay) as the GT so it handles like a go-kart, but with long gearing of the standard 2.0 making cruising economy pretty decent (37~40mpg).

Is that true? I just thought it was a cynical marketing exercise.My mum has a boggo P11 1.6 and that handles well enough.

A bit dull but surprisingly competant. Good on fuel, very reliable, can go pretty well and will last forvere with basic maintainance(sp?). Apparant achilles heels are 5th gear throwing it's hand in but never had any problems with the ones I owned.

Not exciting image wise, but discreet and a very good machine.2.0 SRi Has the same suspension and body stiffening pack (strut brace and extra tunnel stay) as the GT so it handles like a go-kart, but with long gearing of the standard 2.0 making cruising economy pretty decent (37~40mpg).

Is that true? I just thought it was a cynical marketing exercise.My mum has a boggo P11 1.6 and that handles well enough.
Yes, completely true. The 1.6Si is a standard comfort set up though, just with the SRi cosmetic parts.Jumping out of 5th gear was a problem on early P10 2.0's which was solved. P11's no concern.