Petrol

CortinaDave

Well for once I have to say petrol prices are bordering on reasonable! i filled up in Dundee last night at 86.9p/litre :D Woman in the shop said they could afford to go a fair bit cheaper as well, and that the supermarkets weren't passing on as much of the oil price fall as they could be.Wonder if it will go under 80p?

Of course us septics have no clue what expensive petrol really is (and tbh I can’t remember what a litre is) but 3 months ago I was paying $4.50 per US gallon, today mostly around $2.50. Last weekend I was in Boston, MA and saw it as low as $2.07 per gallon. Still buttons compared to Europe, but we still complain. Has the drop in the UK been so dramatic?

One good argument for high fuel tax is that wild variations in the wholesale price of crude oil are less noticeable. Lowest price in Jersey's about 74.9 for unleaded at the moment, but the tax:wholesale:profit ratio is considerably different to the UK. It's just gonna sky it again when OPEC decide that production's too high...

frmo the pre budget report today - "Mr Darling said he was going to offset the VAT reduction by increasing duties on petrol, alcohol and tobacco "by an amount which should keep the overall cost to consumers the same this year".So we're getting humped again. The fact he won't say how much he's putting it up suggests maximum humping of the motorist. I bet a good 10p a litre rise.Then when the oil price goes back up - we're super-screwed to the wall with £1.50 a litre petrol no doubt

Thats exactly it. And you wont even get a saving on your plasma tellys anyway because the hauliers will up the price to deliver it to the shop when they have to pay yet more fuel tax thus negating the VAT saving.Why is it so hard for the thickos to understand that putting petrol up costs everyone more and means we will spend less on the high street.And he says to pay for all this generosity we get much higher taxes in a couple of years time. Someone shoot the man please!

Of course us septics have no clue what expensive petrol really is (and tbh I can’t remember what a litre is) but 3 months ago I was paying $4.50 per US gallon, today mostly around $2.50. Last weekend I was in Boston, MA and saw it as low as $2.07 per gallon. Still buttons compared to Europe, but we still complain. Has the drop in the UK been so dramatic?

The drop percentage-wise hasn't been quite so dramatic, but once you've converted from $ per US gallon to £ per litre it's roughly the same price drop, just we're far higher taxed on the stuff to begin with.Put it another way, at its highest we were paying the equivalent of £6.90 a US gallon for petrol, but we're now paying about $5.20. In June during a trip to the far north of the Scottish Highlands, diesel was the equivalent of $8.20 a gallon!

Thats exactly it. And you wont even get a saving on your plasma tellys anyway because the hauliers will up the price to deliver it to the shop when they have to pay yet more fuel tax thus negating the VAT saving.Why is it so hard for the thickos to understand that putting petrol up costs everyone more and means we will spend less on the high street.And he says to pay for all this generosity we get much higher taxes in a couple of years time. Someone shoot the man please!

Well said that man! 'New' Labour have ruined the economy of our Country, I for one turn a rather fetching shade of red when they keep bleating on about "it's a Global problem" or "it all started in America with sub prime lending", and a complete denial of the truly horrendous debt this Country and society own.All thanks to Grim Gordon and his equally poor replacement, Captain Darling :roll:

The cost of petrol will go down due to VAT going down - therefore the fuel duty will rise to cover the lost VAT, but you won't notice the difference when you actually pay for it. Some with alcohol and tobacco. This probably won't bother shiters, but the proposed car tax changes to post 2001 cars have been cut by a lot - no more of this £400 a year bollox. So it's not too bad after all, unless of course you're on £150k a year!

At least VAT is going down for you guys.VAT is going up here. €0.08/litre on petrol too. And now the government is going to help themselves to €200 per year from your pay if your employer provides you with a parking space at work. The tree-hugging green party is gonna have the whole country walking to work one of these days.The lunatics are well and truly running the asylum... :roll:

And now the government is going to help themselves to €200 per year from your pay if your employer provides you with a parking space at work.

Interesting, does that apply to the whole country or only urban areas over a certain size? I think Nottingham are trying to do something similar at the moment.

Urban areas over a certain size.Hmm, I just googled the Nottingham plan - looks like the Irish government lifted the idea from them:http://nottingham-libdems.org.uk/news/0 ... _levy.html

We are supporting WPL here in Nottingham - but we certainly acknowledge it is far from a perfect scheme.It's unique. Nowhere else in the world has anything quite like it.

