Huge yank shite - odd jobs.

danthecapriman

Great progress! Looking forward to a vid of the vacuum operated reveal of the front lights!

Exactly how big is the engine? And did it still have any anti smog stuff on it?

EDIT- it's definitely money well spent. Cars like these are good for the soul.

Oh there will be no using the vacuum reveal lights, now they are fixed I can't run the risk of breaking them! I could have done a vid of them before but since only one worked it looked like the car was winking at you.

I will get a vid of it up once it's back.

I wouldn't mind having a look for a dash cam to make a little vid of it just driving around. Should be entertaining, with tyre squeal etc.

The engine is a Ford 429ci V8, which is a 7.0 litre! I think it works out at about 7033cc. There's actually a formula to work out from the old cubic inch size.

There's not really any anti smog stuff on it, I think it's just slightly too old to of had all that on from new. The only thing it has is a pcv valve to circulate smelly oil vapours from the engine crank case back into the induction system to be burnt with the fuel/air mix instead of just venting into the atmosphere. But that's all.

I think all the emission control crap started the following year?

Once it's home I'm going to add up all the receipts, purchase price, shipping etc and see how much it now owes me. Probably a very bad idea but I'd like to know!

Edit: here's a CI to L calculator with the formula for anyone who cares.

http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/cubic-inches-to-liters.htm

1 cubic inch = 0.0164 litres apparently.

• 1 month later...

It's that time of the month again when another bill drops through the letter box.

This months work, the heads are both now fully reconditioned and painted, then bolted onto the assembled engine block with new valves, rocker gear, pushrods etc etc.

The engine bay has been completely stripped and then degreased and cleaned out.

And now it's reached a milestone where no more bits are being removed! Instead the engine is now back in the cleaned up engine bay! Yay!

Aswell as the engine going back in, the reconditioned radiator has been reinstalled along with new hoses. New fuel pipes/hoses installed and all the wiring etc put back. The carb has it's new (correct) gaskets and they even bothered to repair the exhaust manifolds heat shields instead of just ripping them off and throwing them away!

The engine has been spun over and does build oil pressure. No running yet though.

Because this thing now has an aftermarket carb it makes several of the small vacuum hoses redundant. Who ever swapped the carb had then simply left all the vacuum hoses that were no longer needed wherever they fell on top of the engine or hanging in the air down the side, since they were all still connected at the other ends that means yet more vacuum leaks!

So all the engine vacuum hoses have have been tested, new hoses used on the ones still in use and the old un needed ones have been removed and the vacuum take offs on the engine capped off.

On top of that, it's had a load more engine painting done, even the bolt heads have been painted after they were tightened up!

So it's getting there now. Still lots to do and then once it's running it'll be getting an MOT so it'll be a while yet before it comes back home sadly but on the plus side, it's free undercover heated storage for most of winter all the time it's away being fixed.

Good news Dan.

I am trying to push my mate with the Lincoln to get his engine back in - I am betting yours will be up and running long before his though.

It'll probably be running first but I'll have to wait 4 or 5 months before it can be driven properly because of the shit weather and road salt you guys don't have to deal with! Roll on spring!

It'll probably be running first but I'll have to wait 4 or 5 months before it can be driven properly because of the shit weather and road salt you guys don't have to deal with! Roll on spring!

Don't be so sure mate, the weather is brutal here at the moment, I might have to wear long sleeves... it's 85 at the moment but expected to drop to a brass monkey tear inducingly cold 56 overnight. Brrrrrrrrrrrr

The engine is a Ford 429ci V8, which is a 7.0 litre! I think it works out at about 7033cc. There's actually a formula to work out from the old cubic inch size.

1 cubic inch = 16.3874 cubic centimetres, I have that in my head in lieu of a life.

Example: You have a 350 SBC

350 ci x 16.3874 = 5736 ccm. Depending on whether they are taxed for engine displacement or not, people call this either a 5.7 or a 5.8 litre.

Divided by 8 = 717 ccm per cylinder

This can be verified as follows:

A 350 SBC has 4.00" bore and 3.48" stroke.

Hence:

101.6 mm x 88.4 mm

A = R square x Pi = 50.8 mm x 50.8 mm = 2580.64 mm square x 3.14159 = 8107.32 mm square

8107.32 mm square x 88.4 mm = 716687 cubic mm, so 717 ccm, quod erat demonstrandum.

And the saddest thing of all is that I calculated that in my head. I'm not autistic.

I'm just doing this kind of shit for 35 years now. They call it "overqualified".

1 cubic inch = 16.3874 cubic centimetres, I have that in my head in lieu of a life.

350 ci x 16.3874 = 5736 ccm. Depending on whether they are taxed for engine displacement or not, people call this either a 5.7 or a 5.8 litre.

Hence:

101.6 mm x 88.4 mm

A = R square x Pi = 50.8 mm x 50.8 mm = 2580.64 mm square x 3.14159 = 8107.32 mm square

8107.32 mm square x 88.4 mm = 716687 cubic mm, so 717 ccm, quod erat demonstrandum.

And the saddest thing of all is that I calculated that in my head. I'm not autistic.

I'm just doing this kind of shit for 35 years now. They call it "overqualified".

TEH Junkman... Rainman, have they ever been seen in the same room at the same time?  Make what you will of it...

Hence:

101.6 mm x 88.4 mm

My head hurts!!

I get the first part, but the second is way over my head. I've always been shit at maths.

For what it's worth Junkman, anyone who says that's being overqualified is seriously missing a trick. More people should have that sort of skills and know how.

