Rob's Rover 75 - now carlo's

RobT

Last Friday was a pinnacle of a shitness at work. There I am sitting there wondering, why do we do this to ourselves? This month's bills are paid and i've got a bit of spare, so time to load up the autotrader sub-£500 section and look for inspiration. There she is - Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club auto, £395 with full MoT and 30-odd miles away. That'll do!

The seller was one of those part-time trader types and he'd been using it to smoke around in. He seemed decent enough and said 'lovely car, it's just a shame no one seems to want it'. Makes a change from the usual 'got loads of interest' bollocks. I probably could have knocked him down on the price, but couldn't be arsed for the sake of 50 quid or whatever. I just wanted to sign the docs and take it home. The drive home was uneventful in a good way, no overheating and it drives 'sweet as'!

Perfection it 'aint though. The previous old giffer owner, an Oxford University professor or something, obviously used to touch park as the bumpers are scraped to buggery in places, and there's a big dent in the rear NS door that I'll get sorted if it becomes a keeper. Frankly I'm smitten at the moment. Being an early Cowley built car the quality isn't as good as the Longbridge ones apparently. In that case the friggers must be akin to a Bentley, as this seems pretty good to me.

I've spent the last few days cleaning and generally fawning over it, and going out for pointless drives. 20 quid of pez don't get you far in these around town, but fuck it, this car makes me feel a MILLION DOLLARS!!

Other issues are the ABS is intermittent, but tonight I disconnected what I think is an ABS sensor to try and trick the system into being off permanently. When it does work there's feedback through the pedal so I'd rather not have it . Needs to work for the next MoT obv. Also got some random noises at speed like a heatshield or something is loose, and a few advisories that I'll get sorted. Garage will have to do those as I'm a mechanical idiot most of the time.

Anyway, here's some pics additonal to wot I put in the News 24 thread

post-5013-0-13503300-1412725000_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-92857100-1412725046_thumb.jpg

Giffer dent

post-5013-0-10131600-1412725201_thumb.jpg

Beige loveliness

post-5013-0-18133400-1412725254_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-75743500-1412725296_thumb.jpg

The dash at night. Note the sensible placement of the temp gauge....

post-5013-0-12310700-1412725317_thumb.jpg

I can't really believe cars this good are so cheap Mo, it has to be done. As a comparison I sat in an S-type recently and it did nothing for me, whereas these feel a bit special for some reason. Maybe the fact they were the last Rover goes towards that feeling.

These still look like a million dollars yet they are available for nowt. Looks a nice example and extra points for it being a lower spec model rather than the Connoisseur.

There's some debate over the quality, some people reckon that the Cowley ones are the best others say early Longbridge cars. The big difference was really with the later Longbridge cars after all the gradual cheapening and decontenting there was over the years.

Having driven a top-spec manual KV6 one of these of a similar age in an unflattering light green shade (admittedly only a short distance) I wasn't terribly overawed by it but I think it would take a few miles to settle into it - plus that one had nasty cold leather seats, much prefer the cloth/velour .  Regardless, this has to be an absolute bargain of the highest order.  Also a superb colour scheme, inside and out, I don't think I've seen many in that blue.  Very like.

Having driven a top-spec manual KV6 one of these of a similar age in an unflattering light green shade (admittedly only a short distance) I wasn't terribly overawed by it but I think it would take a few miles to settle into it - plus that one had nasty cold leather seats, much prefer the .  Regardless, this has to be an absolute bargain of the highest order.  Also a superb colour scheme, inside and out, I don't think I've seen many in that blue.  Very like.

These have to be badermatics in my opinion Phil, it adds to the whole relaxed driving experience.  Part of the reason why it's taken me a while to buy one is I wanted beige cloth as am not a fan of leather, and some of the colour schemes they did in these aren't my cup of tea (such as that dark green leather with beige piping and green carpets).

Re the door, my brother is a paint sprayer and has recently changed jobs so I'm hoping his new firm will allow the odd private job to be done.  If so, I'll be quids in as the rear bumper could do with being done also.

How many miles has it done Rob?

For that money its a winner all day long, but I would love an early connie 2.5 V6 Auto. Not too many about now that aren't listed as 'Spares or Repair'

115,000 with cambelts done at 75,000.  Fully stamped book up to 2012 too.

I take it the connies have electric seats, mirrors and built-in sat nav etc?  This has climate control and CD interchanger which is enough mod cons for me, and all the other electrics seem to work.  I like the look of the 16" alloys on the higher spec motors, but these 15s are no doubt better for ride comfort.

Must admit I am all for the 16" wheels, they are one of the few redeeming features of mine, although I realise these cars are all about the refinement for which 15's are probably better.

Mine is a club as well but it doesnt have a CD changer, wish it did. I think it might have had one in the boot at some point as i found a bundle of wires all cable-tied up in the corner under the carpet.

Last Friday was a pinnacle of a shitness at work. There I am sitting there wondering, why do we do this to ourselves? This month's bills are paid and i've got a bit of spare, so time to load up the autotrader sub-£500 section and look for inspiration. There she is - Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club auto, £395 with full MoT and 30-odd miles away. That'll do!

I really like they way you think Rob.

Mine is a club as well but it doesnt have a CD changer, wish it did. I think it might have had one in the boot at some point as i found a bundle of wires all cable-tied up in the corner under the carpet.

First off I thought it only had a tape deck, so there's me cussing the miser who didn't tick it on the options list.   But I opened the glovebox the other day and the changer is located at the back, so yours might still have one Bol.

Although it looked quality I remember a lot of the trim bits inside were falling off or had fallen off though.  And the basic radio sounded awful.  It was a 2002 model so perhaps the quality was suffering by then.

Still something dignified about the car though, perhaps I should have given it longer.  Certainly a damned sight more comfortable than my 406 Coupe.

Img_3904a.jpg

I love the look of the 75, have done since they were launched. But the K series engine puts me right off.

Yes, I know I can get one with the "BMW" diesel, but they still seem strong money, whereas the 1.8Kettle can be had for buttons. Would I buy a 1.8 and play OMGHGF roulette? Well if it was cheap enough yes I would.