Skoda Octavia Tdi for sale £550

garethj

Are you thinking of becoming a private eye, and need anonymous transport?

Perhaps you played Dungeons & Dragons as a spotty youth and always wanted the cloak of invisibility?

Maybe you covet the glamour of becoming a minicab driver?

If the answer is yes then don't wait another minute, pick up the phone and call now to own this wonderful Skoda Octavia. I've owned this for just over a year, bought it with 150,000 miles and it now has 170,000. During that time it's never broken down, never failed to start and saved me shedloads of money with its 60+mpg. Here's a picture of it last week.

IMAG1106_zpsbmwgvagc.jpg

It's a 1.9 Tdi with 110bhp. Being the SLX model (that's like the modern version of HLS) it's loaded with features:

Alloy wheels, with 4 new Firestone tyres a few months ago

Climate control

4 wheel disc brakes (new discs on the rear)

4 electric windows

Height adjustable front seats

Central locking

Electrically adjustable heated door mirrors

Adjustable steering wheel for reach and rake

And they all still work. It's got a pretty full service history, in my ownership it's had oil & filter changes, the cambelt and water pump done at 160,000, rear discs a few thousand miles ago and that's about it.

So does everything work perfectly? No, the temperature gauge read lower and lower over the course of a week, and now doesn't move at all. But the heater still works so it's a sender or gauge problem. The digital clock / trip computer takes a few minutes for all the digits to light up, so for a while in the morning the time is 7:_¬ The wipers are a bit squeaky too, I dribbled some PlusGas down the spindles last winter which helped, maybe it's thirsty again.

This morning it passed its MoT. The mileage is high but it hides it better than anything except a Volvo 740; no rattles or bits threatening to fall off. If you need dull, reliable, incredibly economical transport with a massive boot and OMGVAGTORQ performance but without the Audi image, step this way.

I'm in Bedfordshire, J12 or 13 of the M1. Drop me a PM here, or O77lO 5326l4

Wikipedia says about that engine:

FORMATTING WIN! But it's not PD.

1.9 R4 TDI 29-81kW[edit] identification parts code prefix: 038, 064 (Volkswagen Marine) engine configuration & engine displacement inline four-cylinder (R4/I4) Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) turbodiesel; 1,896 cubic centimetres (115.7 cu in); bore x stroke: 79.5 by 95.5 millimetres (3.13 in Ãƒâ€” 3.76 in), stroke ratio: 0.83:1 - undersquare/long-stroke, 474.1 cc per cylindercompression ratio: 19.5:1 cylinder block & crankcase grey cast iron; five main bearingsdie-forged steel crankshaft, fracture-split forged steel connecting rodsMahle or Alcan pistons, simplex roller chain-driven oil pump, cast aluminium alloy baffled oil sump cylinder head & valvetrain cast aluminium alloy; two valves per cylinder, 8 valves total, bucket tappetstiming belt-driven single overhead camshaft (SOHC) aspiration hot-wire mass air flow (MAF) sensor, cast aluminium alloy intake manifoldGarrett or KKK turbocharger, side-mounted intercooler (SMIC), exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), cast iron exhaust manifold fuel system & engine management timing belt-driven Bosch VP37 (VerteilerPumpe) electronic distributor injection pumpdirect injection (DI) with five-hole nozzles, Bosch EDC 15V+ electronic engine control unit (Marine variant uses MDC) dimensions mass: 200 kilograms (441 lb) (Marine variants, dry weight) EWG-rated motive power & torque output, ID code, application 60 kilowatts (82 PS; 80 bhp)  AFDVolkswagen Industrial Motor - 480 (04/94-01/02) DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs, ID codes 29 kilowatts (39 PS; 39 bhp)  CDX Volkswagen Marine (10/07->) 55 kilowatts (75 PS; 74 bhp) @ 3,600 rpm; 155 newton metres (114 lbf·ft) @ 2,000 rpm  CDX Volkswagen Marine (10/07->) 66 kilowatts (90 PS; 89 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 202 newton metres (149 lbf·ft) @ 1,900 rpm  1Z, AHU 66 kilowatts (90 PS; 89 bhp) @ 3,750 rpm; 210 newton metres (155 lbf·ft) @ 1,900 rpm  AGR, AHH, ALE, ALH 81 kilowatts (110 PS; 109 bhp) @ 4,150 rpm; 235 newton metres (173 lbf·ft) @ 1,900 rpm  AFN, AHF, ASV, AVB, AVG 

Did the 30 horses you thought might be missing ever re-appear, garethj?

