Disco Fever

mat_the_cat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

You'll notice the quality* repair on the alpine window in the photo above - unfortunately this was less than watertight so I had to carry out a proper repair. Discoveries are not always great at keeping the rain out, but I've managed it on the green one so will do my best on this too!

I didn't have any sheet metal left of a suitable size, so had to improvise:

post-5223-0-47179300-1431286861_thumb.jpg

I laid on a thick bed of Sikaflex all round the hole, as the roof skin was very distorted, then riveted on my plate.

post-5223-0-03163200-1431286932_thumb.jpg

Fixed!

You'll notice the quality* repair on the alpine window in the photo above - unfortunately this was less than watertight so I had to carry out a proper repair. Discoveries are not always great at keeping the rain out, but I've managed it on the green one so will do my best on this too!

I didn't have any sheet metal left of a suitable size, so had to improvise:

DSC_5981.JPG

I laid on a thick bed of Sikaflex all round the hole, as the roof skin was very distorted, then riveted on my plate.

DSC_5982.JPG

Fixed!

I've taxed worse than that!

Lookin supershed:)

I don't think crumpled roof and bent doors are MOT failures. If the doors are there though they do need to open and close from the inside & outside. However if my interpretation of the rules is correct if they're not there they're not testable, like the front windscreen ;)

Windscreen is OK now :-) Plus all doors do open, although panel gaps are bad even by Discovery standards! The main problem would be fuel and emissions related as the petrol pump isn't working and when it was, it was running incredibly rich so I suspected the fuel pressure regulator had failed. And running it from a Calor bottle is probably a no-no...

The cats were removed before the MOT requirements changed - you used to be able to get away with not having a cat so long as the emissions met the requirements, which they did when running on LPG as it's a cleaner fuel. So I'd be looking at a few hundred quid for an exhaust plus cats as the rear section found its way onto the green one :-(

Still, booking it for a test would be cheap, and would at least let me take it for a spin! If I mangage that I'll do my very best to find a Discovery 4 to park alongside.

As promised, here is how it looks now!

post-5223-0-03634500-1431553249_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-36883900-1431552976_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-24670300-1431553092_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-16118800-1431553398_thumb.jpg

Engine and transmission-wise though, it's excellent, and gas will be kinder to the engine in terms of cold starts. Hopefully will give a good few years of service going out into the forest and carrying logs...

• 2 weeks later...

Today I put some paint on it! It's not quite an invisible repair, but better than nothing. I forgot to take a before picture so this will have to do:

post-5223-0-61047900-1432583177_thumb.jpg

I didn't bother removing the rust, just painted over it which is most unlike me  :shock:

post-5223-0-40144400-1432583332_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-69159500-1432583251_thumb.jpg

To be honest it was partly an experiment, as I've been using Zinga for a few years and been pretty impressed with it, but only really used it on clean steel so you'd not necessarily expect problems from *any* half-decent coating. So I figured if I painted straight over rust, if it is truly an alternative for hot dip galvanising (it claims to be, with a zinc content of 96% once the solvent has evaporated) then it should stop any existing rust from getting worse. At least until the zinc has all been oxidised, which should take years.

I've also worked it into the roof seams, which have cracked and started to rust. If it does stop anything from deteriorating, it suggests that it would be useful for working between spot welded seams which have started to rust. I'll keep an eye on things so watch this space...

And while I'm on the subject of sheds, I've carried out a quality repair on the window of our caravan which we use as a wood shed:

post-5223-0-95032000-1432583401_thumb.jpg

Shitefest accommodation anyone? :lol:

• 3 months later...

Update time! I've been making use of the recent dry spell (3 days so far, the longest since June!) collecting wood. There are several piles of felled and cut up timber, which need splitting and moving under cover before they get wet again.

post-5223-0-87376200-1441656807_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-81834500-1441656739_thumb.jpg

All loaded up, but barely a dent on the pile :-( Looks like I'll need maybe 20 or 30 trips. I've split two loads tonight, then turned my attention to the ICE...

The modernish Kenwood which was in there to start with was not ideal, as whenever I disconnected the battery it would lose the radio presets. So I was after something with analogue tuning, a tape deck or aux in so I could use my phone, and ideally a physical on/off switch so I could wire it to a permanently live supply without any standby drain.

So I looked in my radio pile (does everyone have such a stash, removed from cars 'just in case'?) and bingo!

post-5223-0-58419300-1441656639_thumb.jpg

Only a minor thing, but it helps to listen to music while I work :-)

• 1 month later...

I'm getting there with the wood now!

12053163_10153295457387572_1819555412_n.

I've been keeping an eye out for a rear door window plus driver's side quarter glass, and the latter came up on eBay recently for £20 delivered. So I decided to replace the PVC sheeting currently keeping (most of) the rain out:

post-5223-0-75735700-1444333257_thumb.jpg

To be fair, the 'repair' has lasted over 5 years - even the original tape has remained sticky! But the sheet has a few pinholes in it, so had to go.

So, after a bit of fiddling and heaving, job done!

post-5223-0-74020700-1444333304_thumb.jpg

One of the hinges has failed on the rear door, and I'd imagine the window is a bit of a pain so a complete rear door might be the quickest fix. Found one locally but they want £75 for it - ideally I want a tatty one which is less desirable to anyone else!

I can't believe I missed this first time around, top thread.

