Huge yank shite - odd jobs.

danthecapriman

Ã‚£13250!

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you could've imported something more interesting from America for that. Frightening, that's what that is!

No, I don't think you're an idiot, it's your choice and your money, but I don't think I could bring myself to spend that sort of money on any sort of vehicle, even if I was loaded.

It is a hell of a lot of money. And I'd rather not of paid it at all. But, I'd already paid a good few grand on the car and getting it here so faced with an unexpected engine fault it kind of left me with little choice but to carry on.

If not I'd have to give the car up as a loss and lose the money I'd already spent on it. With a dead engine it's not really worth much at all. That's how I'm trying to justify it anyway!

It just makes it easier that I love this car. It's literally the sort of thing I've always wanted.

"...One human brain, barely used...offers or px??" [/sarcasm of course!]

Methinks the rarity of this car justifies that much spendage. I haven't seen one of these in the metal in at least 20 years. There either weren't that many sold in the first place, or they're all in junkyards cookware by now. It's probably worth double that amount to a collector, but instead it's being driven! RESPECT. These are the cars that were once derisively called "gas hogs" in the early 80's, when people were trading them in for Toyotas and such.

I should think that it will not escape notice at shows, and people will be wanting to rent it for weddings, special events and such. BOOKEMDANO CHOFER SERVICE AVAILABLE innit...

...it could easily make you at least some of that money back...PHOWAR!

"...One human brain, barely used...offers or px??" [/sarcasm of course!]

Methinks the rarity of this car justifies that much spendage. I haven't seen one of these in the metal in at least 20 years. There either weren't that many sold in the first place, or they're all in junkyards cookware by now. It's probably worth double that amount to a collector, but instead it's being driven! RESPECT. These are the cars that were once derisively called "gas hogs" in the early 80's, when people were trading them in for Toyotas and such.

I should think that it will not escape notice at shows, and people will be wanting to rent it for weddings, special events and such. BOOKEMDANO CHOFER SERVICE AVAILABLE innit...

...it could easily make you at least some of that money back...PHOWAR!

The thought of trading something like this in for an 80's Toyota makes me ill! Why would anyone do that!

Yes, it's always a possibility to do the odd wedding/special event with it. It'd certainly help claw a few £ back.

That figure for repairs btw, it's not all for the engine rebuild. A good chunk of that is also for the numerous repairs and checks of the rest of it's mechanicals. Almost every mechanical part of the car has now been at least given a check over, service or rebuild/replacement. Plus the vacuum systems of course, which most other cars don't have. It is essentially returned back to almost new condition mechanically.

And a lot of the parts had to be shipped into the UK aswell, it all adds up.

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

As for trading one in: OMGGAS@1.50CRYSIS!

Oh what a feeling! Indeed...big $ at the time. People wanted to save money, so they would trade their barges in for skips. On reflection, I don't see many of those Toyotas left either...

Cheers mate!

• 2 weeks later...

Today is a good day!

Reassembly is complete, it's been run up to temperature. It's also been out on the road and driven for a good 30 odd miles and all seems good.

The steering and tracking has been reset (no more off centre steering wheel) and the rotten old battery tray has been replaced.

And today it went for it's MOT, which it passed!!

I've just taxed it for a year (free, tax exempt) so it's just about finished. I'm just getting them to sort the kickdown on the auto box which requires a part and then it's 100% finished and ready to collect.

So, watch this space for collection capers, all 5 miles of it! Though I might just have to go the long way home...

Via Barrow, obviously... ;)

Congratulations!  You've just given yourself the finest Christmas present you possibly could.  I'm looking forward to seeing it!

I'll probably end up bankrupting myself trying to drive it that far at the moment!

It has worked out pretty well timed, best Xmas present ever, even if it is for myself.

It's definitely going to back home in time for your visit down here anyway. Get your driving gloves ready!

Gloves?  GLOVES?????? I'm going to be stroking that upholstery with naked flesh, sir!  Gloves, he says.......

Errr, I'm not going to judge. I'll leave the two of you alone for a while once we meet up, let you get acquainted!

I'll try to find a good road somewhere near here for a 'test drive'. Should be a good day!

• 1 month later...

Oh hell yes! It's back!!

I finally got the call the other day to say it's finished and ready to pick up.

Sadly it was absolutely pissing down on the day of collection so I wasn't able to get any pics on the day. The final bill was paid and the car checked over and I left for home, the weather was absolutely awful so I just went the couple of miles straight home then had to go out to work.

The mot apparently was no trouble, didn't even get any advisory items. It's got classic running in oil in it at the moment which will need changing after 500 to 1000 miles of gentle driving. It's done a good 100 miles or so already at the hands of the mechanic just to check everything's ok.

Today however is lovely here, freezing cold and a bit icy but lovely blue sky and sunny. So I took the beast out for a gentle run up the A3, off down the A272 through the back roads down to Fareham then onto the M27 and A3 back home. I think it was about 50 mile round trip.

It's great to drive now, the engine is smoothe and quite. It's nice to be able to use it with confidence now, knowing it won't cut out and stall at traffic lights or junctions anymore.

There's loads of power in it now too. It cruises effortlessly and picks up very quickly when you step on it. I went up a few steep hills too and even there it will accelerate easily and cleanly up the hill, no more hesitation or bogging down.

It sounds great when given some stick too, lovely growling burble that only a V8 can give. Before, it was very rough and a bit gutless.

And one of this things best features now work aswell! The hidden headlights. The vacuum system has been rebuilt and the vac reservoires now hold vacuum. So well in fact that the doors stay down for a week without the engine having been run! They operate properly now once the headlights are switched on there's a clunk as the doors open. Theyre great, a bit over complicated really when an electric motor would have done but now it's all working great!

Overall, I'm well chuffed with it. Expensive, yes, but there's nothing that comes close to cars like this. They just feel a million dollars to be in and to drive. I'm still glad I bought it and persevered with it's faults.

The plan now is to just keep using it. Once the weather improves I'll get it out most weekends and maybe do a few shows. Hopefully it'll behave now and I can stop spending money!

Pics to follow shortly.

Having experienced the horror of being told that an engine rebuild is needed on your new pride and joy myself, I commend you for getting it done. Having it back and using the thing makes it all feel worth it.

Top barge, I need to get myself a slice of Americana one day.

Thanks for the comments and all the 'likes'!

Next thing I need to do is get it out into an empty car park or big layby and get some good quality pics for the agreed value insurance. There wasn't really anywhere to pull over today that wasn't a wet muddy mess.