Good cars in 110hp form - the sort of performance for an everyday car I once dreamt of, but never expected it to be accompanied by such crushing insipidness. If you've a family, it's the old conundrum - something roomy, tough, practical, long-lasting, reliable and economical like an Octavia or something for your offspring to remember, perhaps with anything other than a god-fearing inline four and so on.

Rover P6B or Citroen GS would both provide many more memories. At the moment, my interesting cars are only able to be driven (and some only pushed) around the house or down at the workshop. Octavia is our transport, atm.

Probably AHF engine.

post-4845-0-86948600-1412713917_thumb.png

Did the 30 horses you thought might be missing ever re-appear, garethj?

Yes, I think the previous owner didn't drive it hard so a few weeks of diesel cleaner plus a good thrash on the last few miles of my commute freed things up enormously.

I toyed with the idea of a performance chip last year, I believe they go to about 135bhp quite cheaply.  But that would just make it a slightly faster dull car, so I didn't bother.

any idea what the engine code is?

I'm now wondering what the differences are between all these different codes for what appears the same engine with 110 hp and old style injection.

"81 kilowatts (110 PS; 109 bhp) @ 4,150 rpm; 235 newton metres (173 lbf·ft) @ 1,900 rpm  AFN, AHF, ASV, AVB, AVG"

I have one of these-(a Y reg SLX too!)and can recommend them. Mine has done 201k and failled it's MOT today-on a rear spring and track rod. Tough old beasts and parts are cheap. I prefer these to the equivalent Golf/Seat.

Oh and don't forget they're happy on veg oil too.

I still haven't found the engine number, but in my defence I haven't looked either.  It was raining, I had to go to parents' evening, Mrs_garethj was busy throwing up after catching some bug that's going around the school...

But I took some more photos.  Those with a grey fetish can store these in the wank bank

IMAG1169_zpsgzpd20x7.jpg

IMAG1168_zpsqdr50ans.jpg

IMAG1167_zpsilupo1hk.jpg

IMAG1166_zps0hlvg5nb.jpg

IMAG1165_zpsq7lbsd39.jpg

IMAG1164_zpsysf7wzea.jpg

IMAG1163_zpsvtxmfsxk.jpg

IMAG1162_zpsezr4vo59.jpg

IMAG1161_zpsmvw8ofxf.jpg

What's that you say, a new Bosch battery in there?  Why, yes it is!

The different engine codes are pretty much bollocks, I had an ASV in my Leon and put an AHF or summat in from a Skoda and it was spot on. Only difference was lack of sump sender for oil level. Looms, pipes, mounts and everything were identical.

Good engine though, despite mine destroying itself at 100k it had been thoroughly abused.

Good tip on spotting in future, 1.9 PDs have oil filler on right, TDIs are on left.

Going bang at 100,000 miles is unusual I think?  The garage I bought it from sells them to the local minicab firm where they usually do 300,000, presumably with the service light on for 297,000 of those.

I put this on RetroRides and had an offer of £450.  Which I declined :-(

• 5 months later...

That'll be me then :)  i thought i'd have a look on here after i spotted the sticker in the back window lol

the good news is, it is still going strong, and is now on 177K.  hopefully it will do a lot more, as it is needed for daily service until my reliant rialto is MOT'd in the near future, then it may be up for sale again :-)

Lee

• 6 months later...

bit of a thread resurrection lol  but the Skoda went in for its MOT - and passed with no advisories :mrgreen:   it will continue to be used as my daily for the foreseeable i think.

all I've had to do to it in the last year, and 13,000 miles, is new windscreen (big stone), standard service, temp sender (cheap as chips), and fill it up occasionally.

top motor, would recommend them to everyone!

Lee