Lancia Y10 trusted Shiter loan or sale £600

philibusmo

The way I see it is that you risk the car being dead or dying before you get it back. If you value it at £250, and the deposit is £120, you don't stand to loose much if the worst happens. I would suggest that you treat each loan as a purchase, but with a written undertaking that the person, who buys it next can not sell it for more than £120, and only to someone who has posted 608 times at least, or they must give you first refusal. Maintenance is an issue, but servicing in terms of oil, and filters, must be carried out prior to the next ownership change and every 6000 miles, but breakdowns, would be treated as a shitters 'day out' .

Damage inspection forms, photos of car before/after, incriminations, allegations, denials - surely easier for people to just own up. Isn't that the beauty of this and the only real way it will work - honesty and trust?

If regular forum people can't be honest about a ding or something worse on a £250 car, there's not much hope for this world! Surely the £120 is sufficient?

Phil, your PM has been replied to.

I might need to add a clause in that I will require your full name and address PM'd to me if you take on the Lancia, mostly for the possible event of a speeding ticket arriving on my doorstep and also so that if you sell it to the IRA or push it in the Manchester shipping canal for fun then I'll know whose door step to leave the flaming dog poo on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Right, time this was updated.

Phil kindly dropped the Y10 up to me once he'd got the timing issue fixed, that was a couple of weeks ago and I've been hooning it about since then and gradually warming to it.  Small, thrashy cars aren't usually my thing but I thought it would be fun to have something different to drive for a while and I'm quickly finding that each time I drive it I like it a bit more.

post-5492-0-22086200-1421527574_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-98037200-1421527618_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-47494800-1421527530_thumb.jpg

It's raised a few smiles from friends who've had lifts in it, it really is a quirky and slightly odd little car with strange proportions, funny noises from various places and knightrider-esque dashboard lights working with typical Italian accuracy and dependability.  So far, at one time or another, the bank of diagnostic lights on the dashboard have told me that the front and rear lights are out, the battery/alternator is dead and the oil pressure is low - none of which are actually true and all of which go away as quickly as they appear.  

It goes like stink with so little weight for the 1.3 injection engine to throw around and is extremely eager to get off the line; that combined with a lovely slick gearchange and sharp handling all make for entertaining scrabbly-tyred roundabout shenanigans and general hooliganism most unbecoming of someone who normally prefers wafting around in the armchair comfort of a Volvo 940.  It's quite addictive.

Moving on to today, I thought it was time to treat it to some TLC.  The weather wasn't up to a wash and polish so I turned my attention to the fast idle Phil had told me about when he dropped it off - when warmed up it sat at almost 1500RPM but from cold it ran quite rough and idled down at around 600RPM for a minute or so, gradually climbing as it warmed up.  I was finding it irksome in traffic and it randomly drops the revs to about 700RPM for a second or two every so often as well.  I also noticed that when pulling in to pick up a friend and sitting waiting with the engine running for a minute we could both smell that it seemed to be running quite rich with a smell of fuel quite evident.

Phil said it had always idled fast and wasn't bothering him, goodness knows it had enough more serious issues to keep him busy when it wasn't being driven, but now that it demanded nothing urgent I couldn't resist having a poke around.  

I couldn't find anything obviously wrong of course and Phil had set the timing only a few days before which ruled that out.  Then I had a flash of inspiration.

post-5492-0-97173900-1421527485_thumb.jpg

I saw that little screw sitting on top of what, without any diagrams to refer to, I took to be the throttle body.  I don't pretend to know a great deal about these things but I did know that a fast idle could be caused by an air leak from a split vacuum pipe - not relevant to this car but I wondered if the airflow was adjustable via this screw and if so, would that fix it?

After marking the screw's current position I started it up and turned the screw half a turn - and the revs dropped a fraction.  I turned it again and kept turning until it was screwed in all the way (just over 2 full turns).  It was now idling at around 1100RPM, much better but still not right so I looked again and noticed that the throttle to the right of the screw was stopped from fully returning by the closest of the two little screws fixed down with nuts.  I loosened the nut and wound the screw out slightly and instantly the revs dropped.  I adjusted it until it was idling quite slowly (about 400RPM and still smooth!) and then wound the air mix screw out slightly.  Balancing these two out enabled me to get it to idle nicely at around 900RPM which seems about right.

