Lancia Y10 trusted Shiter loan or sale £600

philibusmo

Right you 'orrible lot.

As you may have gathered from the grump thread, I am to be heading off to Austrailia and the surrounding countries for a year or quite possibly longer which means a fleet reduction is in order.

I already have the Avantime for sale, have a buyer lined up for the Supra and will need to shortly find a new custodian for the Princess once I have got it through an MOT. This leaves the Lancia Y10 which I want to keep as it is one of my favourite things of ever, however I don't have anywhere to keep it for that length of time. So I am going to propose a trusted Shiters loan scheme.

The car:

You can see what this car has been through to get it through an MOT from this thread:

http://autoshite.com/topic/11079-lancia-y10-13-gtie-is-there-an-auto-electrician-in-the-house/

I slightly stopped updating it, but rest assured that the non-starting this was traced to a duff top dead centre sensor which was changed and everything was fine again. Since then it has been my daily driver for about 5 months, been flung around on a track day where it shredded all the tread from one of its tyres and has been a generally excellent, small and mental car.

It's the 1.3 GTIe and with about 70 something bhp, hardly any weight and a really revvy engine. It's very good on fuel if driven sensibly, but if not then it is possibly the most fun you can have on the public road.

It has just had a coolant flush and change, it has 4 good tyres (the front two are very nearly new) and had a full suspension rebuild about 6 months ago so shouldn't need any work for plenty of time to come. Almost everything on it works including the electric windows, central locking, heater and electronic engine check panel. The only things that have a problem is the rear wash due to some butchered wiring that I haven't been bothered to look into yet, the radio doesn't work because there isn't one and there is a light which flashes intermittently on the check panel which I believe is for brake pad wear, but the pads are new with plenty of life and no wear sensors connected so I have no idea why the light is on.

I will try and get the above three things fixed in the next couple of months, along with a cam-belt change and doing another oil change.

Thanks to the biblical amount of welding that I did on it, it is now very solid and has been covered in under body wax so isn't going to rust away again any time soon. However it does look scruffy, the drivers door is a different shade of red to the rest of it and has a small and shallow dent in the leading edge, as well as in the front wing where an oaf in an Aygo reversed into it on Thursday. The drivers side rear quarter is a little warped and the fuel filler neck is held in with two rusty bolts rather than the proper clips. The passenger side quarter has a section of mostly unsanded and unpainted filler at the back of the arch. I like this overall look, it is lovably scruffy and no-one expects it to be quick when it looks a bit rough, but if anyone fancies tarting it up cosmetically then be my guest, I even have new rear quarters for both sides sat here if you really want to fit them - but probably wont.

I will get a couple of up to date pictures tomorrow once it is light again, but those who were at Shitefest 2014 will have may even have given it a drive and know how fun it is.

The scheme:

Phil_lihp has expressed interest in being the first one to have this on loan, but the deal is that anyone who is a fairly regular Shiter can obtain loan of this car. You must have insurance on it and it will require an MOT in early May 2015 and tax at the end of October 2015. I can't see it needing anything for the MOT as it is very solid and so many of the usual things that fail an MOT have been replaced 6 months ago. Don't crash it or kill it.

The first thing to note is that you will have to pay a deposit of £120 to the last Shiter who had it, you will then get this back from the next shiter who takes it on. For example Phil_lihp would pay £120 to me to take it on, then the next shiter would pay £120 to him to use it. Eventually when I am back, I will pay £120 to who ever has it to have it back again.

Additionally, any repairs or maintenance that it requires while you have it is entirely up to you and out of your pocket. Given different circumstances, I would get it MOT'd and taxed and carry out repairs but I simply will not be available to do this. I cannot foresee it needing any work. As stated before, the tyres have plenty of life, the suspension is almost all new, the brakes are all new and the engine has now proven to be reliable, but it is a 25 year old car, so something might go wrong.

There is a large quantity of spares which will be at my parents house. I will leave anything particularly useful with the car, and anything that is unlikely to be needed will be left at my parents house so can be obtained with little effort if needed. I'll make a list of the spares shortly.

Right, so who's game for having the 80's Lancia experience without having to actually buy one? As stated it is now a proven reliable car, currently has 6 months MOT and will have a years tax. I guarantee that this car will entertain you any time that you have a clear road ahead.

It's a brill idea this and I hope it works. Can I humbly suggest a sort of 'inspection form' for prospective 'sellers' to use? I only say this because if (God forbid) someone less honest managed to knacker something up, they might 'forget' it happened and palm the problem on to the next user.

I would love to have a bash at this, but no room at the inn here.

No offence to anyone, but I think we have to be very careful with this sort of thing as this is the internets after all.

Agreed. I would very much prefer that this goes to only the more regular posters and 'known faces' on here, but I shall leave that up to the discretion of the Shiters who take it on as I think most of us have at least a modicum of common sense. If anyone does kill it then they shall not be collecting their £120 and we shall set the Scottish Volvo Massive on them. Then they'll be sorry.

I realise that there is a risk with this scheme, but realistically my only other choice is to sell it for about £250 and then never ever see it again and I don't want that as despite its low value, I really like this car and how much fun it is. I would much rather that other Autoshiters have fun with it in my absence then it just head off to some randomer and I never get the chance to drive it again.

If anyone needs convincing on how much fun this little car can be, here's a couple of videos of it being hurled around Castle Combe on cheap and skinny road tyres. Listen to them howl.

Edit: Apologies that the above videos appear to have been taken using a toaster by someone with parkinsons.

An extraordinary amount of work has gone in to this car, it's a credit to Phil's hard work and skills.  Taking care of it is quite a responsibility!

As it happens, I was talking to someone at work yesterday who lives on a farm and a decent dry barn has been provisionally been located so assuming it comes to live with me for a while, it won't be living outdoors near the sea at my house.  This will have the added bonus after a week or two of making it a genuine barn find and tripling its value overnight.  

Rest assured it would be thoroughly hooned on a regular basis.  It has been noted that I have not currently got enough hoon in my life.

Agreed. I would very much prefer that this goes to only the more regular posters and 'known faces' on here, but I shall leave that up to the discretion of the Shiters who take it on as I think most of us have at least a modicum of common sense. If anyone does kill it then they shall not be collecting their £120 and we shall set the Scottish Volvo Massive on them. Then they'll be sorry.

The SVM did adopt the White Hen as it looks like a baby 740 estate if you squint a bit. This scheme is therefore approved and endorsed by the SVM.

I'd love the idea of a general Autoshite loan scheme so I could appreciate lots of cars I don't want the hassle of buying. Realistically though it would be full of potential legal and moral pitfalls, and I have lent several things to seemingly trustworthy people only to never see them again

Excellent, looks like we have a plan coming together.

Phil, I'll PM you and we'll work out when it would be best for you to become the first to take loan of it, from there you can work out with the others who have expressed interest.

If everyone else is still up for taking it on for a couple of months at the time then I would suggest it going in this order:

Phil_lihp

Negative Creep

Red5

Barefoot

M'Coli

That should get it around the country in pretty swift order, and then I can go get it back when I'm back from who-ever has it in the end.

It's a brill idea this and I hope it works. Can I humbly suggest a sort of 'inspection form' for prospective 'sellers' to use? I only say this because if (God forbid) someone less honest managed to knacker something up, they might 'forget' it happened and palm the problem on to the next user.

post-17021-0-67897400-1414360093_thumb.png

Ha ha..... Christ! I fill them in all the time (especially when my previous was going bust and playing 'three shells' with van hire firms).

Can it be ''freely edited" to encompass fire damage, pikey hiab roof cleats and - OMGLG - a big QuestionMark for it going missing.

TS