Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Huge yank shite - MOT passed, but...

• Please log in to reply
474 replies to this topic

#451 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 4,697 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted Yesterday, 02:52 PM

Britain is probably not the best country for you to be residing in then! Glad to hear your MOT fail was minor and easily sortable.

.... poor old ToMM© lives on the street >> sure it must have been a 'cossetted garage queen' in a previous life [no UK Toyyo makes 26yr on a diet of saltsoup :( ]

Ah well...

TS

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#452 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted Yesterday, 03:04 PM

When you disconnected the vacuum actuators, I guess you remembered to plug the holes/pipes?

Yes, I pulled the hoses and taped up the ends to stop shit getting in. Everything is now back on and connected as it should be. No change in running at all.

This is what it's left behind.
37132478932_40a1899733_o.jpgIMG_0701 by Dan Clark, on Flickr
The only way to make it run is to put your foot flat to the floor on the gas and just keep cranking it over. Eventually it catches but it runs awfully.
Once it's running it idles ok-ish. If it's revved it struggles and runs rough until it either clears or dies.
If it's running it'll keep idling for about 30 seconds but consistently then gets progressively worse until it just cuts out.
It's smoking like a mother fucker too when started, and then when it's running rough just before it cuts out.

Nothing I can do is having any effect either. I've pulled all plugs out and cleaned them (all thick black sooty) I've also tried weakening the mix a fair bit too but it's made fuck all difference.

Is your thermo switch connected and working properly?
These have to be able to switch to preheated air when not entirely hot.

Connected and seems to work.

I'm getting fucking sick of this shit now. I've had this shit pile of a car four years now and still after spending a fortune in parts, repairs and time it's still fucked. It's never managed to run consistently for a single year so far despite everything having been replaced or repaired.
It's like a sick fucking joke tbh. Talk about being repeatedly fucked up the ass when your already down.
It might be just because I'm already fucking seething mad but I just can't be arsed with all this shit anymore. I'm tempted to just get rid of the cunt tbh, straight to the oval with it.
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#453 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 37,315 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted Yesterday, 03:15 PM

You should have bought a Ford...

I would have much more rofled had it failed on red indicators.

In fact, I'd probably have died of laughter, so I'm glad it's more serious.

Love your 5ft long carbon footprint.

• danthecapriman likes this

1967 Renault 16 TL............................................now with floor and MoT

1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked

1974 Ford LTD................................................The Green Lean Machine
1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running

1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate.................now with aircon and brakes

#454 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 37,315 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Oh, and your float or needle and seat valve is stuck.

• danthecapriman, Sigmund Fraud and Mally like this

1967 Renault 16 TL............................................now with floor and MoT

1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked

1974 Ford LTD................................................The Green Lean Machine
1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running

1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate.................now with aircon and brakes

#455 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Oh, and your float or needle and seat valve is stuck.

How though? The shit heap was fine before!
Should I take the carb top cover off and have a look?
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#456 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,122 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

Yes, I pulled the hoses and taped up the ends to stop shit getting in. Everything is now back on and connected as it should be. No change in running at all.

This is what it's left behind.

The only way to make it run is to put your foot flat to the floor on the gas and just keep cranking it over. Eventually it catches but it runs awfully.
Once it's running it idles ok-ish. If it's revved it struggles and runs rough until it either clears or dies.
If it's running it'll keep idling for about 30 seconds but consistently then gets progressively worse until it just cuts out.
It's smoking like a mother fucker too when started, and then when it's running rough just before it cuts out.

Nothing I can do is having any effect either. I've pulled all plugs out and cleaned them (all thick black sooty) I've also tried weakening the mix a fair bit too but it's made fuck all difference.

I'm getting fucking sick of this shit now. I've had this shit pile of a car four years now and still after spending a fortune in parts, repairs and time it's still fucked. It's never managed to run consistently for a single year so far despite everything having been replaced or repaired.
It's like a sick fucking joke tbh. Talk about being repeatedly fucked up the ass when your already down.
It might be just because I'm already fucking seething mad but I just can't be arsed with all this shit anymore. I'm tempted to just get rid of the cunt tbh, straight to the oval with it.

As previously mentioned - my AMC has been behaving in a very similarly annoying way.  I sympathise - you have laid out a lot more than I have on trying to fix yours.

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin"

2003 Jaaaag XJ 260K miles and counting

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez FOR SALE Now with new As owner

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#457 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 37,315 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 03:20 PM

Yes.

#458 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 03:21 PM

Give the carb a couple of whacks which an extension bar.

Thats all they ever do on Roadkill.

• danthecapriman, Junkman and AMC Rebel like this

LAST OWNER WAS SON OF A BANKER

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if it is broke just ignore it, and maybe it'll be sort of OK...?