I'm quite chuffed, it now starts a little bit faster, almost instantly in fact, and idles very smoothly with no random drops.  I've taken it for a test drive and it's even nicer to drive now, less frantic and noisy off the line and smoother at low speeds but still lively and powerful.  I've noted how it was set up before so it can be returned to how it was if it needs to be, it isn't mine, after all, but I reckon it's a big improvement.

I then decided to try a little cosmetic modification I'd had in mind for a few days - something I never normally like to do.  Told you this car was changing me.  I'd picked up some yellow film and decided to have a go at the foglights with it.  One of them was smashed and had a hole in it so I thought if nothing else this would help keep it sealed up until I found something to replace the glass.

post-5492-0-23241300-1421527664_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-35241300-1421527710_thumb.jpg

I have to be honest, I really love the look.  It's probably not to everyone's taste and it's totally reversible if Phil or one of its next adopters doesn't approve, the film just peels off, but I really like it.

Next step, a through polish and wax to try and fend off the salt from the roads and the sea air, I don't want to hand it on to the next home in a jiffy bag.

Nice work! It's amazing how many fuel injection faults can be easily remedied. I remember with my CX is seemed to run rich and not that smoothly. Turns out there was a split in the intake pipe, and someone had just wound the mixture screw out to compensate. Ran very sweetly once I sorted that out for minimum hassle.

I quite like the FOG LIGHT WANKER mod. They look nice even when they're not on.

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, at some point in the next month or so this one will need to move along to its next adopter as I'm seriously over-carred (yes, it's a word.  Because I said so) right now.  Early warning so there's ample time to get organised if you want in.

It's still raising a smile every time I drive it and I'm still intending to get some time to give it a thorough polishing session to tidy it up (plus top up the gearbox oil/adjust the clutch cable as it's graunching in 1st, 3rd and occasionally 5th) and also I need to wire up the radio but other than that it's all good and hasn't put a foot wrong.  The endlessly entertaining bank of dash lights has even behaved perfectly since my last report.

A rough order was, back on page 2, 

Negative Creep
Red5
Barefoot
M'Coli

All that's needed is a £120 deposit to replace the one I gave Phil, provide him with your address details and get it insured.  What's the general opinion?  Would you still like it next Mr Creep?  

I can find it an alternative home for a while if no-one's keen but obviously shiters get first refusal.  I might also be able to re-home it temporarily later on in the year if it finds itself between people for a short period but no promises.

Top work on the idle issues Phil,  stuff like that makes me want to run away and hide.

I really fancy joining the list for a month of Italian passion and I could probably hide one of the current fleet elseware for about that long before anyone noticed.  My first car was a Fiat Tipo and it had a certain something that none of the English/French/German/Jap cars I've had since have matched.

Right then, at some point in the next month or so this one will need to move along to its next adopter as I'm seriously over-carred (yes, it's a word.  Because I said so) right now.  Early warning so there's ample time to get organised if you want in.

It's still raising a smile every time I drive it and I'm still intending to get some time to give it a thorough polishing session to tidy it up (plus top up the gearbox oil/adjust the clutch cable as it's graunching in 1st, 3rd and occasionally 5th) and also I need to wire up the radio but other than that it's all good and hasn't put a foot wrong.  The endlessly entertaining bank of dash lights has even behaved perfectly since my last report.

A rough order was, back on page 2, 

Negative Creep
Red5
Barefoot
M'Coli

All that's needed is a £120 deposit to replace the one I gave Phil, provide him with your address details and get it insured.  What's the general opinion?  Would you still like it next Mr Creep?  

I can find it an alternative home for a while if no-one's keen but obviously shiters get first refusal.  I might also be able to re-home it temporarily later on in the year if it finds itself between people for a short period but no promises.

I'm still up for it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Y10 has been deposited with Mr Creep and as he kindly transported me back to the station I'm now on the train home. The car behaved faultlessly the whole way without so much as a random warning light, plus I got to stop in and see brookjm on the way down and check how he's looking after the 220 (very well, it turns out).