:roll: :roll:The green loonies here have made some provision in the budget for you to get a rebate cheque if you renounce your dirty old ways and buy a bike to get to work.Of course the problem with cycling anywhere is that the roads are so shit and drivers are so bad, you'd either spend your life replacing pothole-buckled wheels or experience our third-world health care system after being run over buy some unaccompanied learner driver.

Mr Darling said he was going to offset the VAT reduction by increasing duties on petrol, alcohol and tobacco "by an amount which should keep the overall cost to consumers the same this year

oh FFS - new clothes/plasma tv's/dvd's etc I can do without - petrol I can't.wanker.
Indeed. Petrol, alcohol and tobacco are the only things, bar food, that I regularly buy. This budget will be a disaster.However, look on the bright side - car prices are plummeting.

The cost of petrol will go down due to VAT going down - therefore the fuel duty will rise to cover the lost VAT, but you won't notice the difference when you actually pay for it. Some with alcohol and tobacco.

At the moment, yes. But the sneaky git has implemented the duty rises as PERMANENT, when the VAT cut is only temporary.Therefor when VAT goes back up again in a year's time.. the extra duty stays and Darling gets that extra wedge he's been trying to shaft us with for so long by introducing it through the back door.Its more smoke and mirrors.

Urban areas over a certain size.Hmm, I just googled the Nottingham plan - looks like the Irish government lifted the idea from them:http://nottingham-libdems.org.uk/news/0 ... _levy.html

We are supporting WPL here in Nottingham - but we certainly acknowledge it is far from a perfect scheme.It's unique. Nowhere else in the world has anything quite like it.

:roll: :roll:The green loonies here have made some provision in the budget for you to get a rebate cheque if you renounce your dirty old ways and buy a bike to get to work.Of course the problem with cycling anywhere is that the roads are so shit and drivers are so bad, you'd either spend your life replacing pothole-buckled wheels or experience our third-world health care system after being run over buy some unaccompanied learner driver.
Great! As a Nottinghamshire resident, I wonder if they'll just assume I have a parking space at work if they introduce it. 100 employees on each shift, 22 parking spaces first come first served. Bet they sting us all too :(I did start riding my pushbike to work, when I realised they weren't going to provide any facilities (changing area, secure bike storage) yet were reaping the benefits with not needing to sort out parking spaces, I stopped. And started double-parking behind managers. It really wasn't worth the hassle with dark mornings and nights, turning up to work soaked in the rain, dealing with idiot drivers who think overtaking you immediately prior to a left turn is a good idea and generally getting annoyed every day.

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/wtwpl/ ... _work_.htm

It is a charge on the organisation, not the employee, and it is up to the organisation whether or not (and, if so, how) it chooses to pass the charge on.

Sounds reasonable to me, seems like an attempt to make amends for years of shortsighted planning policies intended to supply limitless free parking spaces with no concern for how the roads were going to cope with all the generated traffic.

Definitely hear what you say about bike facilities. Ideally you need undercover bike lockers, multiple showers, towels and somewhere to let damp clothes air, but hardly anybody provides this. I'd like to see a scheme where if this stuff was provided, no/reduced WPL would be payable.

The drop percentage-wise hasn't been quite so dramatic, but once you've converted from $ per US gallon to £ per litre it's roughly the same price drop, just we're far higher taxed on the stuff to begin with.

Put it another way, at its highest we were paying the equivalent of £6.90 a US gallon for petrol, but we're now paying about $5.20. In June during a trip to the far north of the Scottish Highlands, diesel was the equivalent of $8.20 a gallon!

Fuel prices were as high as US$9.xx at one point of here this year in Holland for a US Gallon! :evil:

I'll tell you what - for a Nation supposedly full of "tight wads" - the Dutch ("short arms and deep pockets" is the phrase round here :)...)certainly like getting stuffed up the arse when it comes to paying for things!!!

It's around 1.70 for a half pint of lager (25cl) and I can get a whole pint (50cl) in Wetherspoons for 1.65 in Galashiels!!!

So much for cheap booze... :roll:

You'd need about 2 Euros to the Pound to make sense of the pricing structures here for many items...even a visit to the scrappies here would make you wince! :shock: