Divla crash highlighting double tax and other probs

forddeliveryboy

It must be DIVLAKAOS^99 in SA99. Has the system crashed not because they haven't paid hundreds of millions of our money to some American data company but because there's no room to struggle through all the post and into the computer room to press the reset button? There will have been a scramble for old envelopes and stamps in many a household and garage to prevent previous owners receiving early Christmas prezzies from Swansea. Maybe the Divla letter box is opposite the computer room? Maybe they can't escape from their desks because of the mail? :shock:

Anyways, all this "can't tax my car bound to be crushed" talk which has reached the national media is also highlighting the potentially greater ease of cloning and less chance of proving that when the computer says no, law-abiding citizens are innocent. Not to mention the fact that the government is going to be receving double tax when cars are sold. Few seem to have picked up on the fact that charging 5% for a DD is unusual.

The BBC, Telegraph and Mirror all mention the 'double-tax' scenario when a car has sold - will this website problem end up causing more bother than they ever imagined?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11131843/Tax-discs-scrapped-penalty-fears-for-innocent-drivers.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/car-tax-discs-scrapped-complaints-4356067

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29430979

post-4845-0-98599000-1412173243_thumb.png

I'm planning to sorn the t2 at the end/towards the end of October, but then I need to get into this paying monthly thing so I'll probably re-liscence it when it goes to get some work done over the winter, rather than run it down illegally, then I'll be able to go for a bit of a test drive/picnic before sorbing it again at the end of that month.

I'm certain this will simplify things for dvlc

Although I'll be sure to print out a lot of the relevant web pages to keep in the van.

Not quite as convenient as a 3 inch disc but progress...

The DVLA said the site had seen "an unprecedented volume of traffic".

Which means two things:

1. Even my eight-year-old knows that every website that hasn't existed before can't possibly have a precedented volume of traffic,

so which other volume of traffic than an unprecedented one could the site possibly have?

Had the DVLA said "we'll never meet again being as young as we are now" - the meaninglessness would have been equal.

2. The DVLA is unaware that a few more cars were registered since King Edward took delivery of his Daimler in Spring of 1902, hence

the NPR doesn't know more than maybe a handful of numberplates and we have nothing to fear.

Furthermore:

Tax discs were introduced in 1921 but the DVLA says its electronic systems mean they are no longer needed, and the change will save taxpayers about £20 million per year.

OK.

The police’s national network of about 500,000 ANPR cameras currently captures about 30 million individual images of licence plates each day

[...]

The DVLA said it did not recognise the figures, and insisted all camera images would be cross referred against electronic records ensure the make and model of the car match the licence plate.

Penalties will only be issued when officials are certain tax has been unpaid, a spokesman said.

How many years of £20 million of taxpayers money are needed to finance this?

And on which legislative basis is the police used to enforce tax payments, which isn't police work at all?

Edit: Why aren't members of the independent media asking these quite simple and obvious questions?

So if I've got this right, when I buy a car next, I have to find a post office straight away to tax it, as I will only have the new keepers supplement? That's assuming of course that the system has updated to show I'm insured on a policy I may have only just taken out?

Nah, just buy the car and don't worry about taxing it for a few days or whatever. It's still taxed under the previous keeper til the V5 lands in the waste paper bin at Swansea so there's no immediate rush, that's of course assuming they even gets round to sending the V5 quickly.

Personally I'd probably just tax the car from the start of the following month no matter when I bought it, after all the DVLA will only have refunded the previous keeper's VED from after that date. 

I reckon in all fairness if the car is currently in tax, the site should automatically run the tax from the 1st of the next month. They should only be able to steal part of a month off you if the vehicle is sorned or whatever. 

Interestingly* there be a car parked on grass bit at the end of my street wearing a clamp with a big untaxed sticker on the window. First time I've seen anything like that around here. Wonder which curtain twitcher is responsible.

I'm torn whether to keep the last tax disc in my window forever, or remove it now hoping I can wind some curtain twitcher up who doesn't know the new rules. Might waste some of the DVLA's time too, double win.

I saw the doovla spokesman on breakfast news a few weeks ago discussing this very topic, newscaster asks him is it right that you will be taking tax twice for the month the a car is sold,

mr doovla in his best politician mode totally skirted the question which was asked twice by saying it will be better for the public as they can now tax it over the phone 24 hours a day.  so i guess they already know they are going to rake in twice from the publics car buying

Site still down. I need to tax or sorn the MG, and the site just has an apology on it.

Also, the 0300 number is dead. 

They should think about maybe opening some places across the country with people in who could do this sort of stuff. Call it a local office.

Interestingly* there be a car parked on grass bit at the end of my street wearing a clamp with a big untaxed sticker on the window. First time I've seen anything like that around here. Wonder which curtain twitcher is responsible.

Is it a car that's been there a while, been clamped? Or a car appeared with a clamp on?

The DVLA sometimes buy a scrapper, put a clamp on it and leave it somewhere on a main road to scare people. A bit like a horses head in your bed.

Somebody should set up a petition while the iron's hot, requesting that Swansea/HMG don't take two lots of tax almost every time a car is sold. Did I read it on here that they're suggesting 65% of cars are sold with no tax left to run? Shyster answer I say which is trying to mis-represent reality and con people into thinking there's no great scam going on here. They risk being seen as a bit of a dodgy dealer themselves - I suppose after years of working/dealing with a few, it has rubbed off?

*sigh*

So the site's now working. 

I try to SORN the MG, I put the 16 digit code off the reminder letter in, it can't find it.

Use the 11 digit off the V5, It says this:

• Vehicle make MG
  • Tax class PLG (Private/Light Goods)
  • Tax/SORN status Taxed and due
  • SORN start date 01 October 2014

The tax ran out at the end of September, so the SORN start date is right, but then it says the car is taxed and due? Is this because 5 days grace?

Originally it said it couldn't find the car at all, and told me off for using the service too early - it said something vague about "This service is available from the 5th of the month that the tax ran out, until the end of the following month". But my tax ran out technically in September - 23:59, 30/9/2014. So it was available from the 5th September? Clearly not.

The point about cloning led me to a rather scary thought. Our car's registration ends in EFF and I happen to know that EFE is an identical car. So, one little strip of black tape to turn the F into an E and hey presto, undetectable tax avoidance :shock:

Anyone noticed alot of 'vehicle not found pages?

tried SWMBO's old corsa - OY52ETV, Y874RCB, the puma, my mate tried a few and nothing

Do dead cars not still display a page showing when it was last taxed, so you knew if there was a few years gap it was probably dead? SWMBO's sad that her old car's probably been scrapped now!

On the plus side my old ZX is mot'd and taxed until next summer, glad to see it's having some love!