#459 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Yes.

I've just been reading up on carb flooding, I've never had it happen before...

From the sound of things your right JM! Thinking back, the last few times I drove it I could smell petrol when driving, it cleared though so I thought no more of it and just assumed it was from filling up. This is a symptom according to some American guy on the web. His starting of a flooded car is identical to mine too.

Annoying really as the carb isn't that old.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#460 OFFLINE   meowdchina

meowdchina

• Full Members
  • 913 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationStoke on Trent then Rugeley then Lancaster then China then Nurnberg then Massachusetts now California

Posted Yesterday, 03:42 PM

It needs to be driven more often, they don't like being stood for too long. I'm taking it you've still got the manual fuel pump and not a leccy replacement ?

Not quite the end of the Earth but
you can just about see it from here.

#461 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

• Full Members
  • 104 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 03:56 PM

Just read through this thread from start (with photofuckit irritation) to today.  Utterly epic.

And yes.  The latest fun and games* sounds very much like a stuck float or a bit of something stopping the needle valve from closing on the Carb float inlet.  Had very similar issues with various carbs over the years, particularly if not used regularly, as they then suffer from Varnish making everything sticky and not working properly.

#462 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 04:09 PM

It needs to be driven more often, they don't like being stood for too long. I'm taking it you've still got the manual fuel pump and not a leccy replacement ?

Yeah still original mechanical pump (also new!).

Just read through this thread from start (with photofuckit irritation) to today.  Utterly epic.

And yes.  The latest fun and games* sounds very much like a stuck float or a bit of something stopping the needle valve from closing on the Carb float inlet.  Had very similar issues with various carbs over the years, particularly if not used regularly, as they then suffer from Varnish making everything sticky and not working properly.

Ta! It's been a hell of an undertaking that's for sure!

It's done less than 1000 miles this year. I know it needs using more, it's just having chance at the moment. This last year and a bit the full focus has been on getting the utter nightmare that is the Capri resto sorted. Everything else has gone out the window because of that.

Still, this's got an MOT now so all I've got to do is sort the carb out.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#463 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,493 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted Yesterday, 05:57 PM

I've just been reading up on carb flooding, I've never had it happen before...

From the sound of things your right JM! Thinking back, the last few times I drove it I could smell petrol when driving, it cleared though so I thought no more of it and just assumed it was from filling up. This is a symptom according to some American guy on the web. His starting of a flooded car is identical to mine too.

*RollEyes*
  • danthecapriman and Hooli like this
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#464 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Fuck the stupid thing anyway. It's got a ticket and it's on my drive safe so I'll leave it be for a few days, else I'll just lose my temper with it. Shouldn't be too difficult to sort anyway.
If I leave it a few days it'll probably start straight up as the fuel will have drained off/evaporated. Until of course the float/needle sticks again.

Good job I've got a Volvo though isn't it!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#465 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted Yesterday, 06:25 PM

Sounds very much like there's a bit of grit in seat for the float needle or something. This doesn't need to be anything like old, just a matter of something washing its way along the fuel system. Favourite would be a bit of rubber "swarf" from a trimmed fuel hose.

Float height (which can be thrown off by the above) is critical on carbs of this type and will cause all sorts of nonsense if it's even slightly off.

Sounds very much like you need to take a few steps back for a while though and let your head clear a bit.

Have found myself in the same boat with the overheating issue on my Skoda. Very nearly wanted to push the thing off the nearest cliff when it overheated last time. My response was to park it up and ignore it for a couple of months.

Current fleet: 1989 Saab 900i Auto.  1987 Skoda Estelle 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.  1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.  1985 Sinclair C5.

#466 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

*RollEyes*

Sorry, I forgot that this was exactly what you'd said on the last page!
  • SiC likes this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#467 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Sounds very much like there's a bit of grit in seat for the float needle or something. This doesn't need to be anything like old, just a matter of something washing its way along the fuel system. Favourite would be a bit of rubber "swarf" from a trimmed fuel hose.
Float height (which can be thrown off by the above) is critical on carbs of this type and will cause all sorts of nonsense if it's even slightly off.
Sounds very much like you need to take a few steps back for a while though and let your head clear a bit.
Have found myself in the same boat with the overheating issue on my Skoda. Very nearly wanted to push the thing off the nearest cliff when it overheated last time. My response was to park it up and ignore it for a couple of months.

It is really getting on my last nerve now. After everything I've done to it you'd think nothing else can cause trouble yet here we are. AGAIN! All I want to do is drive the dam thing.