If you do get it back on the road, are you anywhere near one of the, blinged up, Land Rover dealers, just to pop in and ask for something trivial like an interior light bulb whilst parking next to the most expensive thing they have on the forecourt.

Update time! I've been making use of the recent dry spell (3 days so far, the longest since June!) collecting wood. There are several piles of felled and cut up timber, which need splitting and moving under cover before they get wet again.

post-5223-0-87376200-1441656807.jpg

You appear to have a small supernova happening in the back of the Landy - pray what light is that? Alpha Centauri B?

Ah well, if you're working at night you need to be able to see what you're doing :-) Head torch isn't ideal when splitting wood, as when you swing the axe it has the tendency to shake it loose. Lana is getting into photography, and she took this one a few weeks ago:

post-5223-0-67560400-1444338338_thumb.jpg

Mounting it inside means I get a fair bit of illumination in the back as well...

As for what it is, it's just a standard 55 watt worklamp, but modified to use a 100 watt HID unit. Given that a 'normal' 35 watt HID lamp is noticeably brighter than a 55 watt halogen bulb, this gives...erm...adequate illumination!

disco 2 rear door hinges are the same; in terms of fittement - fitted one to my dick'so - only difference is is, the hinge's pin is not exposed on the disco 2... it looks like this is getting nearer, n nearer 'road going' fettle status' if yr considering a whole new rear door; if it were me n it was just a fire wood lugger, id pop rivet a bit of 'cut to size' galvanised sheet/Perspex etc.... still you should be able to get a cheaper good rear door; lots of these 'first shape one' being broken due to cab rot....

it looks like this is getting nearer, n nearer 'road going' fettle status' if yr considering a whole new rear door; if it were me n it was just a fire wood lugger, id pop rivet a bit of 'cut to size' galvanised sheet/Perspex etc....

It's partly down to the fact I'm doing a fair bit of reversing to load/unload, as one area doesn't have space to turn around in. (I suppose I could clear a bit more, but that's more work!) So not being able to see through the back is a pain although Perspex would do. Plus, as you say, it all nudges it back towards being within fettling distance of being roadworthy...

Good to know about the hinges, but will ideally find a cheap door with them still attached.

There's a Disco breaker at Newcastle on Clun who's pretty sound,  I need to ask him for a headlight surround anyway so I'll ask if he's got any tatty back doors knocking about.  Are you down this way anytime soon?

That would be great, cheers. But best not to go ahead with anything right now though...cash may be rather tight all of a sudden!

• 3 months later...

After 8 months here is a little bit of an update regarding the roof seam rust:

post-5223-0-74920800-1453238978_thumb.jpg

Absolutely no trace at all, despite the rust undoubtedly being further into the seam than I've been able to work the Zinga. So it does seem to be working well as a sacrificial anodic coating, and stopping the rust from growing. The only problem I've had with it is that etch primer reacts with it and causes it to blister.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I've been using this to collect some wood that I'd felled and cut up early last year. Hopefully once Spring arrives it can dry out and be put under cover.

post-5223-0-96629000-1454267946_thumb.jpg

I think I may be over the maximum payload!

But it still took 5 trips to end up with this lot.

post-5223-0-49278300-1454268015_thumb.jpg

As a reward for all the hard work I've bought a cheap rear door for it on eBay, so I'll hopefully collect that some time this week and get it slightly more watertight...

Door collection is tomorrow, but in the meantime I've been making a change to the fuel system. Instead of the 3.9 kg cylinder tucked under the bonnet...

post-5223-0-41732300-1454705669_thumb.jpg

...I wanted to run it from a larger cylinder as the little ones are hugely expensive to fill in comparison. I also wanted something a little more permanent than a jubilee clipped connection from the flexible hose to the rigid pipework.

Trouble is, anything made for the task (i.e. for an LPG forklift) was more expense than I wanted to pay. I'd be looking at £60-70 just in fittings! All I really wanted was something to go from a W20 gas thread (like M20 but with a different pitch on one side of the thread to the other) to an 8 mm pipe, but everything I could easily find was designed to go to a domestic low pressure vapour regulator.

However, I had a couple of threaded T pieces in my 'it'll come in handy box'.

post-5223-0-84292200-1454705587_thumb.jpg

Handily an 8 mm pipe was a reasonable fit down the middle of this, so a little bit of soldering later I had my coupling sorted!

post-5223-0-11689900-1454705505_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still no MOT, but I gave it an oil change this evening. Along with its two other RV8 stable mates!

post-5223-0-43858000-1461789344_thumb.jpg

I treated the green one to a genuine LR filter, not because I have any doubts about the quality of the Mahle filters but it's had genuine ones since new so seems a shame to stop the trend. Lidl's finest oil which seemed good value, with Wilko's 20W50 for the Stellar seeing as it has the earlier type of oil pump.

I couldn't resist the temptation of having all three running together!

I'm probably a bit anal for bothering to change the oil, but it's been in there since 2010 and it does plenty of cold starts/short journeys now!

• 8 months later...

I had to borrow the battery charger from the green Discovery this evening, and I was shocked at how it's sunk into the undergrowth! The video above is the last time it was moved, and I think even run.

post-5223-0-20042600-1483122797_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-11009600-1483122701_thumb.jpg

I really must take it for a spin sometime soon. The battery is kept on float charge, so that should be OK at least. And believe it or not it's still dry inside!!!