Huge yank shite - odd jobs.

danthecapriman

What fuel are you using Dan? I wonder if you have picked up some with a higher Ethanol content ? I tend to use super unleaded these days in my bikes as that is largely ethanol free

Usually both! If I can get super I use that, but normal 95 unleaded if not which is what it's got in it now. It's probably about every other fill up I get super unleaded, roughly.

What's in it now has only been in the tank about a month so it's not that old.

How about one of these fuel injection kits from the states? No inlet manifold mods they just bolt on in place of the carb. It might even get your mpg into double digits.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.speedwaymotors.com/amp/shop/460-ford-big-block-v8-fast-fuel-injection-kits~8704-109-2711

Good idea, but not for me. I like carbs, and besides that it should work perfectly well with a carb. They're a lot of money just to solve an issue with a bit of dirt. Even if the carb was fucked and needed changing it'd be massively cheaper than an injection kit.

I'm a bit of a 'keep it original as possible' sort too so I just wouldn't want that set up in my engine bay tbh!

Mpg doesn't bother me at all anyway, you don't buy a car like this if that's any concern.

I've spoken to the mechanic and told them what was going on and what I've done, and he agrees it's most likely carb flooding and needs a good clean out, maybe a recon kit for the carb.

Just have to see what they find now when it gets opened up.

Late to this one - but I remember my old man rebuilding the Cortina carb on the dining table at home as a nipper...... the tiniest speck of dirt was causing the jet issues and it ran like a dog....... the speck really was barely visible too. Annoyed the hell out of my dad at the time.

Another who's 'been there' with a car and just walked away. Returning to a none runner after an even longer period of inactivity is the most depressing thing I've ever had with old motors.... I ended up both pissed at myself and the car because of my own pig headedness.

Chin up fella - clean out - specks away and you'll be wafting along waving (and looking down upon) at the commoners in no time

I hit it with a spanner and within seconds it was running normally and well. Drove it down to the garage and it was perfect all the way there.

It still needs looking at though as it's bound to do it again at some point but at least I didn't end up getting stuck in traffic cutting out and blocking the roads.

This sounds oh-so-familiar.  If the Edelbrock carb is anything like any carb I have worked on in the past (and it can't be *that* different) where the needle valve seats up into a machined orifice is a vulnerability when petrol starts evaporating and leaving behind what looks like a mixture of high-VOC-varnish and honey.  The needle can get stuck either closed, open or anywhere in between.  I would regularly have the carb top to bits, clean it all out in a parts washer and it run beautifully, until the next time it needs to be left parked up.

The fix... drain the carburettor when it's not in use.  Most carbs have a float chamber drain plug somewhere.  Drain it out and tip the 200ml of fuel back into the tank.  The fuel pump will easily re-fill it next time you go to start the car, even if it takes a couple of extra seconds winding the engine over.

The fix... drain the carburettor when it's not in use.  Most carbs have a float chamber drain plug somewhere.  Drain it out and tip the 200ml of fuel back into the tank.  The fuel pump will easily re-fill it next time you go to start the car, even if it takes a couple of extra seconds winding the engine over.

If it's got a leccy fuel pump then just pull the fuse & let it idle till it stops.

I'll have to do something like draining the float chamber or similar, if it's going to be layed up over winter. Either that or run it up to temperature once every week or so just to keep fresh clean fuel flowing through it.

"Good idea, but not for me. I like carbs, and besides that it should work perfectly well with a carb."

After the last few pages this must be quote of the day

I know I know!!

Stupid as it sounds I do like carbs. I've never had carb issues with my other old cars beside routine maintenance. The Capri's original carb I rebuilt a few times before I replaced it for a Weber. I even did a filthy old Pierburg on an old Volvo with no issues and all of them worked perfectly afterwards.

It's just this bloody thing!

Makes me wonder if the original Autolite carb this car should have is problematic?

I wonder if you have picked up some with a higher Ethanol content ?

You have ethanol in the petrol in the UK now ?.............There is your problem right there..........it causes no end of problems with carbs, mostly on smaller stuff like lawnmowers, chainsaws etc. but will happily gum up a larger vehicle carb if left standing too long.

Ethanol free gasoline is available over here at the pumps (except California of course :mad:) but it's pricey, for older vehicles with carbs. However even in Cal. they recognize the problem exists and ethanol free gas is available from garden equipment stores in 1 to 25 ltr tin cans, to prevent having to strip the weed whacker down every six months when you have to use it and of coarse for garden maintenance companies too, but the price is totally beyond reason.............about 15 quid a gallon from Home Depot IIRC.  