It's lethal though when it's like this as you can't control the car once the engines not running. Twice today when it cut out I lost steering - no power assist without engine means turning the wheel is incredibly hard to do.
And the brakes barely work without the servo working. If it does it at the wrong moment your fucked, you'll either rear end someone or stuff it into a roundabout or something.
I did gain a lot of confidence in the car after the work finished but now it's done this again not so much.

I'm going to leave it alone for a bit I think. I'll end up smashing it if not! I really wanted to get the MOT sorted then have at least a couple of months of use out of it before the bloody winter and road salt come in. Oh well.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#468 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,579 posts
  • 27 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:58 PM

Is there a local mobile mechanic you would trust to have a look at it, it will just be dirt somewherr

#469 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 07:05 PM

Is there a local mobile mechanic you would trust to have a look at it, it will just be dirt somewherr

The place that did the engine rebuild are 5 mins down the road. Getting it to them wouldn't be too hard, especially if I go early to avoid traffic.
They seemed to do a good job on this car and they know classic cars inside out. But after the trouble on the Capri I'm not sure I should? Maybe the bodywork on that was just a bit much for them. I don't know.

I could do it myself then get the carb set up again on a gas analyser. I just don't have the time or inclination to at the moment. I Dunno.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#470 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,493 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted Yesterday, 07:18 PM

Surely must be some videos on YouTube especially as it would be a type of video popular in the states.
Current Fleet:

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#471 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 07:27 PM

Surely must be some videos on YouTube especially as it would be a type of video popular in the states.

Refurbishing or cleaning the carb out is something I can do. I've done my Capri carb a few times now and others it's just the time and tbh I can not be arsed with anymore on this car, I just want it fixed and working.
I've got stuff to do for the Capri resto and some jobs I want to do on the Volvo. This is just a massive irritation really as it means spending time and money here where I shouldn't have to.
At least if I pay someone to do it I can throw them the keys and leave them to sort it out while I do other things.
  • SiC likes this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#472 OFFLINE   eddyramrod

eddyramrod

The Crimson Avenger

• Full Members
  • 11,125 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationTiny terraced hutch in a cramped street

Posted Yesterday, 08:21 PM

After everything I've done to it you'd think nothing else can cause trouble yet here we are. AGAIN!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Come on Dan, the reason this forum exists at all is because all old cars will do exactly that!  All of them, and they will do it!  If anyone knows that, I do.  Take a break for a few days, give one of the others some attention, and come back to this when you feel calmer.  It'll be right.  It's nothing you can't handle; it just happened at the wrong time, that's all.  And that's something else they all do....

• danthecapriman and mat_the_cat like this

The Blob: 2007 Chevrolet Tacuma (wheelchair bus)

Giffer: 1995 Rover 820Si

Huggy Bear: 1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

Mr ramrod is the nicest person in the world  (Chompy_snake, 2015)

Eddy is the finest fellow you will ever meet,  FACT (Djimbob, 2017)

#473 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Come on Dan, the reason this forum exists at all is because all old cars will do exactly that! All of them, and they will do it! If anyone knows that, I do. Take a break for a few days, give one of the others some attention, and come back to this when you feel calmer. It'll be right. It's nothing you can't handle; it just happened at the wrong time, that's all. And that's something else they all do....

Yeah I know.
This one is a special kind a bastard though I'll give it that! Never before have I known a car that's been such a pain in the arse as this one.
The Capri has been utterly faultless since day 1, it was just the rust that started to get the better of it. Other than that I can't remember it ever causing trouble. Even the others I've had over the years haven't come close to this car!
It's a shame cos when it's going it's bloody brilliant to drive and own it just seems to have a real problem with actually running for any length of time.
Thinking back, the last fuck up was the fuel tank, that was September last year. Maybe this car hates the cold and winter as much as I do?!

I'll sort it though don't worry! I get mad and say shit I don't mean but I've got no intention whatsoever of giving up on it.

It needs sorting too as I've got a wedding to do with it in May.
  • eddyramrod likes this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#474 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,493 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Could be worse, you could own a similar aged car to this with dodgy brakes, fuel tank that spills fuel when going up hill, can't manage a journey further than 10 miles without cutting out and a shock absorber that goes boing-de-boing. That also lives outside, so by the time it's fixed, it'll probably be rotten.
Current Fleet:

#475 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,237 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationRiding the trough of the fashion wave

Posted Yesterday, 08:47 PM

A 'quick n dirty' fix, IF it is is dirt on the float valve seat preventing it from shutting off is to cut off the fuel supply temporarily. The engine will then use up what's in the float bowl, then as it dies from lack of fuel, allow fuel through again which will rush in and hopefully wash away whatever was stopping the valve from fully closing. Just a bodge until you can check the carb properly, but it's helped me in the past.

• danthecapriman, eddyramrod and Christine like this

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users