If I can't remember the Cubic Inch to Cubic Centimetre ratio, I just think of the Cadillac Eldorado: 500 cubic Inch = 8.2 Litres.

(Thank you 1972 edition of Observers book of Automobiles)

Double the 500 to make it easy; 1000 Cubic Inches = 16.4 Litres or 1 Cubic Inch = 16.4cc

I do stuff like this in my head on long journeys. A favourite is "does the piston travel further (up and down) than the car travels (along) & in  which gear?

I don't think it's lack of ability or intelligence when it comes to working out mathematical stuff (maybe it is, I don't know?) but, with me at least I just can't be arsed thinking about it! I'm very lazy mentally!

I work out square roots... and cube roots... only when I'm bored :) Glad I'm not the only insane bugger on here.

I really want to see/hear this running, it's great when it starts coming back together instead of more and MORE things coming apart.

I really can't wait to see and hear it running either! It seems like so long ago I last drove it and even then when it was fucked it was great fun to burble around in.

I suppose, technically, this thing will be 'new' again when it comes home so it'll need running in again? Anyone got any tips for this?

I know driving like a twat is out of the question (I don't tend to anyway) but what about oil and filter change intervals? Anything likely to need re-torquing down after x amount of miles etc? I've never had to run anything in before!

Anyway, I thought being insane was an entry requirement for this place!?

I suppose, technically, this thing will be 'new' again when it comes home so it'll need running in again? Anyone got any tips for this?

I know driving like a twat is out of the question (I don't tend to anyway) but what about oil and filter change intervals? Anything likely to need re-torquing down after x amount of miles etc? I've never had to run anything in before!

Anyway, I thought being insane was an entry requirement for this place!?

I would ask the garage who are doing the work if it needs any running in fettling/oil and filter change. Maybe try and get it thrown in due to the ££££ its no doubt cost you.

I've heard of two ways to break-in engines like these: One is to drive mostly highway speeds, avoiding constant speed for too long, I.e. in light traffic so you can vary your speed for the first 500 miles. Then change the oil.

Another, which is anecdotal, concerns an old-school mechanic who used to let a freshly rebuilt engine idle for 45 minutes, then shut it off and change the oil.

Maybe some combination of both, unless the shop who did your rebuild tells you otherwise. I'd trust their recommendations snce they have obviously been in business long enough to see what works and what doesn't.

Some bloke on teh internet sez...&c.

Thanks for the input gents.

I will take the advice of the engine builder and ask questions once I go to pick the car up. It's just good to have the opinions of some of you more experienced guys aswell. Like I said, I've never had to run in a new engine before.

It's not going to do any harm avoiding use for a few months though will it?

Reason being, if I pick it up in the middle of winter, I don't really want to use the car in shitty weather or take it out on salty winter roads. Or, should I fire it up and let it run on the drive for half an hour every weekend? Then once it's spring get it out on the road as much as possible.

Or, should I just stop being a pussy and keep driving it on the road through winter anyway, just keep it as clean and salt free as possible?

Driving is best. But, as you say, keep it clean and avoid the times when salt is an issue. Water alone won't harm it really. Running the engine on the drive is better than not running the engine obviously (providing it gets properly warm) but nothing beats a decent longish drive out to keep things working.

IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes!!

Just had news... It's a runner!!!

All engine parts hooked up, all fluids filled, classic running in oil in the sump, all vac and fuel lines etc done and it's even got a full set of new drive belts and various other odd bits too.

Interestingly, part of the gearbox kick down mechanism was totally missing! One of the mounting brackets apparently. Can't say I even noticed that. But they've made a new one up from scratch and fitted that too.

I'm getting excited, can't be long now.

I'm not disputing your maths or logic mate, but no-one I've ever met in 25 years of arseing about with yanks has ever referred to an SBC350 as a 5.8

I'm not disputing your maths or logic mate, but no-one I've ever met in 25 years of arseing about with yanks has ever referred to an SBC350 as a 5.8

Just go to Germany. Their taxation is for every 100cc or a fraction thereof, thus they call it a 5.8, because that's what they pay tax for.

Correction: Were taxed for every 100cc or a fraction thereof. I think they also succumbed to this OMGCO2 horseshit now.

Just go to Germany. Their taxation is for every 100cc or a fraction thereof, thus they call it a 5.8, because that's what they pay tax for.

Correction: Were taxed for every 100cc or a fraction thereof. I think they also succumbed to this OMGCO2 horseshit now.

Hadn't thought of that mate. I had to jump through similar hoops with my Spitfire as Albingia had no data on it. When I was posted there, I didn't bother registering my yank cars on the German system (it was an option for us & and it made life easier if you had, say, Civic or a Passat. Mainstream stuff, you know?) I left the yank stuff as UK-registered and accepted the hit of having to bring them back to UK once a year for their MoT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a tragedy, no pictures, no video, nothing. I R dissapoint :(

I apologise to all for the lack of pics, it's not the easiest thing to photograph where it is. But if your all really really good, there should be a photographic update within the next couple of months featuring this beast and autoshites very own Mr Eddy Ramrod! If everything goes to plan of course!

Oh that is great news. So it looks like December is the month to get old dollops back in the road. Come on, how much - I need cheering up :)

'Tis' indeed the season to get old heaps back onto the queens highway!

Right, just for xtriple, I've added up all the bills to date.

You may want to sit down for this.

It's upto a whopping £13250! And there's still a bit left to do yet.

Now, this isn't the shite way, at all. But I honestly couldn't be happier with this car and I don't begrudge paying a penny of it to get this thing back to it's current state. Xtriple will know exactly what I'm talking about! The rest of you will probably just think I'm a complete idiot!