Here she is--driven all the way from Edinburgh

RENOMAD

Well I finally found a companion for my 15 --I have been looking for a sound 17 for 4 years and here it is.A 1973 17TL Auto. The showroom where I work flatters is somewhat,but it is sound with very little rust,and just a few bits to sort incl exhaust and possible radiator/headgasket leak,,but all part of the hobby.

The colour is actually Blue Fonce(460)which was only used for the 17 during 1973 and not black as its looks in the picture.

(Anybody got exhaust/rad/headgasket bits?)

Cheers

John

Posted Image

The guy that I bought it from is restoring another gold 17 for himself. This car appeared on ebay about 2 years ago. It had been off the road for about 12 years so he bought it as a proposed parts car for his own restoration only to discover that it was better than his own car. His dilema was then should he abandon his own restoration in favour of finishing this one,or continue with his own car. He contacted me last April after one of my many Wanted posts on various sites telling me his dilema. I offered to buy this car,but after seeing pictures I knew It was basically a sound car,but it had rust in the front wings and needed recomissioning,and it was a 35 yr old Renault automatic that had not been on the road for 12 years.I walked away. He said that that was not a problem as he would probably get it on the road anyway. Then for some ownknow reason about 6 weeks ago,I came across his number again and decided to give him a ring. As it turned out he had just sent the car to a local garage to be recomissioned and MOT'D and also have some work done on the wings. I offered to buy the car on satisfactory completion of the work. Bar the front wings,which I had redone after I got it home,the car seems totally original. It has had some welding done on the outer sills under the rear windows,which I am going to tidy up a bit. It drives very well, but I need to sort the exhaust which is blowing a bit(think I need a back box). Also I have a coolant leak somewhere.It is loosing some--The inside of the rad looks wet,but it is alsobubbling a small bit in the jar.Of course these engines are know for headgaskets,but its not getting hot so I think that a can of wonderweld will be used for the time being :roll: Some of the interior switches are incorrect but I have located some from a guy in the USA who does Renault parts he trades under the name of Renault Source.He is expensive though.