Ideas for Banger Rally

Parky

All,I'm planning to do one of these Banger Rallies next year - its all for charidee mate! - and I will be needing a set of wheels for a ton.There is a fair chance that the vehicle involved may not make it back unless I happen to get a mint Datty or Renner for £100 in which case it shall be cherished like one of my own Children. However I'm reluctant to get something too useful or rare as I dont want to potentially ruin something loved by everyone on the site. I'm not Clarkson!So my question is, what suggestions would everyone make for a £100 motor capable of reaching Naples or Helsinki that doesnt matter if it meets its maker in the final destination country? I realise there are fans of all makes here but surely there must be something that nobody would mind seeing the back of?Not planning to buy just yet - just looking for ideas.......cheers all!

I can never see the point in doing one of these rallies in something guaranteed to make it without issue, Shonky old Marina would be my choice, or a Fiat Regatta. Much more fun not knowing whether you will actually make it or not!

Reliant Regal would be a proper chancey car to go a long way in I reckon. Less stable than a Robin so more chance of falling over but more comical looking and the very sight of it would provide much amusement for passing Scandinavians especially if it's a saloon. Simple engineering so easy to fix if (when) it breaks too.

Any BL/Austin Rover I reckon. You could easily pick up an Marina/Ital/Metro/Maestro etc etc for peanuts & there is an outside chance you might even get hlf way through thhe rally. Maybe.Or for genuine reliability how about something Japanese - Micra/Starlet/Colt etc etc.

I'm with Mike on this.. I don't see the point in buying a car that you know will make it. First time I went to Finland was in a '74 Datsun Laurel into which I'd bodged a 1.8 Bluebird over the few days before I went. When I was there I bought a 1967 Bluebird and drove it back. I hadn't even test driven it before buying and it did need an alternator repair and a fanbelt on the way back (via Norway) but I had no real concerns about wether I'd make the trip in either car so in anything newer it'd be like a jaunt down the shops. No challenge at all. Rather than a price limit there should be an age limit. Nothing newer than 1959!

I'm with Ed -nothing newer than 1959 sounds good to me. Much more fun...I used to ''compete'' in themed Le Mans trips -back in the day.We did cheapest sports car (came 2nd in a Dulux poppy red Midget for £105 - bought with a rod thru the block) to £66 Spitfire, reformed predominantly in P38..Following year it was Honda C90's -won that with my tartan panniers.Then it was sub 600cc -I took a Fiat 500 -too obvious really -won by an N360.Following year it was sub 750 sports cars -equal first in my Berkeley Se328 -with modified Honda N600 running gear -a true flyer, currently languishing 'barnside'.Ended my entries when it went repmobile -1.6l Sierra estate. Too easy for me, too difficult for others so it kinda folded.So -whos up for a daft Autshite run to Lemons next year?

I like the look of that one Ted. Had considered a BX but they have their fans (including myself) and I'd hate to be the man responsible for putting that much strain on an old classic. For some reason, Proton and Hyundai seem to be floating my boat at the mo.

Ted, what is "octopus" in that BX ad?

Isnt it a joint for the suspension pipework :?:
Yup - it's a rubber thing that brings all the low pressure return pipes from the suspension together on their way back to the reservoir. It lives in a little nook between the front subframe and bulkhead in front of the driver's footwell where it's very difficult to see and virtually impossible to get at. A troublesome octopus was one of the main reasons why I finally lost patience with swmbo's BX, so if the job's been done recently I'd call that a selling point.

Its no fun if you know the vehicle in question will be 100% reliable, so go down the route of almost but not quite dead shite, Suzuki SJ would be worth it if you feel particularly masochistic.Don't forgot to leave it in long term parking at Naples / Triest / Zaragosa or wherever airport when you're done. Bet they love that...

Thanks for all the ideas. I discussed these ideas with one of my workmates and he said "Suzuki SJ, I've got an old one in my barn, should be able to get it going if you're interested". Its a bit of a heap but I reckon it would pass an MOT with a bit of tidying and maybe new brake pads. Obviously I'd do a full service on it before going and reckon I will bring it back too as a sort of mini project for the autumn. Cheers for the ideas all!

I've decided I'm going to bring my old Octavia back from Czech in April. Does driving a free-to-me '61 Skoda from NE Czech to Liverpool merit a thread on 'ere? If all goes well, I may well take some old Brit shite and see if that makes it to Czech and double my chances of a nice disaster or two en-route.