I'll find out soon enough, but varnishing or sticky shit from the fuel sounds plausible. Especially so given it freed off after a whack from the spanner which suggests it's unlikely something more serious.

Maybe there's some sticky crap inside and the fuel level has got high causing the float to get jammed at the top allowing shit loads of fuel to enter all the time.

It's always had fuel filters fitted so I can't see the problem being dirt related. Last year when the tank had to be replaced the fuel filter did catch a hell of a lot of brown rusty sludge and particles though.

It's just odd that it's this that's suffered. I'd have thought a big carb like this would be less susceptible to it and smaller ones like my Capri and Transit would be worse but I've never had any trouble with carbs on anything before now!?

I'm fairly certain though that a good deal of my troubles come from lack of use more than anything. Looking at the MOT certificate I've only done 500 or so miles this year! I need to use this (and all the others!) much more really.

Weirdly there is nothing that suffers more from lack of use than old yanks,

despite they usually just fire up even after decades of being dormant.

However, a sticking needle valve is not unheard of even on regularly used septic chod.

Has the float level been properly adjusted to begin with?

Have you done it, or those so called experts?

Which carb is fitted atm?

Last week.......See these here, two carbs, both off Honda engines. One is 8hp and the other off a 5.5hp, a generator and a water pump.

post-3699-0-57518700-1506440993_thumb.jpg

Not worth fucking about with when replacements are available from Amazon for around $20 a pop. All the tiny galleries are blocked with shit that can only be drilled out, and that liquid is water, which is what the ethanol turns back into..............Oh, and it perishes some plastics and rubber too unless specially made to withstand ethanol.............It's a real pain in the arse. 

post-3699-0-67822500-1506442464_thumb.jpg

Weirdly there is nothing that suffers more from lack of use than old yanks,

despite they usually just fire up even after decades of being dormant.

However, a sticking needle valve is not unheard of even on regularly used septic chod.

Has the float level been properly adjusted to begin with?

Have you done it, or those so called experts?

Which carb is fitted atm?

As far as I know, the original Autolite carb was replaced after the car was dragged out of storage in the states. I think it was fucked so the guy I bought the car from replaced it with an Edelbrock replacemen, no idea which exact carb it is though.

It's this one.

23483379578_72844cc475_o.jpgIMG_0703 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

It's always worked ok since I've had it anyway.

I've never opened it up or interfered with it beyond setting mixture and idle. When the engine was rebuilt the carb was declared fit for reuse, it's not that old either and won't have seen a great deal of action.

It's been spot on up to now since the engine was rebuilt and drives brilliantly normally, loads of power, no flat spots or anything. I've no complaints put it that way!

Fast forward to the recent MOT, it passed the visual emissions test easily and the car ran and drove perfectly to the test centre and during the test. It was parked outside, I went out to drive it home and it was like someone had flicked a switch. It wouldn't start and just kept churning over stinking of fuel.

Eventually got it going by flooring the throttle and cranking it over but it ran awfully and drove just as bad all the way home. Very obviously over rich given the stink and soot coming from the exhaust.

I just can't fathom why all of a sudden for no reason it's done it. Weird. That's what's pissed me off so much as it was going brilliantly until then.

Quite likely, or the same heat freed up some crap (like refinery sand) from the line in the engine bay and that got caught again in the seat of the float valve, which a bit of percussive maintenance removed.

I would see what Edelbrock suggest to clean the thing out with, most likely just standard off-the-shelf spray cleaner or dip if it persists.

Phil

It's a 1406 Performer.

There is nothing wrong with it I bet.

The valve needle dropped and that was it.

That the hemmer therapy worked immediately is proof enough for me.

Are we currently blowing a minor niggle way out of proportion?

Possibly. Possibly not.

Just given it's previous history it's pissed me right off. I'd rather it was right though as it's a right twat to drive when it's playing hell. Plus, as you might of gathered, I'm incredibly anal about this car given my investment in it. It is literally the most expensive thing I own or have ever owned so it being nothing short of spot dick on is unacceptable to me!!

For a more sensible answer, the carb got lovely & warm while running stationary for the MOT. That heat softened the varnish (maybe on the float pivot) and it got sticky.

Good job it'll never have to endure another MOT again then!! I knew the government were to blame for all this, those bastards!

I'm with Junkman on this MOT business, fuck it off!

Drive it more then, or it'll just keep varnishing up. Obviously to do so you'll need to become a pimp to buy fuel, but the car suits it so it has to be done.

I'll have to I think. It's barely been used this year really.

I love driving it too so god knows why I don't use it more, it just seems to have been left and forgotten this year.