Divla crash highlighting double tax and other probs

forddeliveryboy

I'm torn whether to keep the last tax disc in my window forever, or remove it now hoping I can wind some curtain twitcher up who doesn't know the new rules. Might waste some of the DVLA's time too, double win.

Go one better, put the most recent expired disc in.

No more selling a car as taxed and tested for 12 months.

Hopefully people use half a brain cell and state the price that they want <i>including</i> the cost of six or twelve months tax otherwise every car you look at buying you will have to ask 'but what does it cost to tax?', look it up then add it to the price the seller wants.

Let's make it as difficult (and expensive, unless you've loadsamoney) as possible to remain above the law.

Putting on the serious hat for once, it's a well-known technique pioneered in the Home Office/whatever it's called today, to make sure people have to fill out lots of forms and keep abreast of ever-changing legislation, which is supposed to prevent people from becoming hermits.

I'm torn whether to keep the last tax disc in my window forever, or remove it now hoping I can wind some curtain twitcher up who doesn't know the new rules. Might waste some of the DVLA's time too, double win.

So I can take the current tax disk out of my 1982 car and put a 1982 tax disk there instead just for fun.  Cool. Might just do that.  Or better still a "Tax In The Post" sign.  Or a beer mat,

Anyone noticed alot of 'vehicle not found pages?

tried SWMBO's old corsa - OY52ETV, Y874RCB, the puma, my mate tried a few and nothing

Do dead cars not still display a page showing when it was last taxed, so you knew if there was a few years gap it was probably dead? SWMBO's sad that her old car's probably been scrapped now!

On the plus side my old ZX is mot'd and taxed until next summer, glad to see it's having some love!

If a certificate of destruction was issued against a car then it's removed from the database. That's always been the case. Not all dead cars have CoDs issued against them so should still appear on the database. Assuming none of the almost inevitable DVLA dropped bollocks,

I see that the outage of the DVLA website has resulted in mass protests in Hong Kong of all places. Hopefully the government is taking note and not just thinking 'Sod it, the British people a a bunch of wet lettuces, we can do owt us and they just sit there and take it. Now, how can I reduce some tax for my Mummy and Daddy with overly complicated legislation?'

If a certificate of destruction was issued against a car then it's removed from the database. That's always been the case. Not all dead cars have CoDs issued against them so should still appear on the database. Assuming none of the almost inevitable DVLA dropped bollocks,

Aah that would make sense then. My old Puma and 206 certainly would have had COD's issued.

20120128_134125.jpg

Farewell OY52 ETV, with your rattly timing chain and other pulleys, your thirst for oil and tendancy to mayo yourself up to shit unless I thrashed it to work and back every day (I worked further away from home than amy at the time) and your leaky bulkhead that filled the footwells with water!

So, if you set up a 12 month direct debit, and the MOT expires in three, will they continue to take payment on a car they now know isnt legal?

And if they stop, and you subsequently get a ticket a few weeks later, will they sutomatically restart (seeing as you've agreed the mandate) or will you need to re- apply?

I'm just going to paint it silver and stick the same plates on it as my 360...

I don't see how the new DLVA rules would mean that this sort of thing is suddenly going to increase. Was the massive hassle of swapping the tax disc over the only thing stopping people from doing this previously?

I don't see how the new DLVA rules would mean that this sort of thing is suddenly going to increase. Was the massive hassle of swapping the tax disc over the only thing stopping people from doing this previously?

The fact that you would need two tax discs to use two cars at the same made it impossible under the old system, and there was a clear visual immediate check that could be made to verify.

A clear visual check for a piece of coloured paper, that only your nosey old neighbours would ever actually do.

Photocopied tax disc would only be noticed if you were holding it and knew all the anti-forgery marks. Behind glass and a plastic holder, no chance.

1. I just set up a DD online to renew the tax for the RBM and opted for the monthly payments.

The website worked very well and should be understandable for everyone with half a brain.

In fact, the website is better designed and works better, than many websites of the IT industry,

which are usually a Java-laden clusterfuck.

2. The upcoming sale of the Mitsubishite to Mr Conelrad will be dated 31-10-2014 on the V5C,

despite he will "borrow" the car before that date, to piss off the highwaymen and robber barons

from the tax office, because I'm an anarchist and shit on them.

We've had a warning at work telling us not to use the direct debit facility for paying VED.  The DVLA have outsourced all the DD stuff to a private company, so if you pay for VED by DD this company have access to your vehicle details, bank account details and home address!  It's a potential fuck up of the highest order, obviously there have been dodgy people working for the DVLA for years but it just adds another layer that could result in a security breach.

So if you work in any kind of sensitive field and park your car in a car park visible from the public highway (or might be recognised while driving it) and don't want the local Mr Big's bigger 'helpers' paying you a 3am visit with interesting gifts, don't use the DD facility.

well, as the Galaxie is a '59 model, not only is it MoT exempt, it's also rent-free.

so, is DD the best option for me?

p.s. for sale, tax disc for 1959 Galaxie, one careful owner, will sell for what it cost me

We've had a warning at work telling us not to use the direct debit facility for paying VED.  The DVLA have outsourced all the DD stuff to a private company, so if you pay for VED by DD this company have access to your vehicle details, bank account details and home address!

So has the company in Romania my employer outsourced our payroll to. 

Big deal.

Besides, have you ever heard of a thing called the NSA? Or MI5? Or CIA? Or Echelon?

Trust me, they have much more confidential information about you than some bank details or home addresses I can look up online anyway.

Actually, to find out your home address, all I have to do is read the street sign of the street you live in, and read the number of your house,

I don't even need the internet for that. I bet your car with your numberplate on it is parked in the driveway, too, if you don't drive around

with it for all to see and being photographed every 30 odd yards.