E36 BMW. Any opinions.

Futuramic

Futuramic has landed a proper and responsible job. It had to happen, but for how long is unknown.However, from a shite perspective I needs me a new motah. Diesel is the obvious choice as I have been plonked into the middle of commuter hell on the Essex mother road, or the A12 as it is better known. Therefore economy matters.So does the performance, comfort and pimptasticness of the aforementioned car proposal. It also has to cost less than £1000 and be a bit shite.Therefore I have been looking in the Trader and have discovered seemingly a machine to fit all these criteria. She is a 1995 BMW 325 TD SE with 140,000 on the clock and a bit of tax and test. Manual, naturally.I have no experience of diesels, or indeed BMWs, so I have been wondering if anybody has any information they wish to share.I can put up with the snide comments and not being let out of junctions.

In a word, overated.I've seen some seriously rusty ones, i've seen ones where the rear axle mounts have pulled out of the floor, I've seen some modified ones that I'd be embaressed to scrap.I never thought they were all that great to drive either. Maybe I was expecting too much.I'm currently very impressed with my shite tastic 405 TD, plus I dont look a prick because I drive it.For other reasons of course....

Good cars, though not wonderfully economical for a diesel. If it starts promptly from cold, and runs smoothly straight away, it's probably fine. If not, a world of pain and expence is involved! They do have a vague tendancy for cracked heads if they've been "chipped", if it's not been buggered about with, it's probably fine. Usual checks for overheating etc.To sum up, great engines, with the above caveats, the rest of the car is pretty trouble free, although, if it's got them [tourers had two] check the sunroof work.As above post suggests, check for tinworm, although I've had three, and they've been fine. Your budget should get you a pretty reasonable one

An excellent choice sir! I can tell you through experience the BMW straight 6 diesel is extremely good as I picked up a '95 325 TD for my good lady about two and a half years ago and it's been 100% reliable, and is a good drive like all BMW's, and its so quiet on the move it's easy to forget it's an oil belcher! In fact, I prefer driving it to my company '57 plate Avensizzzz :lol: The 325 TD has 115 BHP on tap, I believe the TDS has an even more useful 143 BHP, and with it being an SE spec model will have all the trimmings, and it's a manual! Just take it for a nice long test drive to ensure there are no signs of overheating, these engines don't seem to suffer any commom woes, no nasty cambelt to worry about either. Check the rear wheel arches, this seems to be the only place these cars can rust.Happy hunting!

Hot starting issues mean the fuel pump is probably on the way out - according to a fella I know who has much experience of this basic lump in Omegas.I do wonder if the Mondeo, sympathetically driven, will not get similar MPG though - plus the cost of petrol per litre being so much cheaper as well...

Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit rust rust rust rust rust rust brake pipes, balljoints, bushes, fuel pumps, electronics, radiators are bloody expensive, shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit, trim is hideously expensive, buy a Astra Td Isuzu engined jobbie. I miss my last one.

Guest greenvanman

I can put up with the snide comments and not being let out of junctions.

Of course, but why should you have to? For that sort of money you can lay your hands on any number of much newer motors that will be cheaper to run & fix than some horrible old Beemer. I can't think of one good reason to own the car you describe - unless it was free of course :)

Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit rust rust rust rust rust rust brake pipes, balljoints, bushes, fuel pumps, electronics, radiators are bloody expensive, shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit, trim is hideously expensive, buy a Astra Td Isuzu engined jobbie. I miss my last one.

They have a weak lift pump in the tank, an ECU and fly-by-wire throttle don't they?Fully mechanical diesels FTW

Ive a petrol e36, good cars. Ignore these people parping on about rust, rust is only an issue in certain places on poorly looked after examples. Mines a 95 328 and its spotless with nearly 120k on it. Still runs sweet as a nut, and still feels nice and tight. Despite what people are saying, they are also a good drive, the steering is sharp, the ride quality is good, and its not too tail happy unless provoked. At the end of the day its a real car, front engined rear drive.Its no dearer to service than Fords ive owned, yes main dealer prices for parts are a little steep, but not as eye wateringly expensive as ud think, but you can get most bits from GSF and ECP anyway at a fraction of the cost. I do all my own servicing on it, the oil is easier to change in the BMW than it was in the last Zetec engined ford i owned. There not in anyway shape or form scary to work on at all. They do have common faults, balljoints, bushes, rear brake lines rust aswell these are a pain due to running over the tank.With reference to comments made about rear axles pulling from the floor, this is correct, however, it only applys to early 325i's, anything post L reg will be fine as revisions were made to the floorpan.Ive owned it a number of years its 100% reliable so im in a good place to comment on them, its not the first ive owned either. As long as you get a good one, you'l be happy.

mer :D s class... damn no diesel...

There was an S400 diesel about 8 years ago . Rare as hen's teeth, though, very limited production run IIRC, poss only left-hooker.
Never an S400 diesel, butw116 300 TDw126 and w140 were available as 300 and 350 TDKnown for their unreliability - think you are right in them all being LHD - turbo gets in the way of the steering box...

Don't get me wrong, I think BMWs are cracking, but I just wonder if an E36 325TD is the best choice when factored in to the "£1,000 & diesel" equation. That said, the 6-cylinder TD has the best diesel engine note I've ever heard, when wound up. And if the car in question is in top condition and has been well-looked after, it should certainly be reliable and hold it's value well. I'd certainly avoid the 318TDS, but do wonder if an E36 for a grand is the best solution whether a tidy little 318iSE Touring on an M or N plate might hit the spot better.

In my experience 4 pot BMW's arnet up to much! Underpowered, harsh, and noisy. The diesel 6 pots are ok, and will give similar perfomance to a 320i. Best bet is a straight six petrol. In reality the whole point of BMW's is the straight six.Always fancied a 750i myself, in e32 flavour.E34 525 tds tourings are good hacks, the e34 although older is better made than the e36 aswell.

Always fancied a 750i myself, in e32 flavour.

Had one o'them once. Well a 750iL to be exact. Drove it to work one morning, it managed 10.8mpg. GR8 4 goin bankrupt. Lovely car to drive though if someone else is paying for the fuel.
Haha thats quite thirsty though! But it would be my first choice for executive shite, only id not want a long wheelbase. Second choice for me would be a merc S600 w140!

325td's are pretty good. The TDS with the 5 speed auto is spectacularly good on fuel on a long 70-80 mph run due to the very high gearing - 70 mph is under 2000 rpm. The TD used a 4 speed General Motors autobox which is alright as GM stuff goes, reliable but not world changing.Most rusty rear brake pipes will have been changed by now, front balljoints need a special tool BUT you can replace the entire wishbone with an E30 item.Like any old car, a cheap one will be rubbish and a nice one will be the best car you ever had.A mate of mine in Sheffield has a very tidy 525tds automatic on an M plate in metallic red with black leather, £650.