Citroen XM - was JohnK's steed

dollywobbler

Having owned many vehicles this year that I really had no intention to buy - just amusing swaps and chance purchases - it's time for a change. The two vehicles competing for my attention are the delicious Rover 600 and the quirktastic Citroen XM.

I had hoped to line up a deal on an XM but it is not to be. The Rover 400 heads to its new home on Wednesday. I have a deadline. I get some overdue funds on Tuesday, but apparently I can't spend all of this on cars. There's the small matter of bills we've been ignoring for the past few months...

So, £450 or possibly £500 is the limit. Rovers are looking better for my budget. Check this out.

$_57.JPG

£250, in Colchester, a few weeks of MOT. 

Nice spec, perfect age (ie classic insurance) and the holy grail of 600 colours for me - Nightfire Red. Gorgeous. It's a contender for sure.

Representing Citroen, we have this XM turbo diesel in sought after VSX trim.

$_57.JPG

£300 on Ebay, with an asking price seen elsewhere of £550. (I was already on it thanks Mr Shitpeas ;) )

But, it's the 2.5 Turbo Diesel. It has TWO radiators. One of them is leaking. That's normal. They have a pretty crap reputation too - 40mpg is a major achievement and there's tons of utterly bespoke parts that can't be found for love nor money. If even XM fans are wary of them, I should probably stay away. A great engine - when it works. EDIT - it sold for £800!

I'm heading to bed now as a morning of actual work lies ahead of me. Prace bets now to see what I'll actually end up with! Probably a Datsun Sunny van or something...

In all honesty, I think an XM would be a foolish car for you to own and I don't think you'd get the most out of it given the complaints you've levelled against big cars in the past.  The 600 is a better fit, is a car you've wanted for a long time and is incredibly easy to obtain within budget.  I reckon the 600 will meet your needs far better than the XM can and while it might not be quirktastic you do have the 2CV for that side of things.

Speaking of, if you get a 600 chances are you'll save money that needs to be put into Elly's long-term prospects one way or another.  An XM will not allow this to happen, because a sub-£500 XM is just going to be a money pit.

Finally, in its favour is the fact that the 600 is an easier sell than the XM, even if it is a bit borked.  It might be the safe bet but sometimes those are the bets we need to take.

So obviously you'll end up with an XM.

Shame about the XM, DW. I'm sure I could have found it a home after you finished with it too! I think at £400 a 600 would be a better move, I'm sure you should be able to get a cracker for that.

But knowing your past randomness in purchasing I wouldn't be that surprised in anything gracing wobbler towers soon. You could always buy a BX. I've heard from someone once that they're really rather good...

I don't know if this matters to you, Dollywobbler, but one of the most significant things I found about living with a 600 was the abysmal ground clearance. Speed bumps were problematic, and the rough country roads where I was living at the time bashed the exhaust and undercarriage well out of shape.

I don't know if this matters to you, Dollywobbler, but one of the most significant things I found about living with a 600 was the abysmal ground clearance. Speed bumps were problematic, and the rough country roads where I was living at the time bashed the exhaust and undercarriage well out of shape.

THAT is a valid concern. I like long-travel suspension. The 600 was always compromised by being a Honda. Hmmm.

Rover - 623 gsi if you can find one - 156 bhp.

I love xm's but most are just one big bill from the bridge.

Just try and find a 600 with rear arches - the later ones are much better.

I had a povo 620i - even the rear seats did not come down.

Good point. I learnt my lesson and now only buy Rovers that have Rover engines in them, both mine are GR9.

Nowt wrong with either type of Honda engine and I'd rather have a 216 over a 214 any day of the week, each to their own I suppose.

I've never driven a non Vtec F series so I can't comment on how they go, But I'd imagine you still have to rev them to get the most out of them, still way more reliable in comparison to the XM

This 623i for £295 is still on Autotrader copied from your rover sale thread

Just going to quietly add this to the thread and then walk away.

623i Auto, 12months ticket, Velour seats and plastic Rover trims. Shite heaven for £275.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201410027883521/sort/locasc/make/rover/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/radius/1500/model/600/postcode/nn84sa/usedcars?logcode=p

media_zps01e974e5.jpg

Buy neither. You'd be bored with a 600 in the same way you were with the other Honda, and a sub-£500 XM would most likely stop working/bankrupt you. Why not buy something simple and tough, like the 2cv you love so much?  Perhaps a Saab 95/6? I've a feeling it would be right up your street - there are a few which seem to have gone for under a grand on ebay.

Of course, you could always sort out the 2cv or use it for spares (I'd sell it meself) and buy an older one, made from better metal. I know of quite a few Dyanes and 2cvs with more miles on than your many-times-rebuilt red and white Dolly, which have had just a clutch, tyres, brakes and exhausts. Original chassis (which are superb, compared with galv ones), original engine, original gearbox. Perhaps the odd sill or floor, not much else.

By the way, there are loads of spares out there for 2.5 XMs, I know of fields-full of scrappers which are being kept just for spares. Also, the BMW i3 doesn't have a flat-twin engine like a 2cv (I read your blog :shock: ). Hybrids make a lot of sense, too. They don't all have to be like a Prius, they don't all have to use electricity - batteries are very inefficient for storing braking energy.